wheel options?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

wheel options?

Post by Navy Lifer »

2014 CTS coupe wheel would look nice on PPV - this may or may not be real or final design

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/cadil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 13_600.jpg
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... sign.html#

From Chevy High Performance Nationals - Atlanta Dragway, June 1 : Photos
bkwagonss

Re: wheel options?

Post by bkwagonss »

Bill, do you figure they were stock CTS tires on there too, or lower profile.
I've been looking at a lot of wheels, but mostly 20".
I like the silver wheels on the blue car.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Barry,

The G8 GXP with Brembo brakes, just like the new VF Chevy SS sedan, use 19" wheels. The Camaro, for whatever reason, has a brake pad package the includes the 2 big "slugs" that stand out further (radially) outside of the caliper, which you can see clearly in the picture of the Camaro in my initial post--these are pad dampers, which are there to reduce possible pad noise (squeal) conditions, I think. Unfortunately, the Camaro Brembo package also requires 20" wheels--not sure if that is what creates the clearance issue, or if it's a different caliper contour.

If I recall correctly, the early CTS-V uses 18" wheels, which makes me wonder if the package on the G8 pictured would actually clear 18's, but there may be a wheel offset and inboard wheel spoke profile situation that would require wheels of the correct shape to work (at 18") - both CTS-V and G8 GXP use 355mm front rotors, as does the Camaro SS Brembo setup. It's just that each configuration used different calipers, which created different wheel clearance requirement.

Personally, even though I have a set of Camaro 20's, I would rather stick with 18's or 19's, and if a brake upgrade is in the works for the future, I would figure that into the mix. The OE 20's are fairly heavy, comparatively, and I'd rather look for something lighter--the OE Camaro 18's I'm using now are MUCH lighter than the OE 20's. 20's seem to be the new "norm", but I'm just not that much of a fan of so much wheel vs tire sidewall....but I'm an old fart, so I suppose it's to be expected, or, at least, no surprise to anyone that knows me!

Without getting too hung up on it, I mentioned the 2014 CTS coupe, with wheels I've only seen in that picture, but I still like them, even though I suspect they're 20". There are many other wheel options out there, such as the VMR's and some of the alternative OE and/or others, such as the Replicast HSV which may be offered in 19".

What I'm really curious to find out is what are the offset numbers on the 19" SS sedan wheels (8.5" front and 9" rear)--and how those dimensions stack up against Camaro 20's (8" front & 9" rear), which are known to create rear wheel opening clearance issues on PPV. Give me a set of 4 OE SS 19x8.5" wheels and I think I'd be happy, though I might want to re-finish them differently (no "chrome" fan here).

My other option is to take the Camaro 18's, which are 7.5" and have them widened to 8.5" (especially if they'll clear a CTS-V brake setup) - I would have to create a spacer setup to deal with the offset change, but I enjoy that sort of challenge.
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

Well, what do you think of these?
http://pptac.http.internapcdn.net/pptac ... /13911.jpg
Enkei Performance Ammodo
19x8 5x120 +42mm offset.
hyper silver powder coat.
245/40-19 tire size recommended.
$203 each
$1766 with tires and TPMS, mounting & balancing and shipping.
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

It's nice, but a little too busy for me. Just adds weight!
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

Finally decided on wheels for the Caprice.
Cadillac CTS 19x8.5 chromed.
Bought them off ebay with new tires and sensors.
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Nice, what is the offset?

Are these OE or knockoff?

Where are they made?

Link to the e-bay store, just to browse?

Your size choice really is the best for the application, as far as 19"--IMO. I know some would like more tire in back for both appearance and improved straight-line grip (ie. drag strip). The extra rim width will spread the sidewall/section width slightly and make the tire look fatter...a good thing!
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

They are new OE take-off wheels that have been PVD chromed (it's like chrome powdercoating).
The offset is +48.
The tires are 245/45r19

They have another set, but they are the ones like the Holden & G8, 9" wide.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-CTS-CT ... 1130297773

There are some other auctions out there with the staggered CTS-V wheels.
I just didn't want to take a chance with the wider wheels.
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

The wheels came in yesterday and I had a chance to put them on today.
Just in time for the GM Nationals in Carlisle.
Here's a couple of shots in the driveway for now.
I'll take some nicer pictures in Carlisle.
Perfect fit and they feel good.
The Caddy center caps are bigger than the Chevy caps I have so I'll have to look for other caps.
I believe Chevy Traverse caps will fit.
Carlisle is a good place to find them.
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

Looks good! I liked your Camaro wheels, though!