Akebono Ceramic front pads

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Hendo

Akebono Ceramic front pads

Post by Hendo »

Ordered Akebono Street Performance Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads - Front (4-Pad Set)
Part No ASP1404 for car to deal with brake dust, rotor wear and low speed brake noise. They were crossed referenced with the help of Navylifer as Camaro V6 pads. Got nice deal ordered from Advance Auto, had special with 15% off and $25 certificate that will be mailed to me on the 13th of July. I will use credits for rear Ceramic pads. Will do a review of pads once they arrive, I install and see how they do. The pads were a few bucks short of $75 minimum for $25 certificate and free delivery. Added Mobile 1 oil filter, will change oil early with Mobile 1 to make sure AFM lifters are kept good until I can tune AFM delete and/or install delete kit.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Akebono Ceramic front pads

Post by elc32955 »

Interesting.... hope this goes well. I put the CTS-V V6 pads (GM OEM) on the front of my car, and I've only seen minimal effect as far as dust reduction. I did notice some additional effort required for stopping, although it wasn't obtrusive. My wheels are black again, took every slightly longer time though.

Keep us posted on how these wear in and perform....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Eric, you have confused me....what PN pads did you install? The CTS does not use the same caliper as PPV. Only Camaro (V6) has the same caliper and pad configuration.

Your post here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=280&p=3434#p3421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm surprised to read that you've got dusting issues with the Camaro pads--mine have remained considerably less-dusty than the OE PPV pads. I'd say there may be an issue with the break-in process, but I'm curious about this, no matter.

Has brake squeal diminished with the use of the new pads?
Hendo

Post by Hendo »

Installed pads last night at Novaduce's garage(thanks Scott :D ) Car is reading 2800miles. Rotors looked great. Went as easy and quick as possible, no surprises.
Initial impressions
The low speed squeaking noise is gone.
They feel great, better than stock, noticed the difference immediately.
Cycled the brakes med/hard on empty back road 10-12 times, no noticeable fade, totally smooth, consistent, firm, progressive response through the whole pedal , no pulsing or juddering and excellent initial "bite".
I believe there is a performance improvement over stock.
No dust has appeared yet.
I don't want to sound like a person who is simply promoting his own choice here and justifying his purchase.
Anyone is welcome to drive my car and feel these brakes for him/herself and tell me if I am crazy. :?
Time will tell but, as of now I would highly recommend these brakes to anyone who is sick of the factory shortcomings.
I will put on more miles and report back.