SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
xcidmigs

Re: SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Post by xcidmigs »

Having major problems already with my spring/strut swap. Took everything apart in the front and went to install new springs on the new struts. The central strut rod is held in place by a clip on the new ones, when its released the rod comes out about 5" shorter than the old ones do. Both have a similar amount of compression if you try to push down on them and all other parts of the bodies etc are identical. Its clearly not possible to install the springs and upper mounts onto the new version struts as they are now, the springs would need to be compressed probably more than half their height. What to do here guys? For today i just put the new springs back on the old struts and installed.
20160803_180203.jpg
20160803_180203.jpg (337.43 KiB) Viewed 13120 times
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Keep in mind that even though the strut has a nitrogen charge, the gas is mainly there to minimize aeration of the oil. I did a quick search of Monroe struts and found a note in their "Quick Strut" instructions to ignore the reference of extending the strut rod as the Quick Strut already has the spring installed. I also found other people whose struts were not fully extended. With that being found, I am assuming that this isn't necessarily a defect and that a mechanic that has seen this before would have an answer.
I would guess (and this is just me thinking out loud without any real life experience with this) that putting a nut on the strut rod, placing the nut in a vice and pulling on it may bring it out. Or maybe just let it hang over night? Make sure that you don't damage the threads or the chrome plating on the rod.
Good luck and keep us up to date.

Edit, I couldn't let this go without digging to it more. I assumed wrong. According to the Monroe link below, the strut should extend automatically.
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/553016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Maybe call the manufacturer for advise?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:Having major problems already with my spring/strut swap. Took everything apart in the front and went to install new springs on the new struts. The central strut rod is held in place by a clip on the new ones, when its released the rod comes out about 5" shorter than the old ones do. Both have a similar amount of compression if you try to push down on them and all other parts of the bodies etc are identical. Its clearly not possible to install the springs and upper mounts onto the new version struts as they are now, the springs would need to be compressed probably more than half their height. What to do here guys? For today i just put the new springs back on the old struts and installed.
Didn't catch what parts you are using...are these struts the 2nd design for PPV, or an aftermarket part?

Is the difference in strut shaft on just one part, or both?

Please list PN's you're using!
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I ordered the GM factory front struts for 2014 SS sedan and factory springs for a 2015 SS sedan. obviously would seem like it has to be a matched pair right? I did put a washer and nut on the one and then pulled up on it with a box wrench while holding the strut body down. Somewhat akward but it did not seem to want to extend any more. They came boxed with a small metal clip to keep them compressed and when i removed that both only opened another 5"? the factory one when extended is probably over 12"?

92270676 strut
92270677 strut
92289853 springs
Last edited by xcidmigs on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Hmmm....what model year is your Caprice?

First, 2015 SS and newer uses MRC suspension (Magnetic Ride Control), so I'm wondering what shocks you actually have.

Next, the clevis (where the strut clamps to the upright/knuckle) is wider on all 2014-up Zeta (VF and WM) vehicles, so a 2011-2013 PPV upright will require some sort of spacer, or replacing the knuckle with the correct width version for 2014> platforms.

As far as strut shaft length, the PPV does run at a higher ground clearance than SS, but I'm not knowledgeable about whether that also means the strut shaft and total travel would be less or restricted in some way. If you look at Australian websites for suspesnion (Lovell's, for example) you will see that there are specific struts offered to work with lowering springs, but we're talking about setups that are well below OE-spec spring situations.

Standing PPV and SS springs side-by-side, there isn't a major difference in their free lengths, so what is the effect with a short-travel strut, I cannot say. Something's hinky....but using SS struts, even conventional (from 2014) still presents the clevis width problem to 2011-2013 PPV's.
kevink

Post by kevink »

migs- Here's the bushing info I mentioned yesterday.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7424,d.amc
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Navy Lifer wrote:Hmmm....what model year is your Caprice?

Next, the clevis (where the strut clamps to the upright/knuckle) is wider on all 2014-up Zeta (VF and WM) vehicles, so a 2011-2013 PPV upright will require some sort of spacer, or replacing the knuckle with the correct width version for 2014> platforms.

Standing PPV and SS springs side-by-side, there isn't a major difference in their free lengths, so what is the effect with a short-travel strut, I cannot say. Something's hinky....but using SS struts, even conventional (from 2014) still presents the clevis width problem to 2011-2013 PPV's.
I have a 2011 I had no idea on the clevis/knuckle issue and I never got that far on the install to even notice that, I'll have to take a better look at that issue. I believe i ordered those '14 struts simply because the price was slightly lower than the 2012 PPV ones but its been months since I looked at all this stuff. Regardless of that it still seems like something has to be wrong with the strut shaft length just because the 2 parts i have are designed to work together on same car. So I'm doing something wrong or I have defective ones.

I did end up installing the SS 15 springs on my stock 2011 struts in the front only and everything works, definately sits a bit lower and seems slightly less rough although i only drove briefly last night.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

just digging through my past - searched "clevis" - I'm really not 100% sure what the difference in clevis width is, but I know it changed in the VF/WM transition and due to use of aluminium knuckles vs steel. Either someone stated it was 34mm or I read it....if you will measure the new struts you have, it would be good to know what is correct.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=470&p=4097&hilit=clevis#p4097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=847&p=7702&hilit=clevis#p7702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1055&p=11332&hilit=clevis#p11332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

It appears to me that the inner width on the 2015 version OEM strut is 36mm, I don't have the stock strut off at the moment to measure that, excuse my high tech measuring device.
20160804_143156.jpg
20160804_143156.jpg (220.71 KiB) Viewed 13086 times
Emailed the dealership i ordered parts from online and was given the standard can't return after attempted install story. I'm not sure but i may just buy a single side for now to compare. Anyone have a high miles 14+ car they want to try these on?
kevink

Post by kevink »

Spacers will be easy to make if that's all you need. Did you figure out the extension issue? Did it extend overnight?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.