Chevy SS wheels alternatives

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
lsxJERRY

Chevy SS wheels alternatives

Post by lsxJERRY »

I'm really interested in buying Chevy SS wheels, I just can't justify the $300+ per wheel price. Anyone know of a more affordable clone to this wheel? I've searched high and low, found few that look anywhere similar. The ones that look similar don't match up to our 5-120mm bolt pattern.

Here's a picture of the wheel from another thread:

I'm even willing to ship from Australia if the price is cheaper.
eagle-co94

Re: Chevy SS wheels alternatives

Post by eagle-co94 »

Be careful what you ask for. If you don't care about weight and quality I believe there is a replica version that's cast instead of forged. No word on quality.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Agreed!
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

I'm sure OEM is the best as far as quality, just the supply isn't there. Only found 2 19x8.5 SS wheels for $450 each plus shipping.

Direct from GM they're going for $500+

I found this so far that is similar, fits G8 according to TireRack

Monte Titano MT3 SOPRA 18x8 $117 each
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Those will allow you to swap tires without issue but if you want to go up to 19's, specifically the SS:

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/ss-parts/ ... -sale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/ss-parts/ ... -rims.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Get 'em while they're hot....

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/ss-parts/ ... tires.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Navy Lifer wrote:Get 'em while they're hot....

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/ss-parts/ ... tires.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't view the pictures, permission denied. I asked some family and friends to look at both the SS wheels and the Monte Titano wheels and so far everyone says they look the same if not the Monte Titano look better. At a cost of $117 per wheel, I can get 2 wheels for the price of one SS wheel. Saves me money for other stuff like supercharger and interior pieces I'm installing come Spring/Summer.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Whatever the Monte Titano wheel is...the OE SS wheel is forged aluminum, made in USA by Alcoa, and designed/engineered for the rated load of this vehicle class. They are also lighter than most aftermarket cast wheels of the same size range--there are exceptions, to be sure, but IF wheels are lighter, what is their load rating? Those lighter cast wheels aren't at the lower-cost end of the scale, either.

Not trying to suggest aftermarket wheels aren't up to the task, but it does raise some questions/concerns--they may be fine, but a wheel failure at the worst time makes the OE wheels look cheap by comparison.

1. Is the wheel load rating published? (if these are wheels sold by Tire Rack, for example, they should either publish or be able to tell you this info)

2. How much does the wheel weigh? Granted, the OE PPV steel wheel is HEAVY at about 32#, so anything less can be considered a bonus.

3. Is the center-bore correct for Zeta, or does it require a centering ring/is ring included?

4. If a brake upgrade may be in the future (considering the addition of supercharger, this shouldn't be ignored--more go, more whoa)--you want to be sure the wheel choice poses no clearance issues with any brake upgrades.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Navy Lifer wrote:Whatever the Monte Titano wheel is...the OE SS wheel is forged aluminum, made in USA by Alcoa, and designed/engineered for the rated load of this vehicle class. They are also lighter than most aftermarket cast wheels of the same size range--there are exceptions, to be sure, but IF wheels are lighter, what is their load rating? Those lighter cast wheels aren't at the lower-cost end of the scale, either.

Not trying to suggest aftermarket wheels aren't up to the task, but it does raise some questions/concerns--they may be fine, but a wheel failure at the worst time makes the OE wheels look cheap by comparison.

1. Is the wheel load rating published? (if these are wheels sold by Tire Rack, for example, they should either publish or be able to tell you this info)

2. How much does the wheel weigh? Granted, the OE PPV steel wheel is HEAVY at about 32#, so anything less can be considered a bonus.

3. Is the center-bore correct for Zeta, or does it require a centering ring/is ring included?

4. If a brake upgrade may be in the future (considering the addition of supercharger, this shouldn't be ignored--more go, more whoa)--you want to be sure the wheel choice poses no clearance issues with any brake upgrades.
I've been going back and forth between decisions and so far the MT3 Sopra wheels look best as far as value goes. I know for a fact that the OEM Chevy SS wheels are superior as quality goes, being that it is a forged wheel. But I just can't justify spending almost $2-3k for wheels/tires/install/balance. That's almost 1/3 of what I paid for the car. I thank you for all the help though. To answer some questions:

1. Link to wheels specs: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... toModClar=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. 25 lbs.

3. According to TireRack these bolt up as aftermarket replacements.

4. They are 18inch wheels, most aftermarket brake kits fit behind 18inch wheels. The stop brakes with upgraded parts should be more than plenty though.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think I paid about $1200 for the set I got. Low mile SS wheels. Maybe I paid too much, but they were almost NOS.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?