TPMS sensor stem service when changing wheels or tires

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

TPMS sensor stem service when changing wheels or tires

Post by Navy Lifer »

As is normal practice with conventional rubber valve stems, many shops replace the stem with a new one when installing a new tire. It is usually a small add-on charge to the purchase.

With the advent of TPMS, the common service, in the case of a bolt-in sensor as the PPV is equipped, is installation of a kit to renew the seal, valve core, retaining nut, and valve cap--I'm guessing that shops may "force" this by telling the customer that it must be done to honor any warranty claim on a new tire or tires. I recall Discount Tire, for example, gets $7.50 per wheel for this kit.

Even if you're installing a new set of wheels yourself (in other words, buying wheels and/or tires from an outside source and then having a shop assemble them), and will be transferring over the sensors, it is still a good idea to include renewal of these parts in the process.

Here's a post from SS Forum I put up with information on what is available from GM to provide this service kit (retaining the existing sensor).

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... post129098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xcidmigs

Re: TPMS sensor stem service when changing wheels or tires

Post by xcidmigs »

What is the correct tool to use to do the relearn process at home? I read the SSforum thread on how to do it but didn't understand where people were getting a $40 tool to do it>
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

In my experience (dealer teach for 5 years Saturn/Mercedes) it is not complacently necessary to change the stem every tire change. I don't think i ever did it and never had any problems, on my wheels or customers. Not that it's a terrible idea, it's just $40 you don't really need to spend.

To relearn the TPMS

Key on
Go to "relearn tire pressures" in the DIC
Hit enter and the horn will chirp 2x
Starting at the LF fill or remove air from the tire for about 8 seconds and the horn will chirp 1x
Repeat for RF, RR, LR
After the LR sensor has been learned it will chirp 1x and then 2x
Turn off key
You're done

If you buy the tool its the same procedure, but instead of releasing or filling the air, you actuate the sensor with the tool.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

greasychevy wrote:In my experience it is not complacently necessary to change the stem every tire change. I don't think i ever did it and never had any problems, on my wheels or customers. Not that it's a terrible idea, it's just $40 you don't really need to spend.
Kevin, it's sort of like "while we have it apart, it's a good idea to replace the (insert an item here)....I can think of many example, such as thermostat, water pump, spark plugs, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and the list could go on.

As I mentioned earlier, many tire installers that have adjusted to deal with TPMS are erring on the side of caution by making replacing the stem or seal essentially mandatory--in order to protect their "investment" in the warranty that many customers opt for today. That may seem a bit predatory or considered to be an excessive charge, I understand it.

The service kit for the sensors used on PPV are available for a very low cost--quite a bit less than what the average tire shop typically will charge. It's up to the customer/shop to know if they can work out a deal or if the shop will insist on using their service kit (at their price).

Rock Auto - shipping will cost more than the parts, ironically!

currently $0.80 per kit:
Schrader #20004 (wholesaler closeout)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 532&jpid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

currently $3.17 per kit:
ACDelco 19117460 - OE for 2011-2013 PPV
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... d=2&jpid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand and accept that you've had good experience/luck with doing it your way--it's good insurance, just like servicing some other items as I mentioned earlier.
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I had new tires put on about a month ago. One tire was leaking about 10 lbs a day after the new tires were installed. I picked up a kit at Autozone for about 5 bucks on my way over, thinking that was it, and to avoid paying some crazy price. Sure enough, torn and leaking seal. They used my supplied kit and fixed it at no charge. I don't know why it began then, as I don't know why they'd remove and reinstall it. I'm thinking of having a Rockauto-sourced TPMS sensor on hand as well, as the tire store charges at least twice what I can get one from Rockauto.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Good info! I have my own tire machine and balancer. I always do new valve stems (on conventional rims) that have more than a few thousand miles on them or older than 1 year when remounting a tire. I also check for leaks with tire lube (it has a bubbly detergent as an ingredient) or a spray bottle of detergent when done. It takes an extra few minutes, but that's why I have my own equipment -- so I can take my time -- and hopefully do it right the first time. Although with my luck sometimes, getting it right the first time isn't always the case. lol

Anyways, next time I do tires on my PPV, I will be sure to get a valve stem kit as well.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.