WM and WN suspension differences

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
BluesBro

WM and WN suspension differences

Post by BluesBro »

Nasty clunk coming from the left front of my car, sooner than I wanted, but its time to dig into the suspension. At 86k I'm sure the struts are shot, springs are disintegrating, strut mounts are likely toast. I could spend 200$ on poly strut mounts, 300ish on struts, and another 200-300 for springs, plus hardware and bushings, or I can just bit the bullet and do the coil-overs I want. I have had BC coil-overs on other cars in the past and I am not a fan of the ride or longevity. My dads 2013 has the Pedders extreme XA kit and the ride is fantastic and has held up great for the 30k+ miles so far.

On to the questions, what are the major differences from WM to WN? Pedders has an application for the 2011-2013 cars but does not list a kit for the 2014+. They do however have an SS kit. I worry a bit that the SS kit will have a lower "center" and end up being very low even adjusted up. I do need a bit of height, I live in a rural area the occasionally requires ground clearance.

WM Kit - https://pedders.com/products/160064-ext ... -2008-2009

SS Kit - https://pedders.com/products/160094-ext ... evrolet-ss
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: WM and WN suspension differences

Post by Navy Lifer »

1. Sway bars are larger with WN
2. More aluminum parts in suspension
3. Front knuckle is wider where it fits into clevis on strut - same as VF
4. OE springs may provide slightly higher ride height in WN

You shouldn't have any issue fitting the Pedders coil overs on the PPV.

There is a coil-over kit by H&R for 2014 SS that is another option to consider. https://www.hrsprings.com/application/s ... Suspension
Generally available for under $1300
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Thanks for the info, the knuckle attachment being wider is an interesting difference.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

the front knuckle changed from cast iron/steel to aluminum with VF/WN update - so GMH increased the width of the knuckle where it fits into the clevis on the strut for equivalent strength to the VE/WM version.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Navy Lifer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 pm the front knuckle changed from cast iron/steel to aluminum with VF/WN update - so GMH increased the width of the knuckle where it fits into the clevis on the strut for equivalent strength to the VE/WM version.
Ah, makes sense.