ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light Intermittent

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
v8steel

ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light Intermittent

Post by v8steel »

I have a 2013 Caprice PPV 6.0 with 101k miles and it recently started lighting the ABS/StabiliTrak fault light intermittently. The first time it happened was during the first mile of a 5 mile trip. I shut off the car, went in for a bite to eat, came out an hour later and started the car. NO fault light and did not come back on for the rest of that return trip. Next trip, no issues, no lights. Next trip, light came on right after car started up. Light went off inside of 1st mile, stayed off through that 10 mile trip. Since then, the light doesn't seem to follow any patterns, but DOES seem to be on more than it is off. The second time it did come on, I hooked up an inexpensive (Harbor Freight) OBDII reader and there were no fault codes even though the light was on. I have read codes with that same reader in totally different situations.

Does anybody have any idea where I need to start looking for issues?

I did a search before making this post, but did not find anything to move forward with. I did see a link I thought explained the basic operation of this system, but the link was no good. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
Mooseman

Re: ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light Intermittent

Post by Mooseman »

To properly diagnose this, you need to scan to get the codes out. Without that, you're just chasing your tail.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Without properly diagnosing it, the easiest thing to check is the rear abs harness, particularly the plug in front of the passenger rear wheel underneath the body

On my car and my dad's g8 the wires started to fray and gave intermittent abs faults
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Short of any info from the codes present take a look at your engine ground. They can get pretty crusty. Some example:

viewtopic.php?t=3749
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

smwalker wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:27 pm Short of any info from the codes present take a look at your engine ground. They can get pretty crusty. Some example:

viewtopic.php?t=3749
This.

I had an intermittent Stabilitrak error that was driving me crazy. I cleaned the all the grounds I could find in the engine bay, including the one in that thread and it reduced the frequency significantly. I finally added a new ground from the driver side head to the chassis and eliminated the issue entirely.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Oh and I forgot to ask about tires. Do you have the same size tires front and rear? Our blue car has an intermittent abs/stabilitrak error due to a tire diameter difference front to rear.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
v8steel

Post by v8steel »

Engine grounds and ground at ABS unit looked good, but I still pulled them apart, cleaned everything and re-assembled. Connector just in front of passenger rear tire seems OK. I still grabbed and torqued it in case it might be loose. Didn't seem to be. OBDII Code reader didn't detect any codes. Problem still exists.
This is the reader. It is HF's inexpensive unit. Can anybody recommend a good OBDii interface and App for Iphone?
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I don't know about an interface that works with smartphones, but basically you need a scanner that specifies that it can do ABS functions.

I think the Autel ML619 is the cheapest Autel unit that does it, I have had very good experience with this brand for many years.

Most OBD Scanners, like the one you pictured only interface with the ECM/TCM. The codes/data you need to find your problem likely exist in the BCM or ABS module.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Have a look here. This other forum I'm on has a pretty extensive scanner section and this one may work for you:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/ob ... eat.22341/
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419