Brake question

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
cerbomark

Brake question

Post by cerbomark »

Question on brakes on a 2016 with 30K+ miles.
Bought car, checked brakes and found fronts worn down (pads) and backs looked fine. Put a set of aftermarket pads on front.
After driving it a few thousand miles here is what I notice. (I changed pads right after I bought car so not much time on the old setup).
What I notice is that when the brakes get wet either from washing or driving in the rain/salt the first pedal brake use is very diminished until it dries off on the first pedal push. I am aware of what wet brake are about but seems excessive on this car.
I also notice that upon startup when idle is high, this car on snow/ice can lock up the fronts and still feel the rear wheels lack of brake application(esp in reverse). So very front bias?
Any easy way to get some more pressure in the rear brakes?
FYI, I will do a brake flush in the spring when I change tires. I do not plan on changing any pads, rotors until these pad wear down.
Thanks.
2016 C1
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Brake question

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've been trying to figure out a way to respond to this....

Questions in response:
1. Were any of the symptoms described present before changing front pads?

2. What aftermarket (front) pads are on the car now?

3. You may not know this--what pads are on the rear (still original)?

My main observation/point is that the car has a non-standard (no longer OE spec) brake friction setup. There's no real way to know how this impacts overall brake performance, whether the combination may be better, or not (ie. worse).

The only way you might gain rear bias is to increase rotor diameter or caliper piston size. The front/rear proportioning is managed electronically, if I'm not mistaken.
cerbomark

Re: Brake question

Post by cerbomark »

Thanks, not looking to do brake mods as maybe I am just sensitive to what the brakes are doing.
1. Not sure when symptoms became noticeable I had put front pads on right after I got the car and there was no snow on the ground.
2. Pad are a NAPA brand. I think guy said that it a Camero or CVT pad, not sure.
3. Rear are still looking fine and not sure at 37K if they are original.

I have never worried about a pad being OEM or not on dozens of brake jobs. Its fine once the ground/brakes are dry and the idle has dropped after warmup. If you stomp on them , they do stop well. Just feel weird to me. Someone mentioned that could be the way some post rear cars feel ?
It s funny that I just saw a brand new F150 next to me in the snow and when he was moving around parking I saw his front locked and rears still rolling at times?
OCD, LOL? Thanks.
If I have the car at the next brake job time I plan on changing brakes and rotors all the way around.
2016 C1