Who's rolled their rear quarters and how are the results?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
eagle-co94

Who's rolled their rear quarters and how are the results?

Post by eagle-co94 »

I've got 3 sets of V2 wheels/tires and I'm trying to decide which ones I will run. One set is 4 polished fronts so they're all 19x9. The second set is polished from a sedan so they're 19x9 front and 19x9.5 rear. The third set is flat black from a coupe so they're 19x9 front and 19x10 rear. I'd love to put the coupe wheels on if I can roll the fenders but want to hear about the results. I figured I'd pick up an Eastwood fender roller to do the job as I'm not sure about the $50 copies on ebay unless someone has experience with them.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
xcidmigs

Re: Who's rolled their rear quarters and how are the results

Post by xcidmigs »

isn't the issue with that going to be the size tires you are running? seems like the people who report rubbing are running take off camaro size tires from what i recall. 245/45/19 fits no problem on 19x8 camaro wheels is there something i can take a picture of for you to help?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

James, what are the offset numbers on the wheels you have?

Those using Camaro SS 20" wheels, with the 9" rear having +40mm offset, get into the rear outer sheetmetal when the car is lowered or heavily loaded when running stock-size Camaro tires (275/40--too tall for sedans, IMO) or something shorter. The common thing with a 9" or wider wheel is to use at least 275 section width, and the +40mm offset of the Camaro wheel will put the tire into the fender. I'm thinking the V wheels have greater offset (between 50 & 60mm) which buys you some room.

As for rolling the (rear) fenders, the results are mixed--reach out to novadeuce (Scott W) for his experience with having it done. The stresses in the rear wheel arches make them delicate & difficult to roll, and it's easy to make things turn out "not good".
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

That's what I've read. It may have been his post somewhere that mentioned a crease forming at 12 o'clock and having to have a professional fix it.

The wheel sizes are:
19x9 et 51
19x9.5 et 56
19x10 et 40

x, thanks for the offer but if you're running 19x8" wheels you're 1-2" too narrow for what I plan to do. Do you know what offset your wheels are?
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Ive rolled my rears preatty heavily. Didnt do a pull, just rolled them. I have c6 z06 19x12 on the rear with 305/30's stretched on there. youll have pleanty of room.

To answer your question though they rolled really nice and easy. If you use heat as well the paint should remain undamaged. I dont know about these said creases at 12 o'clock. I dont have any. Ill post some photos later
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

(sorry thats my sig)
Im out side of buffalo NY.
The car is on some crappy g8 coilovers. The rears are maxed out, to the extent that the rear spring was sagged a bit. Ive noticed your very by the books so you might not be too fond of the way the rear is setup right now. Im planning on doing a small building thread just kind of explaing what i did once work slows down a bit and im settled in my house.

The wheels are factory c6 z06 wheels so 18x9.5 front and 19x12 rears. I made sure I found oem wheels since they are manufactured by speed line. They are way lighter and stronger than just about any after market wheel i could even consider spending money on. (less than 700 a piece)

Since the rears are so wide I have a little slip on 5mm spacer just to pull the wheel away from the inner fender. It still rubs on really big bumps. The biggest ive ever seen on a G8 was 11.5 before. Its amazing how little room there is for that extra half inch.

The .65mm difference in lug patterns isnt any thing im even a little concerned about. That less than the difference between new wheel and one thats had the lug nuts on and off 20 times.
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmmm, WHAT crappy G8 coil-overs?!? I have a set of BCs that I'm going to install this winter, that I got from a guy on the G8 forum. Which ones do you have? :?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I deleted my previous posts (in a couple of threads) once I saw your original post answering most of my questions...but I've got more!
S13REMI wrote:(sorry thats my sig)
Im out side of buffalo NY.
Figured that out from the Dunn Tire sign! (did a little searching online)

Ive noticed your very by the books so you might not be too fond of the way the rear is setup right now.
What I'm curious about would include what's left of suspension travel and what happens to alignment when the car is sitting that low?

Im planning on doing a small building thread just kind of explaing what i did once work slows down a bit and im settled in my house.
I'll be curious until then--I've been looking at some rear lower control arm mods myself (you may be looking at something like this? http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products ... superpro=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a guide)

The wheels are factory c6 z06 wheels so 18x9.5 front and 19x12 rears. I made sure I found oem wheels since they are manufactured by speed line. They are way lighter and stronger than just about any after market wheel i could even consider spending money on. (less than 700 a piece)
As I had mentioned somewhere, I have 4 Z06 factory fronts 9.5" wide with 40mm offset--I'm much more interested in what the front fitment issues are, if any. Still, trying to use the fronts on the rear, I would be unhappy with the front wheel on the back, since it would project too far outward, I think.

The .65mm difference in lug patterns isnt any thing im even a little concerned about. That less than the difference between new wheel and one thats had the lug nuts on and off 20 times.
On your last point about wheel stud pattern, we'll just have to disagree.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

I ordered cheap eBay ones. I think they were like 815 shipped. Super cheap. My only complaint is I need to order a stiffer spring. I've read about G8 guys complaining the springs are stiff enough for their cars. Ours are a few hundred pounds heavier so I plan on ordering some thing stiffer.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have Navylifer. Keep em coming
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Good to know. No one can, or will, tell me how the spring rates compare between the 2012 9C1 and the BC 'high rate' springs, so I'm taking a gamble here. I've never been displeased with the Konis I've installed on anything, so a bit more spring/shock rate won't bother me. I just don't want that 'Cadillac wallow' in something that's not one of our Cadillacs.

We'll soon see.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?