Bigger tires

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Timmyw04

Bigger tires

Post by Timmyw04 »

Has anybody put a 255/45 r18 on their car? If so what size wheels what offset etc.? I want to put them at all 4 corners
greasychevy

Re: Bigger tires

Post by greasychevy »

cant speak for the fronts, but i have 275/40/18 on the back-stock wheels, no problems. id think you'd be fine.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That is the tire size I'm going to be trying, but I'm also changing to some wider (8.5") wheels. Offset between 38 & 46 should be OK, and probably a few mm's either side of that as well. Just depends on whether you are lowering, too, or if you want the wheel/tire pushed out closer to edge of wheel opening.

255/45-18 is slightly shorter than OE tire, about 0.3" OD, so the visual difference will be slightly noticeable, but VERY minor, and if you do lower the car, will disappear as the fender-to-tire gap is reduced.

Proper wheel width for this tire is between 8" & 9.5".
Timmyw04

Post by Timmyw04 »

I don't plan on lowering the car. I just want a wider tire. I was also looking at possibly getting a set of wheels but I don't know if I can sneak that past the wife. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I'm pretty much set on getting the toyo proxes 4 plus. Just not sure if I will be purchasing wheels right now. If I do I'm not sure what offset but I'm sure it would be an 18x8.5. I woul like to push it out a little. I just don't want fitment issues (rubbing). With the factory wheels and tires it rubbed on the inner wheel well slightly when turned full lock. I'm not so worried about that. That's rare occasion. I'm more worried about the outside rubbing. I want to still be able to rotate my tires. That's why I didn't want do a staggered set up.

Thanks for all the info and help.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Bringing back an old thread but I recently found a set of 18x9 OZ Ultraleggeras for a good price so I'm dropping weight and ordering 255 45s. The great news is that I test fit them on my wife's V2 and they clear the Brembos...
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

eagle-co94 wrote:Bringing back an old thread but I recently found a set of 18x9 OZ Ultraleggeras for a good price so I'm dropping weight and ordering 255 45s. The great news is that I test fit them on my wife's V2 and they clear the Brembos...
ohh man! make sure you post pleanty of pictures. Getting some nice high end wheels!!
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)