Alignment by Dealer Only??

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
JRWolff

Alignment by Dealer Only??

Post by JRWolff »

Hi All,
Had an appointment for a lifetime alignment at my local Firestone Complete Auto Car shop this afternoon. After putting my car on the alignment rack, the tech came out and said he was unable to align my car as it requires "an OEM scan tool and special tools/procedures after a wheel alignment" because it has Electronic Stability Control. I spoke to both the Tech and Manager hoping to convince them that this was not necessary to no avail.

So, has anyone else ever heard this from an alignment shop? I cant image that this is accurate information, so I am hoping that someone here can confirm whether or not it is. I have included a photo of the paperwork the the Tech was kind enough to let me keep showing the above statements.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John
Attachments
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2069 times
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
Mooseman

Re: Alignment by Dealer Only??

Post by Mooseman »

Not here even though I have the only Caprice in Canada. Took it to a Kal Tire and they were able to align it front and back.

If they couldn't align it because it has stability control, i.e. Stabilitrak, then they wouldn't be able to align anything from 2006 onward. Find another shop.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Thanks Mooseman,

Couldn't agree with you more. Will be calling a different shop tomorrow to see what they have to say. A little further away from my home, but they also offer a lifetime warranty alignment. I appreciate your response.

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I would guess probably 90% of vehicles have some sort of electronic stability control. Is that thier scam sell a lifetime alignment package then refuse to do them? Would assume you got a refund of the lifetime alignment package?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Not sure if a scam or just workers not wanting to work?? I did not have to pay anything. Called another shop (Tires Plus) which is owned by the same parent company and asked if they could do the alignment. The only question they asked is if it was lowered, to which I replied it wasn't - suspension is all completely stock. I also told them what the other shop said and their reply was that the information was incorrect - they should have been able to perform the alignment.

I have an appointment next Tuesday afternoon there. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks,
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

My alignment shop affiliated with Goodyear was able to do alignments on both my cars (my old 2011 9C3 and my 2015 9C1) with no problem.

Blimey, methinks skullduggery be afoot Holmes!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I've had my caprice aligned at two different independent shops ~$60 each time. They want my money because it is THEIR business and I tell them exactly what I want them to do. I stand under the car with them. Most franchise shops don't give a shit and will do absolute minimum adjustment to get a green print out.
2016 Caprice
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi All,
So i went to the other shop (Tires Plus) yesterday and had my lifetime alignment done without any major issues. They stated that one of the strut bolts was seized so they were not able to set the camber on the passenger side front wheel but they would be more than happy to order replacement bolts and make the adjustment later. I told them that i would replace the bolts and bring it back for a realignment - they were completely OK with this and said whatever works better for me. What a GREAT experience there compared to the sister shop in my town.

I ordered new bolts, nuts and washers last night. Once they get here, I'll replace them and go back for another alignment. Hopefully I will have the same courteous, knowledgeable group of people that I had yesterday. It was a pleasant experience. Well worth the 20 mile drive rather that dealing with the idiots at the original location.

Thanks for all the replies and info!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Should only need the OEM scan tool to reset the steering angle sensor, but that shouldn't be required on a normal alignment.
2015 Caprice 6.0
DirtNapPat

Post by DirtNapPat »

DapperDanMan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:57 pm Should only need the OEM scan tool to reset the steering angle sensor, but that shouldn't be required on a normal alignment.
With electric steering it is...I only know cause I had a car I fought the alignment in since I got it. Only when I replaced the steering wheel and faults popped up, I compared info on my pres can I did before I started. Prescan showed the car was seeing 30 degrees of steering wheel input when it was actually centered. Only reason for this is one or more alignments and or changes were made without re-calibration. I HAD to do a relearn to get rid of the fault. When it re calibrated and I drove it..it drove like it never has. Come to find out,the PSCM uses the steering sensor to "locate" the on-center position and will actually provide a small amount of electrical current to "return" to the center position...thus why it was fighting me all the time. When we finally performed it at our shop..it also comes up as procedure in them machine
Forums> Facebook Groups....always

"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." ..Samuel Beckett