Brembo front calipers using 345mm PPV rotors

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Brembo front calipers using 345mm PPV rotors

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, that has not been validated--the guy in Minnesota used the hoses that came with the brake kit, since his stock hoses would not (apparently) work. It had to do with the alignment block on the end of the hose at the back of the caliper. The hoses in the GM caliper/rotor kit are NOT made for the PPV, I can tell you for sure, even though he made them work.

If the Techna-Fit front hoses don't work, I'm sure it will be easy/simple to come up with a correct configuration. T-F is very easy to work with.

Click on arrows on photo to see back side of caliper - shows the alignment block - the round banjo on the T-F hose would not be restricted by that.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 47&jsn=647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Getting that big lump of cast iron off each spindle is very attractive.
Weight difference I measured between front Caprice caliper with worn rotor and Camaro Brembo caliper with new rotor was 3.7 pounds.

I was in a rush and did not bother to expand the old caliper to get it off the worn rotor lip so I measured each as a set.
Last edited by SSpeedracer on Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Caprice
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Navy Lifer wrote:Gene, that has not been validated--the guy in Minnesota used the hoses that came with the brake kit, since his stock hoses would not (apparently) work. It had to do with the alignment block on the end of the hose at the back of the caliper. The hoses in the GM caliper/rotor kit are NOT made for the PPV, I can tell you for sure, even though he made them work.

If the Techna-Fit front hoses don't work, I'm sure it will be easy/simple to come up with a correct configuration. T-F is very easy to work with.

Click on arrows on photo to see back side of caliper - shows the alignment block - the round banjo on the T-F hose would not be restricted by that.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 47&jsn=647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Camaro hose (kit) could be modified to work, but its more trouble than its worth. The strut bracket could be drilled with a through hole and the middle camaro hose bracket attached with a fastener rather easily. However, the hose to brake tube fitting would require a custom bracket or perhaps a bracket cut off from a camaro. I hope no idiots simply attach the hose to steel tube and not use any stress relief bracket.

The Caprice hose works without any modification. The only drawback is that the caliper tab at banjo bolt necessitates the brake hose points inward instead of up (or down) and the brake hose makes an "S" route between strut bracket and caliper.

The tab can easily be ground off and hose clocked upwards if air pockets are a concern. The "S" route, albeit tight and not ideal, does not flex or move because the caliper to strut location is static.
2016 Caprice
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

With your post in the other caliper thread, and in your responses to this thread, it still requires clarification as to whether the take-off calipers (and hoses?) came from a 2016 or newer Camaro SS, which uses a 345mm rotor--and that you are still using original size/spec PPV front rotors with the new caliper setup. Is this correct?

My point is, if you state that you're using Camaro SS calipers, it matters now because Gen5 (2010-2015) SS Brembo is a different package than Gen6 (2016 & newer) SS Brembo. Gen5 is 355mm rotor, and Gen6 is 345mm rotor, and they are not interchangeable--but a hybrid combination of PPV rotor and Gen6 caliper bolts on to PPV & G8, with 18" wheels.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Navy Lifer wrote:... PPV rotor and Gen6 caliper bolts on to PPV & G8, with 18" wheels.
Yep, this is what I've got, including the 18" camaro rims.
2016 Caprice
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

So in the very near future I plan on ordering the Brembo package (23245470) located here:

https://www.chevypartshq.com/oem-parts/ ... origin=pla

I have the stock steel wheels and 345 rotors. My understanding is that the banjo bolts that come with the kit will work with the calipers.

Is there anything preventing this from being straight bolt on? Should I contact technafit and order their brake kit or should I look at the Russell kit for the G8?

Do I need those centric brackets cited elsewhere?

Any other information I should know?
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Fudgehog wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 am So in the very near future I plan on ordering the Brembo package (23245470) located here:

https://www.chevypartshq.com/oem-parts/ ... origin=pla

I have the stock steel wheels and 345 rotors. My understanding is that the banjo bolts that come with the kit will work with the calipers.

Is there anything preventing this from being straight bolt on? Should I contact technafit and order their brake kit or should I look at the Russell kit for the G8?

Do I need those centric brackets cited elsewhere?

Any other information I should know?
Banjo bolts from the kit will work fine--the banjo bolts on the car now are different thread and will not work with Brembo--all GM aluminum calipers (Brembo & PBR) use M10x1.0 thread.

The OE hoses (on the car now) should bolt right up, but the hoses in the Chevy Performance Parts kit are specifically for Alpha/Camaro and are useless for this purpose. The Russell kit for G8 is a big NO...wrong flare configuration on the hard-line ends.

The TechnaFit option will require brackets, whether modifying the existing brackets on the car now--buying the Centric or other replacement (OEM equivalent/rubber) hoses means you take them apart & throw away the hose just to get the bracket (L & R are mirror image), or I can supply a pair as I have done with others, on an exchange basis, for a small fee for the modification + shipping.

The other option is to buy the Goodridge kit for PPV or SS, which includes brackets, but costs a bit more, partly because it does include the brackets.

As for any other info--if you go with either aftermarket hose kit, they both also include banjo bolts and crush washers--typically I find the OEM parts are more robust, and if the option is to be able to use the GM-supplied banjo, I recommend it.

PN's for the hose kits:
TechnaFit CHEV4500 - is available in a range of colors for the vinyl sheath that protects the stainless braid--check the website for details.
TechnaFit - Forum link: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2236

Goodridge 23225 (PPV) or 23226 (SS) - not sure if 23225 will have extra front banjo bolts in correct thread for Brembo changeover, but either kit works.
Goodridge - Forum link: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3099

The GM caliper/rotor kit you are planning to order does include rotors, but PLEASE (for anyone reading this) understand that these rotors are NOT useable for the PPV--they fit only the Alpha/Camaro or ATS/CTS/CT6 front suspension. So, unless you find a buyer for the rotors in the kit, they are going to make nice door stops.

The GM caliper/rotor kit also includes new M14 mounting bolts for the caliper (to front knuckle) - these are for the Alpha chassis, so you will need to get standard replacement spec bolts from PPV. The bolts in the kit are too long, I recall--they could be shortened, but try the original bolts first to confirm length.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks so much Bill, great information laid out and easy to follow. How much would your brackets be? I recall off the top of my head I might have damaged a bracket if they are the ones right on top the knuckle.

I understand those rotors won't work. I'm sure I could reuse stock caliper mounting bolts correct? That's what you were implying at least I think.

I emailed technafit and they confirmed the price is still 99.00. Thanks Bill.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Technically the caliper mounting bolts are not "supposed" to be re-used. Use once and discard. Torque To Yield is a little confusing, but no matter what it's called, the SI (Service Info) says use new. Torque is 30lb-ft PLUS 90 degrees of further rotation. New bolts also come with thread locker pre-applied.

My brackets are $15 all in (and you return core brackets)--they may be new or used, as I recycle cores and in some cases someone sends me new replacement as cores, so they are luck of the draw as far as what I have on hand to ship. I try to bead blast any used that may be corroded, ready to paint. Normally, new, they are plated. Norther climate attacks that finish quickly!
bracket2.JPG
bracket2.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
brake hose brackets2.JPG
brake hose brackets2.JPG (47.6 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
hose brackets unmodified.JPG
hose brackets unmodified.JPG (41.3 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
Techna-Fit hose kit with PN.JPG
Techna-Fit hose kit with PN.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
PPV brake hoses.JPG
PPV brake hoses.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
PPV RF new bracket and hose.JPG
PPV RF new bracket and hose.JPG (38.86 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
Goodridge kits.JPG
Goodridge kits.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Okay, I can order some new mounting bolts through my dealer as long as the stock ones will indeed work.

I will probably get those brackets from you, I haven't ordered the Brembo kit yet but when I'm closer to, you will definitely hear from me.

Thanks again.

Active Duty USAF