Brembo brake conversion Chapter 37

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Black6

Re: Brembo brake conversion Chapter 37

Post by Black6 »

No. You are correct. I got them switched. Edited now. Thank you.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Myself and plenty of others have used factory Caprice PPV bolts to install Brembos as they are not TTY.... I assure you most Fleet Garages are not going to be replacing these bolts on standard brake pad replacement work
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Black6 wrote:I think it’s important to point out that there are differences on the 2007-2013 (WM) and the 2014–2017 (WN) cars suspension though.

WN cars have different suspension and are more akin to the VF (Chevrolet SS) suspension and the WM cars are more akin to the VE (G8) suspension. Whether that changes brake information I’m not sure. But I just want to point that out that someone with a WN car doesn’t see this WM information and say “hey this didn’t work.”

I am currently working on getting brakes on my WN. So hopefully soon I can do this swap and not have too many issues and report back. Last thing I’m currently needing is brembo bolts (bolting calipers to the car, just to be clear) for my calipers. Once I have those (I have full take off calipers and rotors, brake line bolts and Bills lines) I should be good to go once I get these bolts.
Black6, you don't specify the source of your take-off calipers, so the bolts will be either 12mm or 14mm. What are they take-offs from?

The WM is a bit of a transitional platform, compared to VE > VF. Example--after 2011, the rear aluminum upper control arms first were used on WM before the debut of VF/WN in MY14 (for North America)....the VE>VF and WM>WN changes for Holden-badged cars really started happening in 2013, whether they were called 2014 cars or not....not sure how the Australian VIN vs specs transition worked, but it didn't seem to be tied to "model year", as it is here.

We have talked about some of the platform differences, as far as undercar in other threads here. VF/WN front knuckles can't be used on VE/WM--at least without some other component changes. VF (SS) rear sway bars won't work on WM/WN without modifying the mounting plates on the rear cradle/crossmember, and changing OR modifying rear lower control arms. Depending on sway bar used, that could even include having to convert to Brembo (fixed calipers) in the rear.
xcidmigs wrote:Myself and plenty of others have used factory Caprice PPV bolts to install Brembos as they are not TTY.... I assure you most Fleet Garages are not going to be replacing these bolts on standard brake pad replacement work
I recall my front brakes were installed using the production PPV bolts. I think the "issue" with replacing the bolts (probably says to in SI (Service Information) is that the use of thread locker is important, although torque is a BIG number, even if it's not published--specs say tighten to 30 lb/ft +90 degrees. Since the torque is being applied to an aluminum casting, thread condition, thread locker, and proper procedure is "kind of" important. Some newer Brembo calipers, like the Alpha Camaro/345 PPV front rotor setup, MAY have threaded steel inserts in the caliper body. If re-using the original bolts, just be sure to use an appropriate thread locking compound.
small clamp as found on PPV, large clamp as found on SS (for rear sway bar)
small clamp as found on PPV, large clamp as found on SS (for rear sway bar)
bar clamp comparison1.JPG (33.09 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Comparison of OE 16mm rear bar & link (2011 PPV) and 15-17 SS 25mm rear bar & link
Comparison of OE 16mm rear bar & link (2011 PPV) and 15-17 SS 25mm rear bar & link
PPV bar 2.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Plate needed to mount larger rear bar from SS sedan - weld-on (not final configuration)
Plate needed to mount larger rear bar from SS sedan - weld-on (not final configuration)
plates with clamp.JPG (35.97 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Black6

Post by Black6 »

xcidmigs wrote:Myself and plenty of others have used factory Caprice PPV bolts to install Brembos as they are not TTY.... I assure you most Fleet Garages are not going to be replacing these bolts on standard brake pad replacement work
Rear brake bolts are not the same, they do not thread into the caliper.

I am using camaro 5 brembos for all 4 corners.

FYI my WN has a place for 2 bolt swaybar larger clamp, but only uses one hole.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.