2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
gregc

Re: 2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Post by gregc »

I just reprogrammed my TPMS because the Caprice was still searching for the original TPMS on the factory steelies. The warning light still illuminated with the add air to tire warning on the DIC because it was reading 32 PSI. The tires can handle 50 PSI at max load, but I'm not going to go that high. I inflated the tires to my 2011 Camaro SS recommended pressure which is 36 psi. The light did turn off at this pressure.

Navy Lifer wrote:
gregc wrote:
bkwagonss wrote:No problem with tire pressure monitors with the SS wheels?
They have different tire pressure than the Caprice tires.
How does it know what is correct?
No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
OK, I've not looked at the Camaro as far as recommended tire pressures, but, as some of us have discussed before this Forum launched, the PPV door sticker provides recommended pressures for full load & high-speed use situations. If you go into the owner's manual for PPV, you will find an alternate tire pressure setting recommendation for "normal" service, which I recall is 36 PSI for all 4 tires. TPMS doesn't seem to care--I don't know how it is supposed to distinguish a change in pressure that would otherwise be "normal", unless it is also counting wheel rotations for each wheel (via ABS) and comparing them to ID a tire that falls out of spec (diameter change--lower pressure means faster rotation of that position), in addition to monitoring pressures. Naturally, the 20" wheel & shorter sidewall/load rating specs of Camaro wheels may call for higher pressures than 36 PSI.

I've "re-tired" the OE Goodyears--they're rough & noisy, even at lowered pressure. There's much to learn about the chassis as originally delivered--we know the springs are high rate, to handle a full-load situation with a full complement of police equipment, and I believe better springs will surface to make the car feel/ride in a more compliant manner.

I've also learned (and confirmed by looking at the parts info) that the 2011 PPV used a shock package developed by Holden, where the 2012 & 2013 PPV have a shock package developed by GMNA engineers, and is reported to be much better. I'm going to use the new-spec shocks when I change springs, so it will be a learning exercise.
gregc

Post by gregc »

I had to get my rear fenders rolled. The 20x9 Camaro SS rims wearing 275 tires rubbed when I hit a hard bump. No more rubbing. I still would like to get some Holden Rims to fit the Impala center caps though. Maybe when the Chevy SS comes out, I'll go to 19"s.
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

gregc wrote:I had to get my rear fenders rolled. The 20x9 Camaro SS rims wearing 275 tires rubbed when I hit a hard bump. No more rubbing. I still would like to get some Holden Rims to fit the Impala center caps though. Maybe when the Chevy SS comes out, I'll go to 19"s.
Hi gregc, there are now quality Holden HSV replica wheels available in the US. These were brought in for the G8 crowd, but will, of course, fit the PPV as well. And they will fit without the need to roll the fenders.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Cajun, welcome--I recall reading your posts elsewhere (GM Inside News, I think) and possibly communicating with you, probably regarding the coming Chevy SS.

For anyone else, here's the link to Replicast Wheels: http://shop.replicastwheels.com/Australia-Series_c3.htm

Can you talk about wheel weights (not balancing weights) a little, please? The SS will have 19" wheels, yet the Camaro goes all the way to 20", and the Brembo brakes for Camaro will not even clear 19" wheels due to the extra pad damper that extends above the caliper and prevents 19" wheels from clearing--in other words, the Brembo package dictates the wheel size requirement, at least in the case of Camaro with "stock" Brembo brakes.

Anyway, the only wheel (in your selections) that really could interest me, short of a set of actual SS 19" wheels (reportedly much lighter than the standard heavy Camaro 20" wheels), is your VE Super Sport replica, which appears to be a 20" version of the coming SS (VF) sedan wheel, with a different finish. A wider version would be "good" (IMO) but you can't get too carried away, with parts proliferation impacting inventory cost so much. I just wish this wheel was 8.5" wide with a 9" or 9.5" option. My preference is actually for a set of 4 wheels that are all the same, with tires also the same size, so normal rotations can be accomplished. 8" just seems to be slightly on the narrow side.

Is there ANY possibility of the VE SS 20" wheel being offered in an optional finish or width--short of having to take the wheels to a re-finishing shop once purchased and doing it (for added cost) before they can actually mount on the car?
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

Navy Lifer wrote:Cajun, welcome--I recall reading your posts elsewhere (GM Inside News, I think) and possibly communicating with you, probably regarding the coming Chevy SS.

For anyone else, here's the link to Replicast Wheels: http://shop.replicastwheels.com/Australia-Series_c3.htm
Hi, Bill! Yes, we have chatted on GMInsideNews before. Okay, let me address your questions one at a time:
Navy Lifer wrote:Can you talk about wheel weights (not balancing weights) a little, please? The SS will have 19" wheels, yet the Camaro goes all the way to 20", and the Brembo brakes for Camaro will not even clear 19" wheels due to the extra pad damper that extends above the caliper and prevents 19" wheels from clearing--in other words, the Brembo package dictates the wheel size requirement, at least in the case of Camaro with "stock" Brembo brakes.
Our 20" wheels weigh about 36 lbs. each. The 19" wheels for the forthcoming Chevy SS will be lighter because they are forged and ours are one-piece, low pressure cast wheels. The calipers do determine wheel diameter to some degree, but remember the SS has basically the same brakes as the Pontiac G8 GXP. Front Brembos only. The curvature behind the spokes of the wheel will also determine whether or not a wheel will clear a big brake package. Our Super Sport wheels should have no problem clearing G8 and GXP brakes. And our HSV replicas will clear all big brake packages.
Navy Lifer wrote:Anyway, the only wheel (in your selections) that really could interest me, short of a set of actual SS 19" wheels (reportedly much lighter than the standard heavy Camaro 20" wheels), is your VE Super Sport replica, which appears to be a 20" version of the coming SS (VF) sedan wheel, with a different finish. A wider version would be "good" (IMO) but you can't get too carried away, with parts proliferation impacting inventory cost so much. I just wish this wheel was 8.5" wide with a 9" or 9.5" option. My preference is actually for a set of 4 wheels that are all the same, with tires also the same size, so normal rotations can be accomplished. 8" just seems to be slightly on the narrow side.
The Super Sport replica is based on the HBD (Holden By Design) 20" accessory wheel. It is strikingly similar to the wheels on the forthcoming Chevy SS, but they are slightly different in the spoke design. If I remember correctly, the 19" SS wheel comes from the Commodore SS-V Redline package.
Navy Lifer wrote:Is there ANY possibility of the VE SS 20" wheel being offered in an optional finish or width--short of having to take the wheels to a re-finishing shop once purchased and doing it (for added cost) before they can actually mount on the car?
The VE Super Sport wheel is also available in silver, though we didn't bring any silver in on our first shipment. I am not sure if we will get any silver, but it's a possibility. The Super Sport is only produced in 8" width, so there are no other widths available. Generally, replicas are produced in the same spec as the originals.

With the 8" wide wheel, you would mount a 245/35R20 size tire. This is the same spec tire used on the fronts of the HSV cars and is the same width of the 245/40R19 tires on the G8 GT and 245/45R18 on the G8 sedan and GT. You aren't giving up any width of tire or wheel, because the factory 19" wheel on the G8 GT is 8" wide. And you can rotate them.

The other advantage is the 20" tires are generally cheaper as well. I really think the Pentagons in silver would look killer on a Caprice PPV.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Thanks for the info....now, that Grange, even though HSV gets really pricey, would make for the ideal car at the top of the Chevy line here instead of the SS sedan.

Actually, it would probably end up as a Buick!
gregc

Post by gregc »

Cajun G8 wrote:
gregc wrote:I had to get my rear fenders rolled. The 20x9 Camaro SS rims wearing 275 tires rubbed when I hit a hard bump. No more rubbing. I still would like to get some Holden Rims to fit the Impala center caps though. Maybe when the Chevy SS comes out, I'll go to 19"s.
Hi gregc, there are now quality Holden HSV replica wheels available in the US. These were brought in for the G8 crowd, but will, of course, fit the PPV as well. And they will fit without the need to roll the fenders.

I will definately be getting the black SS 20's to replace these Camaro SS rims. The 9" width on the Camaro rims still rub if I hit a hard bump. The 2011 Camaro SS I have will inherit these since I have curb rash on them. I need 8'' all around. Plus the black rims will pay homage to the factory steelies. You also mention that my holden caps will fit the 20" SS rims. I had planned on putting my ME Caprice SS center caps on the Camaro SS wheels, but they won't fit.
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

gregc wrote:I will definately be getting the black SS 20's to replace these Camaro SS rims. The 9" width on the Camaro rims still rub if I hit a hard bump. The 2011 Camaro SS I have will inherit these since I have curb rash on them. I need 8'' all around. Plus the black rims will pay homage to the factory steelies. You also mention that my holden caps will fit the 20" SS rims. I had planned on putting my ME Caprice SS center caps on the Camaro SS wheels, but they won't fit.
If you get the black 20" Super Sport RepliCast wheels, I will assist you with the center caps for them. I have a friend who does the Holden caps that fit the black Super Sports.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Can you please post some photos of the SS wheel showing a side view, to see how much the spokes are concave(d) (is that a word?) into the center or just how flat/flush the spokes are. Any photos on a car would be appreciated, too.

Don't want to do black, so please let us know if you do get some silvers headed this way.
Cajun G8

Post by Cajun G8 »

Navy Lifer wrote:Can you please post some photos of the SS wheel showing a side view, to see how much the spokes are concave(d) (is that a word?) into the center or just how flat/flush the spokes are. Any photos on a car would be appreciated, too.

Don't want to do black, so please let us know if you do get some silvers headed this way.
There is a little concave to the spokes but not a lot. Will keep you updated if we get silver.