Springs and Strut Mount install

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
lastcall190

Springs and Strut Mount install

Post by lastcall190 »

I am trying to install some SS springs on my car, along with Whiteline strut mounts, and take off shocks. I have every component to build the strut OFF the car and install, thought this would make my life easy. I have tried about a dozen times to line up the spring top hat correctly and every time the strut mount sits crooked on the strut shaft. The little "W" is lined up properly, the mount is seated completely onto the top hat... but no luck. Am I missing something painfully obvious?

Are normal lowering springs easier since you don't have to compress them as much? Because that's my next step :lol:

Thanks for the input.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
119C3NJ

Re: Springs and Strut Mount install

Post by 119C3NJ »

The 2017 SS spring I used on my 2011 struts have a different number of turns in the coil and had a narrower coil wire diameter. they had the same free height so I didn't pay attention to how the springs were clocked to the mount and the body of strut. I bet that is you problem too. Line up the top how it use to be dont worry about the bottom orientation. I think that was the problem. it was about 3/4 less of a turn so that's why it pitched the top differently
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Gotcha, that helps. So basically make sure the strut mount is straight on the strut shaft, regardless of where that little W notch is? Or line up the top as it should be, and ignore how wonky the bottom might look?

Thanks for the reply.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Put the fronts in today, no issues. Still have a clunk which at this point I am guessing has to be steering related. When I pulled the stock units out, it all made 100% sense, as others had said it would. I assembled them off the car, and due to that, I was done with both sides in under an hour.

If not for the clunk, the car drives VERY nicely. Whiteline mounts, new washers, rubber insulators, 2015 SS springs.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Took out another siren that had not been removed when I de-cop'd the whole car. That actually seems to have helped a fair bit of the noise up front, but there is still some rattling... it's not super easy to replicate, barely happened over the cobblestones in the adjacent neighborhood, but when I was rolling up my driveway, I heard it faintly. I don't care I suppose, everything up front is new save for the rack and steering shaft. Car rides much sportier now.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Had a much longer drive today, car rides real nice and the stance is great. Way less noise up front too.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Driving it more and noticed the sound isn't really any less. But I have a difficult time recreating it:

When I hit potholes or manhole covers, there is almost no noise. When the road has a wave where the front suspension just modulates one wheel at a time, so to speak, I get a nice clunk. I have disconnected the sway bar and driven around the neighborhood with no change, to eliminate it being the sway links. Everything up front save for the steering rack/shaft is new. I timed the bushings and followed correct torque procedures. I am kind of at a loss. I hit the brakes and the noise doesn't diminish so I don't believe it's brake related. Car tracks well, no shake, and over actual imperfections in the road, is almost silent. Any ideas?

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI