Brake caliper mounting bracket & brake backing plate upgrade ?

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
PPV Dad

Brake caliper mounting bracket & brake backing plate upgrade ?

Post by PPV Dad »

Hello,
My son and I are researching to make a brake caliper upgrade to our 2013 Caprice PPV, L77 and use the front ( 6 piston ) & rear ( 4 piston ) calipers from a CTS V 2009-2015 donor car. Our question after reviewing all the great post about this topic from all the member here, is our stock Caprice caliper mounting brackets & the brake backing plates / splash shields work with the new CTS V calipers or will we need these parts from the CTS V donor car as well.
Thank you in advance for help.
Pat
2013 Chevy Caprice PPV, 9C1, L77, 3” Solo exhaust, Baer 6 piston front calipers, 2nd gen. CTS -V sedan wheels , BMR sway bars and end links
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Brake caliper mounting bracket & brake backing plate upgrade ?

Post by Navy Lifer »

The front shield may require a little trimming, or it can easily be removed.

For the park brake to work, the 15-17 SS sedan rear rotor is the rotor that is compatible with the park brake system.

The shield must be trimmed to remove the right-angle portion of the shield, since the correct rotor is larger (360mm vs 324mm), or the shield can be cut away completely. The inner area must remain to mount the park brake ssetup.

The shield can also be replaced with the same part from the 15-17 SS sedan - that is a bit more work.

The rear Brembo brakes will clear stock steel wheels....the front 6-piston caliper setup requires a wheel with a specific barrel shape to clear, but I don't think the OE PPV steel wheel will work, so if your plans are for wheels, you may want to look at 19" & 20" wheels.
PPV Dad

Post by PPV Dad »

Morning,
Thank you for the reply and info, very helpful.
Yes we are looking at the CTs v 19” wheels , 2013 model , front 19 x 9 with a 51mm offset and rear
19 x 9.5 with a 56mm offset . Front tire 255/40/19 or 255/35/19 , rear 285/35/19 , this we think will clear the upgraded brake calipers and suspension but I still not clear about which caliper mounting bracket we use, the stock 2013 PPV or the CTS V brackets .
As always thank you in advance for the help.
Pat
Pat
2013 Chevy Caprice PPV, 9C1, L77, 3” Solo exhaust, Baer 6 piston front calipers, 2nd gen. CTS -V sedan wheels , BMR sway bars and end links
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Pat,
FYI - not to dissuade your choice, I suspect that +51mm front wheel is going to require a small spacer, of 3 to 5mm. I'm currently running a 9" +47 wheel and a 255/45-18 tire, and it is EXTREMELY close to the strut body - just something to think about.

As for brakes, here's how it works - the brakes on the car now utilize a bracket that is separate, which houses the guide pins for the floating caliper system and the guide channels for the brake pads. For an upgrade to Brembo brakes, that bracket is removed with the stock calipers.

The Brembo caliper is a fixed (vs floating) design, and the mounting points/ears are an integral part of the caliper body itself. Unlike some Brembo and other high-performance brakes, the mounting points are lateral - the bolts are parallel to the axle or spindle. So, to answer your question specifically, the CTS-V Brembo "brackets" are used to mount the calipers to the PPV.

On the donor car, the rear calipers mount ahead of axle center, which means that the external plumbing (fluid transfer line) will need to be swapped end-to-end, as the caliper on PPV will be mounted behind the axle center, and the bleeders must face upward. Also, the differential-piston orientation is correct by keeping the caliper on the same side rather than swapping calipers side-to-side.

EDIT - side view of CTS-V donor - caliper location
2013-cadillac-cts-v-sedan_9 (1).jpg
2013-cadillac-cts-v-sedan_9 (1).jpg (85.7 KiB) Viewed 4964 times

There are radial-mount Brembo brakes, found in higher-end vehicles and in the Brembo aftermarket product line, but the OEM's have largely chosen the integral bracket design. Radial-mount would be nice, as it makes rotor servicing much simpler.
PPV Dad

Post by PPV Dad »

Hello Bill,
Thank you for the reply and info which has been a great help.
Per your earlier reply to our front wheel & tire choice, do we gain any wheel / tire clearance on the front suspension if we go with coilovers in place of the factory stuts.
Be safe,
Pat
Pat
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Pat, others will know for sure - Scott (in Gainesville) has coil-overs on one of the PPV's (BC brand, I think).

PM me your contact info so I can put you & Scott in touch by phone....I'll have him call you.