Electric Power Steering Failure

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
9C1fanatic

Electric Power Steering Failure

Post by 9C1fanatic »

I think this was posted somewhere else here about 2014 Chevrolet SS power steering failures but I cant find it. If it can happen to an SS its bound to affect our cars. GM issued a recall on 2014 Chevrolet Caprices which is the same as the SS recall involving cleaning a connector and installing dielectric grease in the connector. My patrol car is a 2014 with 8400 miles and has had said recall last year. Today while merging onto the freeway, the DIC displayed the message, "Service Power Steering System Drive with Care" along with a chime. I did not notice anything in the wheel because I was not putting much if any steering input at the time. I verified that the power steering had in fact failed by doing some lane changes. I drove 12 or so more miles without power steering and shut the car off when I arrived home. I immediately restarted the engine and the power steering started working immediately and no message was displayed on the DIC.

After reading the posts on the SS forum, it seems like the issue affects many 2014 SS vehicles along with a lot of other GM vehicles. Ford, Hyundai and Toyota are also having a lot of problems with their systems. Seems like the recall is not solving the issue for some folks. GM engineers even flew down to look at one of the SS's with the failure. Seems like a updated new steering rack is the only fix and has been updated for the 2015 MY. We have yet to see if any 2015s are failing but so far I have not heard of any.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... ilure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those with 2014 up Caprices, be aware of this issue and inform your family members who may drive the vehicle. Not a big deal if your going straight or at high speeds but could be an issue at low speeds for someone not expecting it or unfamiliar with how to respond in that situation.

My POV 2014 Caprice has not had the recall and so far no issues with about the same mileage. This kind of makes me want to convert my own car to the 2011-2013 hydraulic set up. I worry about finding parts down the road when GM stuff is discontinued for this car and I'm still having power steering issues. Kind of sucks. I know any system can fail but I have never heard specifically of a hydraulic system failing with such low mileage. You know electric brakes will be next...and Infiniti already has a steer by wire system that has no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels. Love technology!!

I'm taking the car to dealer soon and will keep you posted.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
9C1fanatic

Re: Electric Power Steering Failure

Post by 9C1fanatic »

The car is at the dealer who (after me printing out pages of internet forum discussions from the SS and Camaro about electric power steering failures) contacted GM tech support on the issue since the car already had the "recall" done. GM tech support advised them to replace the rack. They called today and stated they are replacing the entire steering rack with the updated design. Oddly enough, the rack came in the same day it was ordered. Another example on how exaggerated the claims can be that parts are not available for these cars. Any car can have some parts that are in short supply. (We once waited 5 months to get a forward lighting wiring harness for a 2005 CVPI from Ford). Anyway, Ill post the part numbers when I pick up the car for reference for the 2014 owners out there. Stay safe and educate your loved ones who drive EPS equipped vehicles especially from GM Ford Toyota and Hyundai. I don't trust this technology yet but at least it helps poor drivers park their cars!!!
Garner Ames

9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Well got the car back and although they did replace the steering rack, it does not appear the part is updated as it shows the same part number for the new rack as for the core return.

Steering rack: GM # 92278936
Also installed were 4 new bolts 11611833 that attach the rack to the subframe.

We shall see what the future brings.
Garner Ames

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I was actually going to start a new thread on this but I see y'all beat me to it. I was on the NHTSA web page the other day looking for information on the seat belt recall on the 11-13 cars and stumbled across the active investigation/report page. Report after report about power steering troubles on the 2014 Caprices. I remember one agency chief that said five out of the seven 2014 cars his agency ran had problems with the steering requiring dealer service.

In one of the very first posts on our system discussing the 2014 cars (April, 2013) I said the following...
Electric power steering.... hmmmm.... anyone ever drive a G6 with the electric assist doing the funky chicken? That will be noteworthy of following closely. I recall some issues with the G6 trying to run itself into walls, guardrails, etc... because the electric steering assist went south at a bad moment. Wonder if the SS is going to share this feature?
Yeah, I used to own a G6 and it's steering did strange things a few times. If the 2014's are doing the same thing this will bear close watching. Also I modified the forum name to now include steering so people will know where to post these problems/issues/mods.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

I have lived it. All I can say is keep a tight grip on the wheel!
Garner Ames

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just thought I'd share these complaints from the NHTSA webpage on the 2014 electric steering. These are direct quotes taken from the actual complaints filed with the federal government. BTW, the all-cap text in the quotes is not my doing, this is how the information is entered on the NHTSA webpage.
THIS VEHICLE IS ONE OF A FLEET OF SEVEN VEHICLES FOR THE LA GRANGE ILLINOIS POLICE DEPARTMENT. THE VEHICLES WERE RECENTLY PURCHASED NEW ON FEBRUARY 28, 2014 AND WERE SHIPPED FROM AUSTRALIA. OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS, THE MAJORITY OF THIS FLEET (NOW 6 OF THE 7 CARS) HAVE ALL HAD POWER STEERING FAILURES DURING VEHICLE OPERATION (WHILE MOVING). THERE IS A GREAT CONCERN THAT THE POWER STEERING WILL FAIL WHILE WE ARE IN PURSUIT OF AN OFFENDER AND THERE WILL BE A LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AT WHICH TIME A CRASH WILL OCCUR AND WILL INJURE THE OFFICER AND INNOCENT PERSONS.
AS THE BARTONVILLE ILLINOIS POLICE OFFICER ASSIGNED TO THIS VEHICLE WAS APPROACHING AND BEGINNING A TURN WHEN THE POWER STEERING WENT OUT AT WHICH TIME HE STOPPED THE VEHICLE AND PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN PARK. HE THEN TURNED THE VEHICLE BACK ON AND THE POWER STEERING FUNCTIONED CORRECTLY. THE OFFICER THEN "DEAD-LINED" THE CAR. THE VEHICLE WAS THEN DRIVEN TO RAY DENNISON CHEVROLET, PEKIN, ILLINOIS ON OCTOBER 8, 2014 FOR REPAIR WITHOUT INCIDENT WHERE IT HAS BEEN UP TO AND INCLUDING THIS DATE DUE "PARTS" BEING SHIPPED FROM AUSTRALIA ACCORDING TO THE DEALERSHIP.
The service bulletin letter for the power steering (Bulletin PB-14804) is now attached in the file section on the possibility of the electric assist loss without warning.

Scary.....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.