Coilovers

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Coilovers

Post by CrashTestDummy »

No progress today! Covering the trees took way longer than it should have. It is obvious we haven't had to do this in two years. We're very inefficient, and had the wrong covers on the wrong bits. Live and learn. I did get the spring compressors ON the last strut, but that's as far as it went.

Tomorrow's the first solo event of the 2017 season.... in 25 degree weather!! W0ot!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

After yesterday's autocross event (we took the Tahoe PPV), we got the other strut installed and the rear ride height sort of adjusted. I say 'sort of', because I set it a bit high, figuring it will settle some. It's now about 3/4" lower in the rear than it was. After some time passes, and/or I get under it to do the CTS brake upgrade, I'll set it down another 1/4-1/2", depending on how it settles out.

I mentioned cutting a hole in the floor of the trunk. Well, here it is, showing the remote adjuster poking up through the hole:

This time, I cut the first hole with a 1-1/8" hole saw, then ovalled the hole with my die grinder. MUCH quicker that way.

Today, I plan to verify the alignment on the front, and finally get it on the ground to see how it is.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I finally got everything tightened up and the alignment complete, and have the car on the ground:

I went conservative with the drop. It's probably 1" lower in the back, and 1/2" lower in the front. I'll drive it like that and see how it rides, then maybe drop it a little more.

Next up: Should be the CTS brake upgrade.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The stance on this thing, to me, is just about perfect. I'll try to get another picture soon, but while it doesn't look like I've lowered it much just looking at the gap between the wheels and fender lips, but when you walk up to the car (or are drying the roof after a wash), and especially when you get in the car, it's obvious that it's been dropped.

Driving it around the neighborhood, the car rides fine. Steering is about the same, although it does seem to have a bit of a pull to the right. That could be the crown in the road, or my alignment. I'll have to get it out on the freeway to see how it rides then. I got about -1/4-deg camber, and have it set at about 1/16" toe-in. I'll be running with those settings for a while to see how it works.

On a related note, I got to see the C-C plates a friend got for his Gen 5 Camaro. They are Vorslag units, and not cheap, but look like they could work okay for a Caprice. That way you could get more camber w/o losing space between the strut and top of the wheel. They are quality units.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Not much better than the first picture in the shop after the install, but here goes:

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

With some miles on the car, I thought I'd provide an update. Other than a little stiffer ride, which I LOVE, and a few extra clicks and bumps, I've had no issues with the car since putting it back on the ground. I think some of the noises are coming from the adjusters, which really flop around (the knob on the end of the adjuster wire provides quite the 'bob' weight so those things really swing around back there. I'm sure they're bouncing off the side- and floor panels on occasion.

We haven't had the car back on the autocross track, but I'm sure it would feel a lot better. There's a roundabout in my work commute that I can easily take at 40 MPH that was a bit dicey before. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Good writeup, but I'm very curious about something after reading a few how-tos on the G8 forums, along with this thread.

Everyone mentions what a nightmare the rear shock/spring assembly is to get out. The problem seems to be gaining clearance in the rear suspension to work the housing out of the upper and lower mounts. Why is no-one using an external spring compressor to compress the rear spring before trying to remove it? It looks as if you could shorten the spring an inch or two, making the rear assembly a non-event to remove from the car. Am I missing something that would prevent that from working?
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
kevink

Post by kevink »

cal30_sniper wrote:Good writeup, but I'm very curious about something after reading a few how-tos on the G8 forums, along with this thread.

Everyone mentions what a nightmare the rear shock/spring assembly is to get out. The problem seems to be gaining clearance in the rear suspension to work the housing out of the upper and lower mounts. Why is no-one using an external spring compressor to compress the rear spring before trying to remove it? It looks as if you could shorten the spring an inch or two, making the rear assembly a non-event to remove from the car. Am I missing something that would prevent that from working?
They are not hard to get out without compressing the springs. Just step on the lower control arm to lower it and pull the spring out.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

kevink wrote:
cal30_sniper wrote:Good writeup, but I'm very curious about something after reading a few how-tos on the G8 forums, along with this thread.

They are not hard to get out without compressing the springs. Just step on the lower control arm to lower it and pull the spring out.
I'm not completely sure there is even room up in there to get a compressor into place to help any. But as mentioned before, some downward pressure on the LCA, or remove it completely, is the trick. You'll want to disconnect the end link to the rear sway bar, too. The lower end of the strut fits into a little pocket in the LCA, so you'll have to lift it up, and over, into the LCA, then start bolting things back together.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?