new wheels and tires

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
56nomad

new wheels and tires

Post by 56nomad »

I've never cared for RS-As so one of my first orders of business will be new tires. So, might as well replace the steelies while I'm at it, right? I was originally going to try to stay with the stock size wheels and tires, but after much consideration my current thinking is to go to 19s. Current wheel idea is the Chevy SS/Holden Redline forged wheel which seems to have a suitable offset. CP says he can source them in Oz, and I'm looking for them over here also (no luck so far - if anybody has a US source let me know!). Closest tire diameter I've found is 255/40-19, which is within 1%. And, Michelin makes the Pilot Super Sport, a great tire, in that size. If anybody has experience with this size tire on a PPV, please let me know. Also, I'm open to suggestions on both wheels and tires if anybody has a different opinion. Thanks!

Jim Bates
l77

Re: new wheels and tires

Post by l77 »

CTS-V wheels staggered setup, plenty new take offs on forums and fleabay. Supplies are abundant if you keep looking you may find a like new set for around 1k. Used to have these on my white hot G8 GT.

56nomad wrote:I've never cared for RS-As so one of my first orders of business will be new tires. So, might as well replace the steelies while I'm at it, right? I was originally going to try to stay with the stock size wheels and tires, but after much consideration my current thinking is to go to 19s. Current wheel idea is the Chevy SS/Holden Redline forged wheel which seems to have a suitable offset. CP says he can source them in Oz, and I'm looking for them over here also (no luck so far - if anybody has a US source let me know!). Closest tire diameter I've found is 255/40-19, which is within 1%. And, Michelin makes the Pilot Super Sport, a great tire, in that size. If anybody has experience with this size tire on a PPV, please let me know. Also, I'm open to suggestions on both wheels and tires if anybody has a different opinion. Thanks!

Jim Bates
Last edited by l77 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Looks very nice!

I kind of like the split 5-spoke CTS-V Race car wheels, but in 19's...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
l77

Post by l77 »

Replaced images of the cts-v wheels in my previous post with some cellphone pics of my own G8.

My tires were Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 255/40ZR19s, these tires have a unique pattern and performed surprisingly well.

May go back to these tires after I decide which wheels to get.
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Very interesting tread pattern for a non-directional tire. You say these performed well?
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
l77

Post by l77 »

The Tech wrote:Very interesting tread pattern for a non-directional tire. You say these performed well?
Not as good as pilot sport ps2, but in their price range they are hard to beat ~ ~ ~
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm