Excessive vibration on front suspension at higher speeds

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
drummerdaddy

Excessive vibration on front suspension at higher speeds

Post by drummerdaddy »

My 2013 caprice with 6.0 and 117k miles had the driver side wheel that moved rearward by 1 inch when the breaks were applied. The steering wheel vibrated excessively at speeds above 40 mph and got worse when driving over bumps. I replace the left side lower suspension link hoping the excessive vibration and linear movement were solved. The linear movement is resolved but the excessive vibration at higher speeds above 60 vibrate the steering wheel still a bit violently...same as before the control arm was replaced. When I hit a bump, it sounds like the whole front end is loose and the steering wheel vibrates CW and CCW. I would be grateful for any suggestions on what to check, tighten. Anyone else have an issue like this? Thank you for your time to read and reply.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Excessive vibration on front suspension at higher speeds

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Get the wheel on a good balancer and check it for bends and broken belts in the tire. Also, check the steering rack mounts. The rack itself could be damaged, but can’t hurt to get the alignment checked. Basically, everything.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
drummerdaddy

Post by drummerdaddy »

very good. thanks for the advice. I had wheels balanced but i may have to go to another shop and validate their work. checking the steering rack is a good suggestion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

This was not written for or ever listed as applicable to PPV, but it's a place to start--the same condition(s) can exist, but the information in the bulletin would generally be updated into the Service Information (SI) for later models with potential to have similar issues, considering it's the same platform:

https://www.g8board.com/forums/3610538-post12.html

The bulletin itself is fairly lengthy and detailed--visit a dealer and see if you can get them to run off a copy for you.
drummerdaddy

Post by drummerdaddy »

hello Navy Lifer.
wow! thanks so much. I know I have to look at everything. I suspect that the steel wheels are a major source of vibration. there is so much rotational mass in the wheel assembly. it's my guess but I would like to complete the engineering to know what I'm dealing with. every time the wheel hits a rut, the entire front suspension gets excited and resonates. I'm sure there are worn parts but long term I need to get to a lower mass aluminum wheel.
have a great day!
rick