stock vs SS vs G8 springs

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
jj55chevy

stock vs SS vs G8 springs

Post by jj55chevy »

I just found out that I have a broken coil on the front of my 2012 Caprice. My question is what would be the most practical way for me to take care of this. This car is my daily driver and as we know they have a stiff ride. I am not looking to lower it and I am content with the stock stance. I have Camaro tires/rims on it for the summer that occasionally rub so I think lowing it would increase that problem. I looked on Craigslist and have found all the types that I listed in the header here. I am wondering what would give me the best ride and what would be the pecking order for stiffness between the three options? my guess would be from firm to soft might be something like Caprice-G8-SS. thanks!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: stock vs SS vs G8 springs

Post by Navy Lifer »

As with many posts, the term "Camaro wheels" creates a list of questions or assumptions that need to be answered before a proper response can be offered.

18", 19", 20"?

What year - Gen5 (2010-2015) or Gen 6 (2016>newer)?

Tire size(s) in use?

I do not assume the G8 springs differ much in ride height or rate vs SS springs - it's the availability of SS springs, for the most part, both new or take-offs, that has made them popular on PPV.

The difference in ride height is about 3/4" (lower) with SS springs. Wheel options & tire size DO matter at the rear.

Personal preference is always part of the calculation - since we don't know which Camaro wheels you have, specifically, there are several ways to go with the situation you are dealing with.
119C3NJ

Re: stock vs SS vs G8 springs

Post by 119C3NJ »

I have a set of stock springs in NJ if that helps you.
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black