Noise in rear when turning

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
BJThorndyke

Noise in rear when turning

Post by BJThorndyke »

The car is a 2014.

So I'm getting some kind of noise in the rear when turning. I notice it mostly with right turns and it definitely seems to be a rotating mass. I also noticed it when I did the test drive (bought the car last week), but was able to get it up on the lift at the dealer and I didn't see any signs of tire rubbing. Do the rear ends in these cars make noise in tight turns because of the limited slips? I noticed it today on a pretty even road so I didn't think it could be the driveshaft.
119C3NJ

Re: Noise in rear when turning

Post by 119C3NJ »

noise on a right turn. have you checked left wheel bearing?
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Wheel bearings are common
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Found the issue. Turns out it's not the rear at all, my ears were playing tricks apparently.

The car was in a front end accident before I bought it, which I knew about. The dealer I bought it from had put it back together and it looked mostly ok. I inspected it from underneath, frame rails looked good. Took the car in for an alignment yesterday and they found the problem - basically something in the knee assembly on the passenger side is bent. Alignment was way off on the passenger side but the drivers side was adjusted off too to compensate. The tire is pushed back a fair bit, which is where the scraping is coming from.

So I found a used assembly on eBay from a same year within 2k miles car, I'll put that on when it arrives and hopefully that'll sort it out.

So some loose hose clamps on the intake, uncharged AC (they replaced the accident damaged condenser but didn't refill the system), destroyed connectors for hood ajar switch and windshield washer pump, an early hood latch with no hood ajar switch, and what looks like an early core support so I can't put the right hood latch on it (not sure if this is why the later latch didn't fit - bolted in but couldn't get hood to latch). These are/were the car's issues, which is why it was so far under market when I bought it. Hopefully this is it and I can have some carefree driving for a while.