Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
CrazyIvan

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by CrazyIvan »

Navy Lifer wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:58 am CI, here you go:

Gen6 Camaro 4-piston caliper (Brembo 2nd design)

Stock PPV 345mm rotor (or any variant for PPV front from numerous sources) - Camaro/Alpha 345 rotor DOES NOT work, different hat height

Pads - FMSI D1474A (with small dampers) - there is no requirement to run these pads, and FMSI D1001 pads (no dampers) will also work. OEM Camaro pads for the Gen6 calipers are D1474A
You sir are awesome for the response. I will go ahead and ask now. By 2nd design what do you mean? I have looked around to get an idea. But I assume you are referring to revisions to the brake caliper? If it was purchased from an OEM will the chance of getting the 2nd design be good?

And using the PPV Banjo as well correct?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

1st design Brembo 4-piston caliper is what we know as the caliper used on CTS-V (1st generation), all of the Zeta platform models - G8 GXP, Gen5 Camaro SS (2010-2015), and Chevy SS sedan (2014-2017). It has an external fluid transfer pipe. Rotor diameter in front is 355mm.

2nd design Brembo 4-piston caliper came along with the Gen6 Camaro SS and other Alpha platform models (Cadillac CTS & XTS) as well as C7 Corvette. It has NO external fluid transfer pipe. Rotor diameter is 345mm.

Both 1st & 2nd design use common pads - either D1001 or D1474 (of which there are a couple of versions)

Using Amazon for photos, here are some links.

Example of a 1st generation caliper - external pipe and 2 piston sizes https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2287 ... 175&sr=8-9
Example of a 2nd generation caliper - no external pipe https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2784 ... -1-catcorr

for 355x32 rotor - external pipe (1st design) ^^^
for 355x32 rotor - external pipe (1st design) ^^^
PPV RF new rotor and caliper.JPG (39.91 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
for 345x30 rotor - no external pipe (2nd design) ^^^
for 345x30 rotor - no external pipe (2nd design) ^^^
Camaro Alpha caliper - 345.JPG (35.86 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Gen6 caliper mounted on PPV with 345mm rotor
Gen6 caliper mounted on PPV with 345mm rotor
345 Brembo1.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 7902 times

As for the banjo, my recommendation would be to replace the hydraulic hoses with either the TechnaFit PN 4500 (4-hose kit) or the Goodridge PN 23225 (4-hose kit).

TechnaFit kit
Techna-Fit hose kit with PN.JPG
Techna-Fit hose kit with PN.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Goodridge hose kit 23225 & 23226
Goodridge hose kit 23225 & 23226
Goodridge kits.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Navy Lifer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:56 pm 1st design Brembo 4-piston caliper is what we know as the caliper used on CTS-V (1st generation), all of the Zeta platform models - G8 GXP, Gen5 Camaro SS (2010-2015), and Chevy SS sedan (2014-2017). It has an external fluid transfer pipe. Rotor diameter in front is 355mm.

2nd design Brembo 4-piston caliper came along with the Gen6 Camaro SS and other Alpha platform models (Cadillac CTS & XTS) as well as C7 Corvette. It has NO external fluid transfer pipe. Rotor diameter is 345mm.

Both 1st & 2nd design use common pads - either D1001 or D1474 (of which there are a couple of versions)

Using Amazon for photos, here are some links.

Example of a 1st generation caliper - external pipe and 2 piston sizes https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2287 ... 175&sr=8-9
Example of a 2nd generation caliper - no external pipe https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2784 ... -1-catcorr

PPV RF new rotor and caliper.JPG

Camaro Alpha caliper - 345.JPG

345 Brembo1.jpg

As for the banjo, my recommendation would be to replace the hydraulic hoses with either the TechnaFit PN 4500 (4-hose kit) or the Goodridge PN 23225 (4-hose kit).

TechnaFit kit Techna-Fit hose kit with PN.JPG

Goodridge kits.JPG
Ok so what I have is the 2nd gen on order. The 6th Gen SS 4 Piston calipers. Also. FWIW I have looked and neither the Tech or Good lines come up with valid part numbers. The 4500 aren't even on the site. Not sure what's up with that.

Edit: I found the Goodridge kit. But nobody seems to have that kit. 23225 to be exact
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Call technafit. When I called they knew exactly what I was talking about.

And it shipped with the Chev-4500 label on the bag. It would be nice if it was on their site, but it's also not a top seller.

I was pleased with the build quality and fit of mine.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

OK, a couple more comments

Goodridge hose kits are nearly identical - the main difference is the 23225 kit provides (I think) an extra pair of banjo bolts for the front PPV calipers, which are not the same thread spec as Brembo (iron vs aluminum).

Another difference - Goodridge kits include the front hose brackets, where the TechnaFit kit does not - the TF kit is "universal" to fit both Caprice PPV and SS sedan. In reality, it's OK to re-use OEM banjo bolts, in either application.

Stock (rubber) front hose brackets can be modified to work with the TechnaFit kit. The TF kit generally sells for $99 plus shipping, is made to order, with a range of colors offered for the outer protective vinyl sheath - and TF is very responsive. You're dealing direct with the company, where Goodridge is through distributors.

I don't know why TF has never considered it appropriate to put the 4500 kit in their online ordering page - many of the other vehicles listed are no longer big enough "movers" to be in their listings, so I don't know what's at issue with listing the kit for their shopping cart setup instead of having to call. That's their business, so be it.

TechnaFit hose/bracket detailed info:
Thread - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 999c226a72

Post w/photos - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... a72#p18389

Another post w/photos - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =10#p18439

The takeaway from the thread links - for TechnaFit, the hose bracket is modified by cutting the stock hose fitting flush with the bracket surface, allowing the rest of the fitting to be punched out. The remaining hole needs to be enlarged to 39/64" (0.609").
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Alright sir, good copy.

So I'll call them today and see about getting a set. Just need to figure the banjo and pads.
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

Navy Lifer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:37 am OK, a couple more comments

Goodridge hose kits are nearly identical - the main difference is the 23225 kit provides (I think) an extra pair of banjo bolts for the front PPV calipers, which are not the same thread spec as Brembo (iron vs aluminum).

Another difference - Goodridge kits include the front hose brackets, where the TechnaFit kit does not - the TF kit is "universal" to fit both Caprice PPV and SS sedan. In reality, it's OK to re-use OEM banjo bolts, in either application.

Stock (rubber) front hose brackets can be modified to work with the TechnaFit kit. The TF kit generally sells for $99 plus shipping, is made to order, with a range of colors offered for the outer protective vinyl sheath - and TF is very responsive. You're dealing direct with the company, where Goodridge is through distributors.

I don't know why TF has never considered it appropriate to put the 4500 kit in their online ordering page - many of the other vehicles listed are no longer big enough "movers" to be in their listings, so I don't know what's at issue with listing the kit for their shopping cart setup instead of having to call. That's their business, so be it.

TechnaFit hose/bracket detailed info:
Thread - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 999c226a72

Post w/photos - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... a72#p18389

Another post w/photos - http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =10#p18439

The takeaway from the thread links - for TechnaFit, the hose bracket is modified by cutting the stock hose fitting flush with the bracket surface, allowing the rest of the fitting to be punched out. The remaining hole needs to be enlarged to 39/64" (0.609").
So let me gather my thoughts off this then.

Getting a NEW set of OEM Banjo bolts for the Brembo's will be acceptable. But in reality what should be used? the OEM from the camaro? I see this being a Banjo-Hose issue but unsure if that will make a difference if the PPV works so should the Brembo OEM one as well unless the Banjo hose end is taller or shorter.

With the pads stating that one or another having the damper can cause issues using OEM Steel wheels. The pads that are the 1001's any pad based on that should be ok. As I don't think I want to run into an issue with spacing. I was considering a Hawk pad or OEM. But I am seeing mixed answers on if the OEM Brembo pads work.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

While I'm running, and very happy with, the TechnaFit set I got from Bill (spare set, thanks again, Bill!), for completeness, I'll note that Pegasus Racing is a stocking dealer and hose builder for Goodridge hoses:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advca ... yID=BRAKES

I needed a set of hoses for our 98 Dakota R/T, and could find nothing in stock (even standard replacement hoses, which I really didn't want to go back to), so called Pegasus. They ended up ordering them from the UK, IIRC, and got us back on the road. Great service, and decent prices, too.

I just wanted to provide the information so another source can be provided.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrazyIvan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 am
So let me gather my thoughts off this then.

Getting a NEW set of OEM Banjo bolts for the Brembo's will be acceptable. But in reality what should be used? the OEM from the camaro? I see this being a Banjo-Hose issue but unsure if that will make a difference if the PPV works so should the Brembo OEM one as well unless the Banjo hose end is taller or shorter.

With the pads stating that one or another having the damper can cause issues using OEM Steel wheels. The pads that are the 1001's any pad based on that should be ok. As I don't think I want to run into an issue with spacing. I was considering a Hawk pad or OEM. But I am seeing mixed answers on if the OEM Brembo pads work.
OK, so I realize there's another detail I may not have shared.....with OEM steel PPV wheels, both versions of the Brembo front caliper/rotor will work. The difference is that I do not think the larger (1st gen caliper/355mm rotor) will clear the OEM wheel using the D1474 pads, as the dampers extend above the caliper body (radially). So, for a 355mm setup, the D1001 pads would be appropriate for an 18" wheel.

For the smaller (2nd gen caliper/345mm rotor) I've not heard that the D1474A (small damper) pads won't work with the OEM steel wheel, but they can always be cut off, or D1001 pads can be used. I'm certain the original D1474 "roller skate" pads would not be suitable for 18" OEM wheels.

The whole damper "thing" started with the 2010 Camaro SS, which had 20" wheels standard, so there were no clearance issues with the original D1474 "roller skate" pads. Dampers on the pads are for mitigation of a brake noise/squeal situation that the Brembo combination has shown a tendency toward.

OEM pads for CTS-V1 or G8 GXP are the D1001 "no-damper" version, and are Brembo sourced, with the Ferodo HP1000 friction material. The other option is the pads from XTS Cadillac or C7 Corvette meeting D1001/D1050 spec. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 89&jsn=465

For clarification:
D1001 & D1050 are the same as for fitment by OEM application - no dampers
D1474 & D1474A are OEM application specific, based on wheel size - with larger or small dampers for clearance

As for the "banjo" bolts, both TechnaFit and Goodridge include new bolts and seal gaskets in their kits.
CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

I realize while I may be asking a lot of info at the same time. I will be also adding this info for the PPV Vs the World page that I am starting. Pretty much a performance hub and info for all that don't know what a forum is lol.