TPMS woes

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
elc32955
System Manager

TPMS woes

Post by elc32955 »

My TPMS system is recently started acting up and it's starting to drive me crazy! I keep getting the 1000 cps warning chime and warnings for low air pressure on my tires, except that it's erratic and intermittent. Two tires (example - LR and RR) can show the exact same pressure (example - 34 PSI), the LR will throw a warning on start-up, the RR won't. Or they both will, or neither will.

I know this has probably been covered a million times in different forums, but is anyone else seeing the same issues I am? It may be dealer time.....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Re: TPMS woes

Post by gregc »

I haven't had issues with mine. But I only have 2500 miles on it. I put brand new TPMS on my Camaro rims and left the originals in the PPV rims. Did you remove the TPMS off your old rims and reuse them for your new rims?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yes. They came off the steelies and were placed onto the G8 rims. Direct interchange from all indications. They worked fine for some time, just this last two months they've been starting to go bonkers. I had attributed it to cold weather and tire pressure changes, but now I'm not sure at all...
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Post by gregc »

elc32955 wrote:Yes. They came off the steelies and were placed onto the G8 rims. Direct interchange from all indications. They worked fine for some time, just this last two months they've been starting to go bonkers. I had attributed it to cold weather and tire pressure changes, but now I'm not sure at all...
When I had my tires put on, the installer wanted to charge me for a TPMS rebuild kit, which is half of the system. The part that goes in the rim stays, the valve stem part is supposed to get replaced. Since I bought an entirely new TPMS, I didn't need the rebuild kit. Have you put enough miles on it to recalibrate?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I think the pressure readings are accurate, it's just triggering the stupid dash alarm. Wonder if there are setpoints that can be altered in the BCM that manage this function. I was thinking if other people have had this problem there might be a TSB out covering it somewhere.

Car has 18K and change on it right now. I could probably get the dealer to try to recalibrate, just trying to avoid dismounting the tires since the rims on the car are not original and I think they'd probably charge for it (even though they are GM rims, well G8 rims anyway).
gregc

Post by gregc »

You may need to reset your TPMS. Here's what I found about mine. Since Pep Boys installed my tires on the rims, but not on the car, they didn't program my TPMS. After driving to the muffler shop to get my exhaust tips installed, my TPMS warning light came on and the dash said TPMS fault. I looked in the manual to see how I can clear the code. It said you have to reprogram the TPMS with a TPMS programming tool. Since I don't have such a tool, I took it to Pep Boys and had them program it free of charge since they mounted the tires on my wheels. Each TPMS is specific to the location of the tire, LF, RF,RR and LR. So if you rotate your tires, you have to reprogram your TPMS so the vehicle knows which tire's tire pressure. You can also buy the tool on ebay. It's $80. Part number is EL-50448

Even if you have staggered tires, the car will know the fronts from the rears as long as you program the TPMS in the right order. You have to start with LF, RF, RR, and LR.

You used to be able to reprogram the TPMS by going into the programing mode, then deflate your tire till the horn beeps, but GM changed the method to reprogramming the TPMS because it was picking up the TPMS signal of another car in close proximity. The TPMS works by sending radio radio signals to the BCM
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a little update on this, I decided to do an experiment. I pumped the tires up to around 40 PSI warm, the TPMS says they are between 39 and 41 running down the Interstate. But, all the warnings finally quit!

I think our TPMS programming just doesn't like any tire pressures under 35 PSI for some reason. Given that down here we always pick up 2-3 PSI when the tires are heated, this puts me at 38 hot if I'm running 35 cold. Weird the way the alarms trigger, one 34 PSI reading will trigger an alarm condition and another on an adjacent tire won't.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

elc32955 wrote:Just a little update on this, I decided to do an experiment. I pumped the tires up to around 40 PSI warm, the TPMS says they are between 39 and 41 running down the Interstate. But, all the warnings finally quit!

I think our TPMS programming just doesn't like any tire pressures under 35 PSI for some reason. Given that down here we always pick up 2-3 PSI when the tires are heated, this puts me at 38 hot if I'm running 35 cold. Weird the way the alarms trigger, one 34 PSI reading will trigger an alarm condition and another on an adjacent tire won't.
Yes, mine does this too. I keep them above 35 cold. Which quiets the alarm. I noticed that if multiple tires get too low at the same time, only one tire will show alarm unless another tire falls significantly more. But it's kinda random... I also noticed that once the alert is triggered and the tire heats up and the pressure goes up a PSI or two (to 35), it still won't reset. I need to add a few PSI of air to make it happy. So there must be a hysterisis involved.

Keep in mind that factory spec pressure is like 42psi or something (recalling from memory). Look at the sticker on your door jamb. The factory spec is too high for me. Bumps are too rough (wasn't the suspension softened for the 2012 model year?). So I keep mine lower than spec to smooth the ride a little.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Mine like to beep at around 32. I've found 38 all around is an acceptable compromise for me. I bought one of those tire pressure reset tools, off the internet. Really cool to have on hand. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

storm9c1 wrote:
elc32955 wrote:The factory spec is too high for me. Bumps are too rough (wasn't the suspension softened for the 2012 model year?). So I keep mine lower than spec to smooth the ride a little.
Springs are the same, but shocks changed for 2012 & later.

Owner's manual says 36 PSI at all positions for "normal" (non-full load or high-speed) use.