TPMS woes

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: TPMS woes

Post by Navy Lifer »

ImpalaPPV wrote:Is it possible to just disable or have someone disable or adjust the settings for TPMS? I'm assuming it can't be done with a regular tuner and a dealer won't do it for liability reasons.
I missed this....curious about the "dealer won't do it for liability reasons" statement. Did you actually get this response? The system IS adjustable, for a reason. IF a customer has a complaint about nuisance alarms because the system low pressure threshold is too close to the NORMAL pressure range, which, for PPV, could be as low as 36 PSI per owner's manual (within sensor variability limits), the response by the dealer should be to resolve the issue by making an adjustment to the system low threshold settings. We did that on my PPV, and there's no liability issue--the system is still
functioning.

As posted here:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=20#p2855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve, what issues are you having, out of curiosity?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Looking at our tire stickers (2011):

So an observation I just made. Since we have different recommendations for front and rear tire pressure I submit that the warning triggers are different for front and rear. I think this is why most people seem to report nuisance warnings coming from the rear tires first.

So lets say the margin is 10psi margin from the recommended.
That would mean warnings would occur this way:

_________Reccomended_________Warning______
Front..............39........................29
Rear...............44........................34

Bill when they reprogrammed yours did you see the screen they did it on? Was there seperate entries for front and rear?

At my work we recently did a work van with recomendations of 55 front and 80 rear. The tire tech not thinking there was a diffrence did 55 psi in all the tires and put them on. Tire light did not go off till the rears had at lease 70psi in them. So once the tire locations are learned by the system they can/may have different alarm trigger points between front and rear.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Navy Lifer wrote:
Steve, what issues are you having, out of curiosity?
Same as Eric in post number one. Especially cold morning (50 degrees here in CA HA!) Get a warning on the left rear. Pressure states 34 goes up as I drive, still warning. Next day right rear does same thing, same pressure. And fronts are even lower with no warning. Took the rears up to 40psi (displayed) and that cleared it. Think that is the final solution short of a reprogram at the dealer. Run more in the rears.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Steve, I was standing right there when the tech did it--my recollection is that each position gets an individual setpoint, but I could be wrong--I'll have to ask him.

It's essentially the same issue I was dealing with. Lowered all alarm settings to 30 PSI, which I do not consider too low, and now I have no more nuisance alarms, unless a tire actually gets that low, of course.

PPV owner's manual calls for 36 PSI on all four positions for "normal" use--based on the OE tire specs. When I set the tires at 36, this put the factory-programmed TPM alarm threshold too close for those fall & winter mornings when it's really cool but quickly warms up and clears the alarm. It mostly means that in the summer to fall/winter transition period, we all need to remember that the tires need to be adjusted/re-set to allow for cold pressures being "too low" for TPMS to keep quiet.

The suspension of a PPV is designed with the expectation that the vehicle will be carrying a good bit of upfit equipment during it's service life. As I'm using the vehicle, that is not the case, so the springs are stiffer (higher load capable) than my normal use conditions call for. At 44 PSI (rear pressure per door label), that leads to what I consider unnecessary harshness, so I run in the 36 PSI range. Just as PURSUIT (Maurice) has done, I will be changing to SS sedan springs for the future, both lowering the car slightly (reported ~3/4") and to back off on the spring rate for a more compliant ride.