Whats the max offset for rear wheels?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Capeasy

Whats the max offset for rear wheels?

Post by Capeasy »

I'm in the middle of having some steelies widened for the rear, gonna try to squeeze 2 more inches towards the inside. Does anyone know what the OEM offset is for our stock steel wheels? I tried looking for some illustration online of how offset is measured and also converting to MM and what is positive and negative offset. I know inches and how to measure from the axle flange to the inner fender or control arm clearance just not real savy to the + and- offsets lol.
Thanks
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
lastcall190

Re: Whats the max offset for rear wheels?

Post by lastcall190 »

I want to say the stock offset is 46 or 48mm. I believe offset is measured by taking the center of the wheel, and comparing to where the mounting face of the wheel is. Higher offset, wheels tuck more. Lower offset, wheels stick out more.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

OK , yeah that translates to about 1-7/8" . I still like using the mounting surface of the wheel to I believe the inner lip of the rim. At least that what I did with my 67 Nova when I mini tubed it. All this Metric is new to me. I think the shop thats going to widen the rims would probably need the back space dimension instead of the offset. I'll still have to find a cross section picture or illustration of how that offset relates to the backspace, I do better with pictures. lol
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I do too. See if this helps
wheeloffset.jpg
wheeloffset.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Right on thanks for the illustrations, Wow ! our wheels have alot of positive offset and here I'm trying to add another two inchs. If I didn't want to retain the Narc look I'd just put Alluminum wheels and probably half the weight. Well whats the worst that can happen. Lol.