SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
fuzzkill

Re: SS Sedan Springs under the 2011 Caprice PPV

Post by fuzzkill »

xcidmigs wrote:
Pursuit wrote: I also had the TPMS thresholds dropped down so that I could run 35 psi without getting the warnings

Maurice

HOW DID YOU DO THIS?

P.S. I have the SS springs/later shocks and 1LE rear lower control arms on my 2011 and the ride is much less harsh than stock despite using 19" tires.
When you reprogram the RCDLR with a tech2 it asks you what pressure ranges you want to run for the front/back.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:
Pursuit wrote: I also had the TPMS thresholds dropped down so that I could run 35 psi without getting the warnings

Maurice
HOW DID YOU DO THIS?
I know you asked Maurice, but here's the original discussion, from several years back:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 42a3#p2855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Bill,
Thanks for posting that thread regarding the TPMS.

Also, I have added the ZL1 lower control arms and the toe links. Both items have and encapsulated "heim joints". They really tightened up the feel in the IRS. Toe links GM 22845487. Nice pieces and I found the Dorman equivalent ( DOR 524-564) of the toe links on Rock Auto for $23.00 each. The lower control arm service kit GM 23484878 ($77.00) also has both mounting points for the two different width sway bars.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Pursuit wrote:
Also, I have added the ZL1 lower control arms and the toe links. Both items have and encapsulated "heim joints". They really tightened up the feel in the IRS. Toe links GM 22845487. Nice pieces and I found the Dorman equivalent ( DOR 524-564) of the toe links on Rock Auto for $23.00 each. The lower control arm service kit GM 23484878 ($77.00) also has both mounting points for the two different width sway bars.
Maurice, I recall there being some question about the zl1 control arms raising the ride height.
With the ss springs and the zl1 arms did you notice and increase in ride height? Or if you put them on at the same time, did it come down as far as the front?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Joe,
You are right, we did talk about that. I will be back to my car this weekend. I put the SS springs on awhile ago. And then the ZL1 lower control arms on last weekend. I will check on that. Since I did measure the ride height with the SS spring swap....

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

The arms are definitely going to change the rear ride height and I would suggest that you look at your alignment after also. I did both at the same time and my rear ride height was just slightly lower than the stock springs and arms but I'm fine with that as the front was what really looked strange to me and now when the car is loaded up with passengers and junk in the trunk it sits very nice and level looking.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I will get better measurements this weekend. I will post as soon as possible. And I agree with getting an alignment. After the toe links and LCA's installed, the car pulled to the right and felt like it was "dog tracking".
The one thing I was hoping for was less wheel spin. And I achieved that.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Maurice, are you photo-documenting any of this?

Here's something else I'm investigating that may potentially interest at least a few 2011-2013 PPV owners:
http://www.motoring.com.au/final-aussie ... ons-105535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Motorsport Edition alone swaps to a higher-rate rear subframe bush sourced from the US police car program [PPV] that applies a constant radial rate, rather than the different cross-car and fore-aft rates of the previous bush. Holden engineering says this provides better driver feedback on the limit laterally and under braking.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Bill,
Are you saying the later style sub frame bushing is different on the PPV? I tried to use the BMR sub frame inserts on my 2011 and found out that the OEM PPV ones I have are not what is used in the camaro/G8 chassis at all, those have big empty spaces in them which the BMR insert cleverly goes into to tighten things up. The PPV ones have no such empty space so maybe that's what you refer to? Sounds like there would be little to improve short of having worn ones replaced with new or a complete poly replacement which I don't think most would be interested in.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

cal30_sniper wrote: Whats the advantage to the 1LE control arms? Was the swap so you could run wider rims, or do they have some kind of improved suspension geometry?
They have a different stiffer rubber bushing and also have a 2nd attachment point for the newer style rear anti roll bar but still also has the original style so you can reuse if you wish since the newer bar is much wider and interferes with the OEM PPV rear brake caliper. Oddly GM sells them new as a "kit" which comes with both and is way cheaper than buying a new single OEM one.

https://books.google.com/books?id=0SxUD ... ro&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;