Lugnut Caps for Dummies

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Crazy Paul

Lugnut Caps for Dummies

Post by Crazy Paul »

Single Hexagonal Push On Caps.

Packets of 20 Single Hexagonal Push On Caps.

Crazy Paul

Re: Lugnut Caps for Dummies

Post by Crazy Paul »

GM LOCK NUT SET & SCREW-ON CAPS TO SUIT

Buy 4 screw-on caps per car fitted with GM locknut set (pictured above).
GM Screw on caps probably won't fit aftermarket locknuts.

All the caps (push-on or screw-on) are made from plastic.
The caps often get broken when a noob puts a wrench or socket directly onto the cap.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

OK, so I purchased a single screw-on cap, 92182100 (silver), to check fit. I am using the OE 9C3 lug nuts with 27mm external threads. Nut PN is 9595175, which is a standard 14mm "bulge" style with the external thread below the hex.

The identified screw-on dress cap is not deep enough to reach the external threads on this lug nut.

Searching at the dealer, it was determined that the screw-on cap (in this case 92182100--did not check others) was a 2008-2009 part, which were G8 accessory parts intended for use with the lugnut lock kit--it remains unclear if there were also specific non-locking lugnuts (other than what is identified below) for the 16 other wheel stud positions.

My question is what is the GM lugnut PN that these caps work with?

What I can find by looking at aftermarket information is that there are several GM-style external-thread M14x1.5 lug nuts with the 27mm spec, and different overall heights.

One is 28.5mm overall length (Dorman 611-115) and the other is 25.5mm overall length (Dorman 611-149)

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/2006_hardware.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Section 10
Page 189

Using the Dorman cross-reference, GM 9595175 is shown as the taller version of the two they offer.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.a ... &q=9595175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The shorter Dorman lug nut (611-149) cross-references to GM 9591798, which is discontinued--the new GM PN that replaces this is 88891744.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28557-611-149.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additionally, the height of the lug nut, overall, combined with the wheel stud length, which projects slightly past the end of the nut, would likely prevent use of the screw-on caps identified here on the PPV, but I'm not certain of that. With the alternate shorter lug nut I'm able to identify, it appears to me that the 3mm difference is going to provide very minimal external thread engagement with the plastic cap.

I have not yet gone to the local parts store to check the cap fit on this shorter nut.

I had previously purchased a GM locking lug kit (un-opened at this point) PN 12498075, with taller locknuts than the kit you have identified. That kit, 92190654, is available in the US--assume it was a G8 accessory, and the nut height appears to be able to accept the screw-on caps you've identified.

GM PART # 92190654
CATEGORY: Front and Rear Wheel Lug Nut Cap
PACK QTY: 1
List Price: $92.49
Dealer Cost: $58.82

DESCRIPTION: NUT PKG

Thanks for the info, just need some clarification!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Dealer brought in a pack of the shorter (by 3mm) external thread lug nuts (88891744) - these lugs are the same dimensionally at the outer end as the production PPV lug nuts, so the thread-on dress caps do not work with either PN mentioned in these posts. Apparently, the thread-on caps C.P. has identified work only with the accessory locking lug kit for G8 (92190564).

I was hoping to be able to use the thread-on dress caps on all 5 wheel positions, but I guess they're not designed for that, unless I was to put the G8 wheel lock(s) on every wheel stud!

To use the push-on dress caps would mean no wheel locks (OK, no big deal), and a change of lug nuts to get rid of the external threads. Have not researched the correct PN for that approach.

Of course, there are many aftermarket options, with & without locks.