Softest (least harsh) strut/shock, spring, tire setup?

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
RMC

Re: Softest (least harsh) strut/shock, spring, tire setup?

Post by RMC »

Everything is a matter of degrees. The spring rates on my Roadmaster wagon are way too soft for ultimate handling, not matter the size of sway bars.

My 2011 Caprice PPV is very stiff...at the limit for typical roads in my opinion. I bet it would do great on a skidpad or smooth racetracks though. I haven't pushed it that hard and therefore I haven't gotten into trouble. I am looking for softer springs and struts for comfort. I am not racing it.

My ideal setup would be base G8 springs and Koni Street shocks/struts (not sure if they made them, may have to settle for Sports). My other choice would be the Statesman stock setup. (I am sure that the shipping will kill that idea.) I will probably have to settle for 2103 PPV springs, shocks, struts.
gpz750

Post by gpz750 »

Car doesn’t ride terrible at highway speed, but city streets are a killer.
Currently has ss springs on it, which makes it to low for most places I have to drive.
I would like to get closer to factory height.
The caprice is by far the roughest riding patrol car I have driven.
For daily use the charger was a better compromise, but its a dodge…
kevink

Post by kevink »

Does anyone know how the base G8 front spring rate compares to 2011 springs? Is it actually less or are we just guessing? I want to make my front as soft as possible. Is this a good option?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
gpz750

Post by gpz750 »

I am in the same boat. Not alot of options out there. I am leaning towards the pedders coilovers. That way i can adjust the height, and if need be swap out different rated springs.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am working a deal to get some G8 struts and coilovers. I don't have any real data like spring rates, but it seems to going in the right direction and the price is right.

I would love to get the Statesman struts and coilovers from Australia. (I hear the Statesman has the rear air shocks. This is common in softer suspensions.)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Owning a 2011 (BL571728) now for nearly 10 years, since late 2012 - from "new" (23 miles on odometer, sold by Jim Ellis Chev as used), I endured the harshness early on.

My solution:

Replaced PPV springs with SS springs (in 2017)

Replaced struts/shocks with new OEM (Monroe AU sourced) parts (in 2017)

Adjusted tire pressures to 36 PSI - all corners (TPMS adjusted to 28-30 PSI avoids nuisance alarms with production setpoints)

Replaced OE rear bar with 15-17 SS (25mm) rear bar - requires bracket fab & rear lower control arm change & Brembo rear conversion - also added Camaro Z/28 toe link & trailing arm

From OEM wheels, went to 19x8.5 wheel & 255/40 tire on original suspension and even with 36 PSI in tires, ride was still not pleasant.

After change was made to SS springs & new struts, returned to 18x9 forged wheel & 255/45 tire, have been running this ever since.

Now have 100K+ on car, nearly 35K on this combination.

As far as need to change front bar, since it's not "easy" for the average DIY effort, adding the OE 14-17 (26mm) bar isn't absolutely necessary (or something larger from aftermarket) to counter any increase in rear bar stiffness. The car can stand the move toward more neutral balance by leaving the front bar alone with an increase at the rear, until the point is reached where handling limits are being pushed, or car is too tail-happy. Stabilitrak will limit that behavior more on early cars.

If a car is "lowered", or alignment isn't right, or chassis parts are worn/defective, much of the effectiveness of some of these changes will be blunted.

Running on larger 19" or 20" wheels & tires, with shorter tire sidewalls, will rarely be as comfortable as staying with 18's--it may not look as cool vs larger wheels, but with the miles on mine, it's been an very enjoyable ride since making the changes recited.

In the future, I may try a 26mm front OE bar and 27mm aftermarket rear bar combination.