TPMS woes

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
elc32955
System Manager

Re: TPMS woes

Post by elc32955 »

That's probably one of those manual entries you have to take with a grain of salt. I was trying to keep my tires at 34 PSI cold so when I ran down the road the hot pressure was 36. But, the TPMS doesn't like 34 as it starts alarming on multiple tires on cold startup. So, I'm running 37-38 cold right now (equal to 39-41 hot) and no more alarms. I'd love to lower the setpoints on the system, but it's probably not one of those things we have routine access to. 25 to 28 PSI would probably be a good trip threshold to let you know you have a tire slowly deflating.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Just another thing to add to the list for future assist from GM.

Anyone know (if TPMS was offered on G8) what the pressure threshold settings were?
gregc

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:Just another thing to add to the list for future assist from GM.

Anyone know (if TPMS was offered on G8) what the pressure threshold settings were?
I'm pretty sure TPMS was standard on G8s because in 2005, all new cars MY 05 sold in the US had to have it.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

gregc wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:Just another thing to add to the list for future assist from GM.

I'm pretty sure TPMS was standard on G8s because in 2005, all new cars MY 05 sold in the US had to have it.
+1. We would also have to confirm that it's multi-channel TPMS and not some sort of batch system that was on the earlier cars. I think the early systems didn't index the wheels. It just turned on the light if one or more tires were low but couldn't tell you which tire. I like how the PPV actually tells you which tire. Many cars made just a few years back can't even tell you that.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

My 2009 GMC Sierra had TPMS, and it showed each wheel...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

storm9c1 wrote:
gregc wrote:

+1. We would also have to confirm that it's multi-channel TPMS and not some sort of batch system that was on the earlier cars. I think the early systems didn't index the wheels. It just turned on the light if one or more tires were low but couldn't tell you which tire. I like how the PPV actually tells you which tire. Many cars made just a few years back can't even tell you that.
I'm going to assume the G8 used the same basic 4-position display as PPV, but have not confirmed it.

I had a 2004 Impala SS (yes, FWD) that had a "TPMS", but no wheel sensors--it simply relied on the 4 ABS wheel rotation sensors, by constantly measuring variation/comparison to set an alarm--a low tire would register a higher wheel rotation speed for a given distance as the tire pressure dropped and road-to-axle radius decreased, and activate the alarm at a threshold value. Simple and effective, if you ask me.

The need for the more sophisticated individual readout system, with tire pressure info that may or may not be accurate, is a nice bit of technology, and I suppose it's intended to give the "average" driver a warm & fuzzy to see what individual pressures are. For most of "us", I'd like to think that we're not in need of a Nanny to do anything other than tell us that a tire is low, and we'll know what to do from there. I do check pressures myself periodically, not just relying on the dispaly--sensors can and do vary or fail, which only adds to maintenance expense, ultimately, and it's all mandated by the Feds.

No slight of your position intended, Tom (Storm)....just looking at the reality of what technology has done to us...sort of the way that car alarms are so common that they often/largely are ignored, so why have one!?!
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I had a 2004 Impala SS (yes, FWD) that had a "TPMS", but no wheel sensors--it simply relied on the 4 ABS wheel rotation sensors, by constantly measuring variation/comparison to set an alarm--a low tire would register a higher wheel rotation speed for a given distance as the tire pressure dropped and road-to-axle radius decreased, and activate the alarm at a threshold value. Simple and effective, if you ask me.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that technology as well. I agree it was simple. I'm sure the average person complained that it was useless because they had no idea what tire was low. The average person probably doesn't even know how to use a tire pressure gauge. You'd be surprised by the number of people I talk to who treat cars as a black-box appliance with no other intent but to get from point A to point B, and it has to be a fun ride, complete with plenty of entertainment. They probably wouldn't even "drive" if they were given the option for the car to drive itself. We are special since we are enthusiasts. And we like to DRIVE. And we like to drive V8 muscle cars.
The need for the more sophisticated individual readout system, with tire pressure info that may or may not be accurate, is a nice bit of technology, and I suppose it's intended to give the "average" driver a warm & fuzzy to see what individual pressures are. For most of "us", I'd like to think that we're not in need of a Nanny to do anything other than tell us that a tire is low, and we'll know what to do from there. I do check pressures myself periodically, not just relying on the dispaly--sensors can and do vary or fail, which only adds to maintenance expense, ultimately, and it's all mandated by the Feds.

No slight of your position intended, Tom (Storm)....just looking at the reality of what technology has done to us...sort of the way that car alarms are so common that they often/largely are ignored, so why have one!?!
Oh believe me, prior to the PPV, I owned low-tech cars. The LT1 in the B-Bodies are about as high-tech as I liked, and it's still a cable driven throttle with a simplistic PCM. I absoultely hate the concept of drive by wire. And I don't like the concept of a "body control module". Too complicated IMO. Along with all of the other "nanny" technologies that they are putting in cars these days. I also hate the fact that some newer cars have GPS that can be tracked, and black boxes that can record your every move. A co-worker owns a newer Mazda, and every time he starts the car, there is an audible alarm, and he has to press an "Accept" button on his nav screen to clear a warning message that using the nav while driving is dangerous. WTF. And it locks out the display until he presses that button. That would drive me nuts every time I start the car. Especially the audible alarm, along with the usual dings for seatbelts and every other paranoid thing. The irony is that I'm a computer engineer by day. And I'm certainly no stranger to high-tech. And this is exactly why I hate it! I don't trust it! A car should be driven. If anything gets in my way of driving it, I don't want it.

Since the PPV was destined to be a police-only car, and they have to hold up to severe use, I imagine they purposely aren't including some of these gadgets -- and that's fine by me.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Interesting to me, that since weather has turned cooler, and I've been able to see cold pressures as low as 31-32 PSI on TPMS, that the nuisance low-pressure alarms that were experienced in the warmer part of the year, and at higher pressures than mentioned above, have not re-occurred (yet)....I'm curious whether it may just be luck, or if the system eventually "learns" a new normal, or if it's something else.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

This last Friday, my TPMS indicated a low Right Rear, but all of the sensors were reading 32 psi. I inflated all four tires up to 38 and after about a mile of driving the warning went away.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Maurice, how noticeable was the change in ride quality with the 6 PSI cold setting increase?

Are you currently using the Goodyear RS-A's?

I decided from the first day that I wanted to be on other tires than the production offering.