Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Stealthy, on a PPV. :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

For those looking...

Camaro Brakes in ATL for sale.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5079421739.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GTObert

Post by GTObert »

I got the rears on today. I did purchase the SS dust shields, but I am embarrassed to say that after looking at the hubs for a few minutes I couldn't figure out how they even come out. I decided to just cut the old shield and then paint the raw metal to prevent rust. Everything else fell right into place. I didn't have a steel wheel with me so I couldn't check the clearance, but I can tell that the rears have even more room than the fronts. I see no reason why they wouldn't fit.
Attachments
WP_20150726_002.jpg
WP_20150726_002.jpg (289.83 KiB) Viewed 13962 times
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

GTObert wrote:I got the rears on today. I did purchase the SS dust shields, but I am embarrassed to say that after looking at the hubs for a few minutes I couldn't figure out how they even come out. I decided to just cut the old shield and then paint the raw metal to prevent rust. Everything else fell right into place. I didn't have a steel wheel with me so I couldn't check the clearance, but I can tell that the rears have even more room than the fronts. I see no reason why they wouldn't fit.
That's some good info .
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

What size tires are you running on the Camaro wheels and which set did you use front & rear?

Looks GREAT!!

Is that the G8 spoiler too?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

GTObert wrote:I got the rears on today. I did purchase the SS dust shields, but I am embarrassed to say that after looking at the hubs for a few minutes I couldn't figure out how they even come out. I decided to just cut the old shield and then paint the raw metal to prevent rust. Everything else fell right into place. I didn't have a steel wheel with me so I couldn't check the clearance, but I can tell that the rears have even more room than the fronts. I see no reason why they wouldn't fit.
Isn't this what everyone said to do 3 months ago? and also where is your spare tire?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed, looks great. So what is the ultimate combination of parts, and about what was the price range you paid? I know you got some stuff on a pretty good deal, but it would be nice to know what all the moving parts are, and what to expect to pay. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

It is what everyone else said to do. The thing is I didn't think it would be that big of a deal to pull the hubs and replace the shield. I've changed a lot of wheel bearings in my day but I've never seen a setup like this. I couldn't see an easy way to remove them, so I just went ahead and cut the shields. And I just plain forgot about the spare tire. So sorry.

There is an entire thread on Camaro wheels and tires where you can find good info. I believe it was titled something about fender rolling with Camaro wheels. I am using a 275/30/20 and 245/35/20. I think the fronts are perfect but I am going to try to go wider and slightly taller on the rear next time. There's just a bit of a stretched look on the sidewall that I don't care for. The spoiler is from Crazy Paul.

The combination of parts, and this will not include part numbers as I bought all this stuff a really long time ago, is as follows:

Calipers front and rear from 2007 CTS-V, paid around $120 each from amazon
Banjo bolts from CTS-V, the original banjos will not fit. There may be a shorter banjo meant for the rear but I made them work.
Stainless steel braided lines for a G8 from Russell, about $100
Front rotors from Camaro SS, OEM parts, $75 or so each from amazon
Rear rotors from SS, info can be found on these further back in this thread, I remember thinking they weren't cheap
Redstuff pads from EBC brakes
Front caliper mounting bolts from CTS-V
Rear caliper mounting bolts from the local hardware store, M12x1.75x45 grade 10.9, M12 washers too

The only thing I was a little concerned about was the mounting holes for the front calipers. The new caliper uses an M12 bolt and the original used a 9/16" or possibly 14mm. This means when you install the new caliper there is some slop in the bolt hole, about 1mm gap around the bolt. I though about either drilling out the caliper to a 14mm hole or sleeving the knuckle with a roll pin or something similar, but in the end I just tightened everything down and it works fine. I've been driving around with the fronts for a couple months now and there are no issues. If I was autocrossing this thing I might be more concerned, but I'm not doing that anytime soon.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Great, thanks for putting the final combo in one list. I did go back and read the full thread, but with all the 'Camaro SS' and 'Chevy SS' and 'SS' being thrown around and 'yeah it'll work' and 'oh wait, it won't' back-and-forth, things got confusing to my tiny little brane quickly.

Yeah, I'd probably to for some sort of bushing for the front bolts. It should hold, but I'd think a bushing of some sort would help better-distribute the stresses under braking.

I'm guessing the calipers are a bit lighter than the factory bits?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Yes they are noticeably lighter, but the rotors are noticeably heavier. If you find something off the shelf to use as a bushing let me know. I am toying with the idea of having the machinist at work spin me out a couple. But really, there have been no problems with leaving it as is, so I might not bother.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO