Widening stock steel wheels - anyone thought about it?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
CrashTestDummy

Widening stock steel wheels - anyone thought about it?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I really like the look of the stock steel wheels. The fact that they can fit over CTS brakes is an added bonus. The fact that they're at least as light, or even lighter than many of the factory aluminum wheels that are out there is also a plus. I'm at least thinking about looking into widening a set, and using them to put more tire under the car than going with something from the CTS, SS, or Camaro. The problem is, pretty much all of the widening would have to go on the inside of the wheel, and you could probably not do much more than 1-1.5".

Has anyone else here thought about it, or even done it?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Re: Widening stock steel wheels - anyone thought about it?

Post by GTObert »

The thought crossed my mind. I went with the Camaro wheels and only use the steel ones for winter. I can tell you right now that the steel wheel and tire is definitely heavier than my Camaro 20" wheel and tire. I just made the swap a couple days ago and I was surprised to feel the difference.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The steel wheels widened will be even "less" light....what do you hope to gain by widening?

For weight consideration, a set of Camaro 18" (V6) aluminum wheels widened would be preferable, but at this point I'm not able to say if there's a caliper clearance issue with Brembos--ie. back side of wheel spokes vs front face of caliper. The weight difference vs steel would be huge.

I had visions of staying with 18's and doing a 1" to 1.5" widening (maybe combine two sets of the same wheels by cutting off the barrels at different points to create a deeper barrel using OE wheels.

Widening vs finding the right wheels is an exercise in how much money do you have or that you're willing to "invest" on the adventure. If I was able to do it myself, well...that's a no-brainer by comparison, as Vaughn and Weldcraft, the 2 principal wheel "wideners" I'm aware of, charge quite a princely sum for their services.

I even thought about trying to make C6 Z06 wheels work--fronts are 18 x 9.5, with 40mm offset, but a wheel with 50+mm is what's needed. The wheel stud pattern can be fixed, and a hub-centric ring takes care of the center bore difference, but the 40mm offset ends up pushing the wheel out more that I'd consider acceptable.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

thinking "outside the box"

Post by Navy Lifer »

Yes, I've thought about this option....there are MANY Corvette wheels--C5/C6 and now C7--that are offered in the aftermarket in the size range being discussed, with various offsets.

Of course, Corvette and Caprice do not share the same wheel stud pattern. The difference is 0.03" (120mm = 4.72") where Corvette is the long-standard 4.75" (120.65mm). The hub-centric dimension is not the same, and it does work in favor of the Zeta, since Corvette wheels have a 70.3 bore, give or take a few RCH's.

That difference can be corrected, and for less than widening costs, and a hub-centric ring fixes the center support issue.

Here are a couple I've pulled from just one source--they are all knock-offs, typically made in China...much as we don't like it, so are many of the production GM alloy wheels today. The wheels from this site - http://www.oewheelsllc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are quite inexpensive. When you click on the links and see the price displayed, that is for a SET of 4 wheels--not the individual wheel price. Some wheels that you might find appealing are listed as part of a staggered set, which, in the Corvette world typically means two diameters--front 17/rear 18 or front 18/rear 19, but in most cases it IS possible to buy 4 of the same size, if you find one that interests you. This particular company is located in Sarasota FL, and I have done business with them--they're reputable in my book.

Here are a few wheels that might work--finish choices aside, as I'm not a fan of either chrome or black finish.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... 18x8-5-SET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... 4/C6-Z06_5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... c/C6-Z06_7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
18 x 9.5 with +56mm offset--should work on rear, may be too wide or need a spacer/adapter on front.

Each wheel has a fitment and spec listing (tabs) for confirmation of offset/backspace.

Correcting the stud pattern is a matter of a shop with the capability to "fill & drill", or to install steel inserts at the correct PCD, which could be argued makes the wheel stronger. That's not necessarily cheap, but it's going to cost less than what the widening approach involves.

The other option would be to modify the vehicle to 120.65, but that could complicates things beyond what may be reasonable--new holes for the rotors (or larger wheel stud holes), etc.

One shop that I'd consider, if it came to doing this, is Motorsport Tech:
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_machining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only "issue" in doing business with Motorsport is watching the total cost roll-up for shipping, since they're located in the Reno area--a set of wheels from OEWheels in Florida is shipped directly to Reno ($100, give or take), modified ($ unknown--depends on what you're having done), then re-shipped (another $100+) to the original buyer. Still, when you look at Vaughn or Weldcraft wheel-widening service, it's a relative bargain, to get what you want.

The other thing to think about is that you MAY find a wheel that would work (bolt pattern aside) in the Corvette inventory that is TOO wide...just as wheels can be widened, so they can be narrowed, so don't overlook that approach when searching for the right wheel(s) for a particular purpose, appearance, etc.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, what I was hoping to gain is a factory-looking wheel with the ability to fit wider tires. That's it. With factory wheels, it seems you really have to pick and choose, or you suffer a real weight penalty, and/or have to deal with rubbing here and there. The options, and combinations thereof are dizzying.

I do already have 2015 SS take-offs that I am ready to black powder-coat and mount, but every time I walk out into the garage and see the car sitting there, I think 'Man, that car looks nice on those wheels.' Call me M@d, if you will, but I do like them. The Z06 wheels look nice, but if I was going that route, I'd opt for the aftermarket Pontiac snowflakes (which won't clear the brakes), or really start looking for something that's specifically light.

I was just thinking out loud here. Still not sure where I'll end up. I'll probably be mounting the SS wheels, if only to free up the OEM steelies, and see how I like the car then. It looks like Mr. Vaughn only does aluminum, while Weldcraft will do steel. Vaughn quotes ~$200-$300, depending on size, and width. Weldcraft says 'call for quote'. I may do that. Not sure yet.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

They did it with their project crown vic cop car here.. it looks great I almost wish i didn't buy my camaro wheels looking at the price....
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-vehi ... -widening/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What size tire to run if you get them widened an inch or so?

275/45/18 would be slightly taller i think and mount onto a 9" wide rim.....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Not sure. I haven't had time to go out and see just how much space we have on the inboard side of the whee/tire, so I don't know what will work at this point in time. I have suspension parts to install that we have scheduled to do the week after the New Year, so I will have time to get under the car and look then. I'd like to stuff as much tire under there as is possible, with a lowered suspension, so not sure at this point in time yet.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

This sounds VERY interesting and something I've also pondered. Nice write up and pics on the CV wheel widening. I've got a set of V2 wheels/tires sitting waiting, a set of take-off Camaro 18" Rally wheels and a set of V2 Coupe wheels/tires that I have available. I've been offered a straight trade of Chevy SS wheels for my V2 wheels so we'll see what happens with that. I don't think the V2 Coupe wheels will clear in the back of the PPV anyways.

I also have a set of V2 brakes on my parts car that I may look to fit so I may have to go to 19's anyways but this is an idea if I part out my V1 and use those brakes.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

My plan was if I went with a brake 'upgrade', I'd go for the V1 CTS brakes, since they fit the steel wheels.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote:My plan was if I went with a brake 'upgrade', I'd go for the V1 CTS brakes, since they fit the steel wheels.
That they do but I really would like to see someone do a test using brand new OEM 2011 PPV pads/rotors and whatever combo of caddy V1 parts. I REALLY wonder if there would be any difference. I'm still blown away with the stock brakes and even now after changing to an aftermarket pad I have my doubts as to how much better braking really exits with the CTSV parts. I certainly don't deny that that setup looks great especially in a contrasting color like red behind a nice silver alum wheel but with the steelies you won't really be even seeing that, which might be another reason to do the stock wheel widening. Last time I checked the factory pads were the most expensive part at @$100.
I've driven almost all new Police Spec cars in the past 10 years, my 11 PPV makes me think I've hit a brick wall when i pound them and is light years ahead of anything else I've tried except maybe a 2010 DOdge charger but I recall they changed the brake compound on those at some point also after hearing garage complaints of excessive rotor wear instead of checking how many accidents they avoided.