New guy requesting clarification on springs

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Bowtie Junkman

New guy requesting clarification on springs

Post by Bowtie Junkman »

Hey guys ... new guy here, so sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered ... but it is sometimes hard to find just the right answer to the question you are asking ...

So I've done enough research to know that G8 springs will fit in our cars .... BUT ....
1) do stock G8 GT springs change the ride height (lower) our cars (equipped with the original springs)? Do they change the ride quality at all as well? The stiff ride our current springs offer is cool with me, but just curious ...
2) if the answer to (1) is yes, then do G8 lowering springs (when used in our cars) lower them even MORE than they would in a G8? Or do G8 lowering springs lower our cars the same amount as they would in a G8 (like 1.2" or 1.4", I'm assuming.

I'm forced to do this car on a budget, and cannot afford coil-overs. So looking for an inexpensive way to bring the ride height down an inch or so ....

Thanks in advance ....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: New guy requesting clarification on springs

Post by Navy Lifer »

PPV will be lowered by use of G8 (or SS) springs, and ride will be less harsh (lower spring rates, smaller wire diameter).

There was also a strut/shock valving change between 2011 & 2012, and depending on your VIN, the rear may already have the 2nd design rear shocks. 2011 original damping was done in Australia, but US engineers created a new, less harsh setup that was not fully implemented until 2012.

Considering the somewhat greater vehicle weight of PPV, I would expect slightly more spring compression compared to G8, but the longer wheelbase might play tricks on us in that regard. I don't know anyone who has actually done this yet.

My plans are to use 20114/2015 SS springs, since that IS a lighter car, with known lower trim/ride height compared to PPV. The springs will work, and the predicted difference is discussed here, but not directly in relation to available lowering springs other than the Pedders parts I have (still not installed, and probably won't be):

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this discussion, here at New Caprice forums:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=84&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above thread (from New Caprice) doesn't directly address G8 or SS springs, but by reading both threads, it is possible to at least learn that the SS springs (comparable to G8) do reduce ride height compared to PPV springs.

As for using lowering springs, yes, the numbers provided by the suppliers are based on current vehicle height by application--mostly G8 or SS (or it's Australian equivalent). There are some listings, such as the Pedders info based on Holden Caprice (civi version of PPV), which show cross-use of the same springs. So, using G8 or SS lowering springs on a PPV, from H&R (G8) or Eibach (SS), for example, will increase the TOTAL drop from PPV OE height, since the stock fitment, using the same suspension design, causes PPV in stock form to sit higher than the G8 or SS in stock form.

One interesting thing that the G8 owners are doing is they're starting to use OE PPV struts & shocks (2nd design for 2012>), or the equivalent Monroe "Extreme Duty" replacements for PPV, on their G8's. Apparently the GXP was the only version (of G8) that had a low-pressure gas design, and as these cars have aged or mileage has called for a suspension rebuild, or in the process of lowering, the "budget" choice has been to use PPV parts over G8 GT or GXP struts, since they apparently cost less. Considering the higher spring rates built into the PPV chassis, the struts/shocks will have greater damping force already built in, and they are low-pressure gas charged, which was not the case with all G8 apps, from what has been stated.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: New guy requesting clarification on springs

Post by Pursuit »

Junkman,
I have been talking with Bill Harper regarding the replacement of the PPV springs with the SS springs. I am also changing to the 2012 and up struts. This work should be done in the next two weeks. I will document the changes in ride height at all four corners. I have also swapped to the larger 2014 fron sway bar along with a BMR reay sway bar.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof