2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
gregc

2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Post by gregc »

I have 2013 Camaro SS wheels on my Caprice. They are staggered wheels. If you want to run this set up, the size you need for the front is 245/40-20, the rears are 275/35-20 These are the closest in height to the factory PPV 18 tires. This tire size did not affect my speedometer. I compared the digital speedo on the Caprice to my GPS and they are the same as far as whole numbers. I don't know the exact number differences to the 10ths, but I'm sure the difference is negligible. Camaro SS tires are taller, they are 245/45 20 in front, the rears are 275/40-20.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: 2013 Camaro SS Wheels

Post by elc32955 »

Nice wheels. I have the V6 G8 Enkei 18's on mine (since I wanted to stay with the RSA's until they were gone), the only problem I had was finding center caps. The G8 centers are like 2.25 inches, the center caps I found and ordered on EBAY are 2 inch. So, nothing a few drops of RTV couldn't fix until I find correct centers (and I haven't found them yet!), the G8 centers have a funky retaining ring configuration that doesn't seem to match anything Chevy.

Here's a pic.... I thought I had a close-up of the new wheels with the centers but guess I didn't take it yet.
bbbsmall.JPG
bbbsmall.JPG (70.73 KiB) Viewed 31401 times
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Post by gregc »

elc32955 wrote:Nice wheels. I have the V6 G8 Enkei 18's on mine (since I wanted to stay with the RSA's until they were gone), the only problem I had was finding center caps. The G8 centers are like 2.25 inches, the center caps I found and ordered on EBAY are 2 inch. So, nothing a few drops of RTV couldn't fix until I find correct centers (and I haven't found them yet!), the G8 centers have a funky retaining ring configuration that doesn't seem to match anything Chevy.

Here's a pic.... I thought I had a close-up of the new wheels with the centers but guess I didn't take it yet.

Eric
Most center caps are 58mm, which converts to 2.28 inches or so. The ones on my Camaros are 58MM. If you ebay search 58 MM center caps, you'll be able to find bow tie center caps that will work for your rims. If I can't get those middle east impala center caps, I'll order these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140902780462?ss ... 1439.l2649

and then have the impala center caps custom made. But the bow tie emblems on the camaro wheels seem to belong on the car.
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

No problem with tire pressure monitors with the SS wheels?
They have different tire pressure than the Caprice tires.
How does it know what is correct?
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
gregc

Post by gregc »

bkwagonss wrote:No problem with tire pressure monitors with the SS wheels?
No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

gregc wrote: No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
Cool, I can't wait to put my wheels on.
But I have the Pirelli summer tires that came with the Camaro and they are no good under 40 degrees.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

gregc wrote:
No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
OK, I've not looked at the Camaro as far as recommended tire pressures, but, as some of us have discussed before this Forum launched, the PPV door sticker provides recommended pressures for full load & high-speed use situations. If you go into the owner's manual for PPV, you will find an alternate tire pressure setting recommendation for "normal" service, which I recall is 36 PSI for all 4 tires. TPMS doesn't seem to care--I don't know how it is supposed to distinguish a change in pressure that would otherwise be "normal", unless it is also counting wheel rotations for each wheel (via ABS) and comparing them to ID a tire that falls out of spec (diameter change--lower pressure means faster rotation of that position), in addition to monitoring pressures. Naturally, the 20" wheel & shorter sidewall/load rating specs of Camaro wheels may call for higher pressures than 36 PSI.

I've "re-tired" the OE Goodyears--they're rough & noisy, even at lowered pressure. There's much to learn about the chassis as originally delivered--we know the springs are high rate, to handle a full-load situation with a full complement of police equipment, and I believe better springs will surface to make the car feel/ride in a more compliant manner.

I've also learned (and confirmed by looking at the parts info) that the 2011 PPV used a shock package developed by Holden, where the 2012 & 2013 PPV have a shock package developed by GMNA engineers, and is reported to be much better. I'm going to use the new-spec shocks when I change springs, so it will be a learning exercise.
gregc

Post by gregc »

bkwagonss wrote:
gregc wrote: No problems with the Camaro TPMS. The tires can withstand the 42 psi threats required for the Caprice
Cool, I can't wait to put my wheels on.
But I have the Pirelli summer tires that came with the Camaro and they are no good under 40 degrees.

My Camaro is still wearing the stock Pirellis. My Caprice is wearing Firestone Indy Wide Ovals. I didn't want the cheapest tire, but I didn't want the most expensive either. These were just above the least expensive tire. $190 for the fronts and $210 for the rears.
gregc

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:
gregc wrote:
OK, I've not looked at the Camaro as far as recommended tire pressures, but, as some of us have discussed before this Forum launched, the PPV door sticker provides recommended pressures for full load & high-speed use situations. If you go into the owner's manual for PPV, you will find an alternate tire pressure setting recommendation for "normal" service, which I recall is 36 PSI for all 4 tires. TPMS doesn't seem to care--I don't know how it is supposed to distinguish a change in pressure that would otherwise be "normal", unless it is also counting wheel rotations for each wheel (via ABS) and comparing them to ID a tire that falls out of spec (diameter change--lower pressure means faster rotation of that position), in addition to monitoring pressures. Naturally, the 20" wheel & shorter sidewall/load rating specs of Camaro wheels may call for higher pressures than 36 PSI.

I've "re-tired" the OE Goodyears--they're rough & noisy, even at lowered pressure. There's much to learn about the chassis as originally delivered--we know the springs are high rate, to handle a full-load situation with a full complement of police equipment, and I believe better springs will surface to make the car feel/ride in a more compliant manner.

I've also learned (and confirmed by looking at the parts info) that the 2011 PPV used a shock package developed by Holden, where the 2012 & 2013 PPV have a shock package developed by GMNA engineers, and is reported to be much better. I'm going to use the new-spec shocks when I change springs, so it will be a learning exercise.
On my Camaro SS, the TPMS warning light would illuminate if it's under 30 psi.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

.[/quote]

On my Camaro SS, the TPMS warning light would illuminate if it's under 30 psi.[/quote]

On my 2011 Caprice PPV the TPMS warning light came on at 32 psi with the stock tires.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens