Lug Nut Size Question

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
bluethunder

Lug Nut Size Question

Post by bluethunder »

my 2012 has some weird lug nuts.......after trying metric and American sizes I cant figure out what the hell is up. Opened the spare and thought I would use the factory lug wrench and that wont fit over the lugs either. Not sure what to think about it.... anyone have this problem before ??

Thanks
indianajoe

Re: Lug Nut Size Question

Post by indianajoe »

Might have more luck posting a picture of the lugs in question.

Are they stock lugs with the caps broken off? (They end up an odd inbetween size when that happens)
Or some kind of aftermarket splined lug?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, a picture will help. The factory lug nuts, however, do have a 'chrome' cover on them, so without it they'll be slightly smaller than the factory lug wrench. Even with the cover, though, because that cover can deform through use, the fit is tight on both the factory lug wrench and regular sockets. I've actually found standard sockets to fit better, the deeper socket you can find the better.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

The covers on these lugnuts (and most gm cars recently) are horrible, I used to work in a tire shop and you wouldn't believe how many had the covers broken off, which leads to rounding out the lug because guys are still putting the 7/8 socket on now that it's just slightly smaller now
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

the beauty cover on that style lugnut sweels and changes the size. I manage a big tire shop in the north east and this is a problem we run into daily!! I know companies like west coast accessories sells nice solid 1 piece lugnuts
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
kevink

Post by kevink »

I put these on my car. They're chrome plated solid steel with no crappy cover. I never use an impact on them, but I always make sure to use a flank drive socket to prevent chipping the chrome off of the points of the hex. So far they have been fine. Although I only drove the car about 1,400 miles in the year after I put them on, the chrome is still perfect (no rust or chips). They're M14x1.5 with a 22mm hex.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JN ... UTF8&psc=1

2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Thanks for the replies, as mentioned I believe the cover over the lug nut has swollen over time and that has messed them up. Time for new lugs with no outer tin cover to swell up. Some of them I will have to hammer the socket over to get them off. What a pain!!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

kevink wrote:I put these on my car. They're chrome plated solid steel with no crappy cover. I never use an impact on them, but I always make sure to use a flank drive socket to prevent chipping the chrome off of the points of the hex. So far they have been fine. Although I only drove the car about 1,400 miles in the year after I put them on, the chrome is still perfect (no rust or chips). They're M14x1.5 with a 22mm hex.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JN ... UTF8&psc=1

Man, where was this when I was looking?? Better late than never, though, so thank you for the link. I'll be placing an order soon, as that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I just have to try to come up with a small tool bag to hold the pull-handle and socket to work on these when on the road.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ordered a set. I'll see if they can also fit our Tahoe (it's wheel studs are about 1/4" longer than the ones on the Caprice). If they fit, I'll order a set for it, too. Bonus points: they take a 22mm socket, same as OEM, to remove/install them. Sweet!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?