Front end clunk: Steering rack or control arm poly bushings?

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Arizona9C3

Front end clunk: Steering rack or control arm poly bushings?

Post by Arizona9C3 »

Front end clunk on short sharp bumps or even hard quick on-off brake application (especially at lower speeds) in 2011 stock 9C3 with 55K miles (never in patrol use):

It was time for brakes so I first I changed rotors and pads and verified all correct thread locker and torque specs. Same clunk.

I've changed struts (2012 AC Delco) and poly strut bushings with new bearings (SuperPro SPF1590AK), Moog problem solver greaseable end links, but still chasing the same clunk which first developed about 3,000 miles ago.

Now I'm replacing control arms but can't find any replacements with poly bushings. Simply putting poly bushings in my current front control arms would leave me with the same ball joints, and since I'm basically replacing the whole front suspension, it seems foolish to keep the same ball joints. Does anyone have any suggestions for best front control arms and/or bushings?

I've found BMR poly bushings, BK008, for the G8 steering rack, which I assume will work. Does anyone know if they fit or have any other suggestions?

This car is not driven hard at all, just ten minute school runs around town or long road trip cruises, never any autocross or the like, so no need for super stuff suspension. But have to eliminate the dreaded clunk!
2011 Silver 9C3
2011 Black 9C3 Procharged, custom exhaust, 571 rwhp
lastcall190

Re: Front end clunk: Steering rack or control arm poly bushi

Post by lastcall190 »

I have found my sway bar is moving around with a fair bit of movement... my next step is sway bar bushings. Not sure if it's your issue, but your problem you are describing sounds very similar to mine. If you already replaced those, disregard this.

Good luck and let us know what you find..

-J

EDIT: I didn't answer a single question you asked... sorry about that :lol:
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

had a similar noise it was the sway bar links
paul54

Post by paul54 »

It was the sway bar links on mine too.
Black6

Post by Black6 »

My 14 has the same rattle when going over bumps. When I had it in the air I couldn’t find anything loose though. I’m going to probably do end links based on your guys comments. I’ll report back.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
Cumminsmannow

Post by Cumminsmannow »

I was able to narrow mine down to the control arm bushings by having my wife operate the car while i watched on a creeper next to each front wheel. With her foot on the brake go from reverse to drive, and when the car pushed forward and backward with the brake applied I could watch the tire rock back and forth about 2 inches.
2012 caprice 9c1
2017 jku
2004 gr prix dd/beater
xcidmigs

Re: Front end clunk: Steering rack or control arm poly bushings?

Post by xcidmigs »

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but my car started making a clunking when going from P to R etc only at super low speeds. I have only 33k miles although our roads here are complete garbage, I have 19" wheels and I tend to drive it like I stole it...

Found Moog makes a really GREAT replacement/upgrade sway bar end links... The diameter of the stock used is larger and there is grease fittings on both ends. The first one i removed clearly has lost something internally, very loose compared to the Moogs, will report later after the other side arrives and goes on but i can't believe the noise will be there still...

MOOG K750626/5 Runs around $16 Amazon etc...
20200112_171216.jpg
20200112_171216.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 9550 times
20200112_171207.jpg
20200112_171207.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 9550 times
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

links on mine too, did them 1 1/2 years ago and i have to change them again, bought Moog the first and now bought Delco's second issue with Moog products, stick with Delco
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The strut bushings are a common noise point, even with low mileage. Whiteline bushings are a great upgrade.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Arizona9C3

Post by Arizona9C3 »

Sorry for not coming back — I thought that I had posted pics of the worn bushings. I was frustrated after changing end links and strut bearings and darn near everything that I STILL had a clunk. Argghh! I went through and triple-checked torque on everything and found that one knuckle to strut bolt was not quite as tight as it was supposed to be: that finally cured all noise - yay!
2011 Silver 9C3
2011 Black 9C3 Procharged, custom exhaust, 571 rwhp