Steering Wheel Shake

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
E142631

Steering Wheel Shake

Post by E142631 »

So long story short the steering wheel has a shake in it from 55 mph to 75 mph some days it is worse than other days and seems to get better the longer you drive it, otherwise at any other speed it steers smooth and tight. So I have replaced almost all front end components on my 2012 Caprice as well as had an alignment done. Replaced all 4 tires with new ones and found that I had 2 bent rims. I replaced 1 bent rim with my spare which we confirmed isn't bent and moved the least bent one to the rear of the car. I have two brand new wheels waiting to be put on at the shop but I'm still concerned this wont solve my problem. Any one else ran into this issue before ? All rearend parts are factory but the alignment shop didn't say anything about needing any steering parts replaced when I had it aligned.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Steering Wheel Shake

Post by Navy Lifer »

First thing - check rotor runout.

Next - check DTV - Disc Thickness Variation- which is not the same as runout.

Break down front brake calipers, pull rotors and look for corrosion on inside face of rotor hat (surface in contact with hub) and the hub flange surface itself. For accurate readings, mark rotor & hub to replace rotor in same orientation to wheel studs in order to have meaningful checking of the issue. Thoroughly clean the contact surfaces of hub & rotor.

There is a G8 bulletin that describes some of this - it was never issued for PPV, however some of the symptoms addressed in that bulleting could apply.

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=3471

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... ion#p26442

Beyond any of this, the wheels MUST be round and true, and the wheel mating surface with the rotor MUST be clean and free of corrosion.
E142631

Post by E142631 »

Sorry I forgot to mention the Rotors and pads are brand new and runout has been verified to be in spec. No excessive shaking while braking in fact when brakes applied around 60mph the vibration slows down. I cleaned all mating surfaces today and installed the new rims and tires seemed to help some but didn't totally eliminate the issue. Wheels balanced perfectly as well.....I'm lost ! Thanks for your help ! Also does anyone notice these cars like to pull you around the road depending on the road surface and how curved or flat it is?
E142631

Post by E142631 »

I'm going to check the pads and rotors again as after some research I believe this has to be my problem area. I will report back with what I find !
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

E142631 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm Sorry I forgot to mention the Rotors and pads are brand new and runout has been verified to be in spec. No excessive shaking while braking in fact when brakes applied around 60mph the vibration slows down. I cleaned all mating surfaces today and installed the new rims and tires seemed to help some but didn't totally eliminate the issue. Wheels balanced perfectly as well.....I'm lost ! Thanks for your help ! Also does anyone notice these cars like to pull you around the road depending on the road surface and how curved or flat it is?
Yes!

Have you verified you have no broken belts in the tires? How are the front wheel hubs? If you had (a) bent wheel(s), I'd check that the hubs are in good shape. If they've been replaced, still verify. The ball-bearing style replaceable hubs are notorious for not lasting long. What are the alignment settings?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
E142631

Post by E142631 »

Brand new tires ! Replacing hubs tomorrow just to be safe !
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Just because they're new doesn't mean they're good. Same with the hubs.

What are your alignment settings? Do you have enough caster?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
E142631

Post by E142631 »

Tried 2 different sets of tires ......Putting hubs on this week will check run out.....Found a pad that wore improperly so I will be starting there.
2822MM

Re: Steering Wheel Shake/Not smooth

Post by 2822MM »

I have a 2014 PPV with the same issues. Vibrations in the steering and almost feels like wheel weights are missing or bad alignment. However, brand new alignment was performed and brand new tires and high speed balance performed, yet nothing.
E142631

Post by E142631 »

After replacing everything I still have a slight shimmy from 60mph on up....I've lost all hope all new front end parts new tires and rims aligned and balanced......not much more i can think of.....