Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
GTObert

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by GTObert »

Right, but I thought the Camaro used a larger rear rotor and therefore the calipers will not work with the new SS rotors. Am I missing something?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

If you read the link from the SS Forum, you'll see:

Camaro SS rear rotor is 365mm - with larger diameter park brake & shoe

SS sedan (2015 with rear Brembo) rear rotor is 360mm - with park brake sized to fit SS, G8, and PPV

The 5mm difference in rotor diameter (2.5mm smaller radially--0.1") is PROBABLY not going to be an issue when mounting the Brembo caliper, whether from the Camaro or Cadillac CTS-V.

The important thing is to understand that the 2015 SS sedan rotor is a solution to a situation that required much more effort to "correct" when adding Brembo rear brakes to a G8, meaning there were either special 350mm rotors from HSV (from Australia), requiring pad mods, or, to use Camaro 365mm rotors, special brackets and special park brake shoes were necessary to have full system function--in some cases, G8 owners chose to not have a functioning park brake to do this "on the cheap", which I consider unacceptable.

IF it is a necessity to use the specific Brembo (rear) calipers being fitted to the 2015 SS, the whole effort gets much more expensive, as they are (for whatever reason) much pricier than the CTS-V or Camaro Brembo rear calipers.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

When do you think we will be able to do this rear brake swap (for those looking to do so) ?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm already checking on this for an SS owner. It will probably be a few months before the parts are all available here in the U.S.

For the PPV, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, one of the things that needs to be considered is that you shouldn't plan to do the rear brakes unless you are also going to do the front brakes (Brembo conversion/upgrade).

Wheel fitment is a second issue--once a 2015 SS is available to see what it will take to fit wheels other than the standard 19" SS wheels--and whether ANY 18" wheel will fit--needs to be evaluated.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Navy Lifer wrote:I'm already checking on this for an SS owner. It will probably be a few months before the parts are all available here in the U.S.

For the PPV, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, one of the things that needs to be considered is that you shouldn't plan to do the rear brakes unless you are also going to do the front brakes (Brembo conversion/upgrade).

Wheel fitment is a second issue--once a 2015 SS is available to see what it will take to fit wheels other than the standard 19" SS wheels--and whether ANY 18" wheel will fit--needs to be evaluated.
Ten four I read you loud and clear . I will be looking for your update when ever it comes . Looking forward to doing this .
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Anyone actually do any of this yet? I've called a couple dealers and can't get a straight answer on what bolt would be necessary to tighten the calipers to the knuckles. I found a forum post with a number for the fronts but I'm not sure if it applies to the rear as well.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Yes, this is the way this car was always meant to be.
Attachments
WP_20150405_001.jpg
WP_20150405_001.jpg (246.29 KiB) Viewed 12692 times
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Looks good Gtobert looks real good ! So what did you find out about the bolt ?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Nothing yet. I only had time for the fronts today. Rears next weekend.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

GTObert wrote:Yes, this is the way this car was always meant to be.
Looks good!!!

The law enforcement community would probably disagree--they want maintenance to be cheap. It could be argued either way which approach is better. Brembo MAY actually be easier/quicker to maintain (change pads, at least) but what happens to initial cost and subsequent maintenance costs?

What pads did you use?

I've got V calipers being processed now...in the next few months I'll get something done.