TPMS woes

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
leadfart

Re: TPMS woes

Post by leadfart »

My understanding, of course I could be wrong, is the TPMS only reads the four tires set into the system. It should not have been reading the pressure of your spare, unless the system was not re-learned, when you had the tires rotated. It is not reading your spare and the rest of the tires, I think. :idea:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I agree with Bob on this one. The four tires set into the system are the ones that read. The spare has a sensor but if it is not activated into the system then it does not show a reading. When the tires are rotated then the system needs to be reset so that the sensor locations are detected by the system.

When the car is running the system is on and readings will update. I have added air to a tire while the car is stationary and the system updates about every minute or so to give current readings.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
phastlt1

Post by phastlt1 »

I did the tpms learn today, as I never thought about that after rotation. It is still reading the spare as the LF. I really despise this tpms crap...I guess I'm old school, I can tell when I need to put air in a tire, or have a flat. I had the spare on a few months ago when I flat spotted a rim, but took it off when I got my replacement wheel. Evidently, the car thinks it's still on there....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Well....I WAS wrong!

The system "reads" all 5 tires. The physical rotation of a wheel is not essential to display a low pressure alarm, but the 5th position, whether spare or on car, is not viewable on the DIC, which only shows the 4 positions the DIC is told are "on ground"--assuming the sensors have been properly matched to their display positions correctly. The 5th position data (pressure) is only viewable on a Tech tool.

There is no simple DIY solution--when the tires are rotated, IF you care that the DIC displays the 4 tires on the ground in their correct position, it is necessary to re-set the system to put information that broadcasts from each sensor in the proper location on the display, which will require some sort of external device--whether you buy one, or go to a dealer for the service, or if a tire store that has the tool/device performs the service (if they are trustworthy).

Example: Discount Tire offers free (lifetime) rotation with tire purchase, and most locations will have the necessary device/tool(s)--and SHOULD re-set the system as part of the rotation service, at no charge.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Good to know, but if he is still getting a LF low sensor reading from the spare, that means reset was not done properly. On my Fleabay tool, you set the park brake, turn the ignition on, and press both lock and unlock buttons on the remote, at the same time. This puts the TPMS in learn, then you go to the LF, point the tool at the wheel, near the valve stem, lights come and horn chips, same with RF, RR, and LR. Two chirps with LR, indicates all done.

It must be done in that sequence exactly, or you start over. Also a good idea to leave the driver's side window down, and use both remotes. Obviously the tech tool is somewhat different. :)

TPMS can have a nasty personality! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

I am also having a similar issue. Now that it has gotten colder here (CT) the tire pressure warning has been flashing in the morning. After a few hours the tire pressure will build and the warning goes away. I raised the cold pressure to 38psi and no warning lights. The problem is that the tire pressures are building to 40- 42psi and is to harsh of a ride. Also at that pressure on the highway the car will jump a bit if I hit a small bump ( still on the Original Good year's) Can the TPM be reset to give a warning at a lower pressure?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

sardillim wrote:Can the TPM be reset to give a warning at a lower pressure?
You perfectly described the problem with the stock low pressure threshold settings.

Short answer--yes.

From page 3 of the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11&start=20#p2855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

excellent ! thank you
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, I had a TPMS go bad on my left front last week. The symptoms were very erratic pressure readings (from zero to 99 PSI) in a few minutes over and over again. My TPMS screen finally bonged like six times and displayed "Tire Fault" and self-disabled the whole system. I did have a chance to visit Discount Tire for a flat repair (coincidentally - not in the same wheel) and verified when this fault mode occurs the kindly dealer has to reset the system with a Tech 2.

So.... off to the dealer......
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

so, was a sensor replaced? You don't mention anything about whether you had Discount install a replacement, if you are going to try the reset to restore the function of the questionable sensor...or?

You seem a little "annoyed" to be having to visit the dealer..... :P