The threaded insert in the steelie wheel for center caps

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
v8suprcapric

The threaded insert in the steelie wheel for center caps

Post by v8suprcapric »

Anyone know how this threaded insert is installed? Discount Tire tried to put my center caps on without the spacer washers and in doing so mushroomed the end of the bolts tightening them up against the hub, and when they tried to take them out one of the threaded inserts started spinning so now they can't even get the center cap off.
Anybody have a part number for the center cap hardware? They also lost a couple of the spacer washers.
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
kevink

Re: The threaded insert in the steelie wheel for center caps

Post by kevink »

They are pressed in from the back side and have "splines" on them so they bite into the ID of the hole in the wheel. If one is spinning, you are most likely going to have to tack weld it on from the back side. You could try putting a new one in, if you can even find one, but chances are the hole in the wheel is now a larger diameter and a new insert will just flop around in the hole.

Can the lugs be removed with the center cap in place? I hope so for your sake!
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
kevink

Post by kevink »

By the way, the inserts are bare metal and are pressed in after the wheel is painted. Not that it matters, it's just something I noticed on my super low miles car.
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

kevink wrote:They are pressed in from the back side and have "splines" on them so they bite into the ID of the hole in the wheel. If one is spinning, you are most likely going to have to tack weld it on from the back side. You could try putting a new one in, if you can even find one, but chances are the hole in the wheel is now a larger diameter and a new insert will just flop around in the hole.

Can the lugs be removed with the center cap in place? I hope so for your sake!
Yah the lugs can be removed with the center cap on. So right now I've got the center cap on by two bolts and the third is stuck in the wheel. Hopefully they'll buy me a new wheel and pay to have it widened. What a waste, oh well at least I'll have a matching spare now. You'd think a tire shop could be competent enough to take some tires on and off.
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
kevink

Post by kevink »

I'm not sure I would go through all that. I would make a new insert, weld it in, and have them pay for a new wheel.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Agreed. Pull the wheel, and pin the insert with a center punch, pull the bolt, then have it tack-welded in place. Chase the threads, paint it so it doesn't rust, and quit installing the hubcap bolts with an impact wrench! :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?