Soften Up the Ride

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Jifa1322

Soften Up the Ride

Post by Jifa1322 »

2011 Caprice 9C3. 'Came' with Coil/Overs. They were too stiff for my taste. Ordered complete new suspension for a 2011 Caprice PPV/9C3 LS2 V8. It's not quite as 'bad/bumpy' as the coil-overs, but it's close. I'd like to 'relieve' it even more...little 'softer' ride. I rode in a 2015 PPV 6-cylinder. Rode really nice. Anybody know if that suspension is a direct swap for the 2011? Not looking for a Cadillac but an Impala would be nice. How about 'ratings' on springs and shocks on 'stock' parts...that could be helpful as well. I'm pretty much a novice at this. That said, THANKS!!, in advance for any information ANYONE can provide. Site's been very helpful so far...engine upgrades, headers and complete 4-piston BRAKE upgrade/conversion. THANKS to everyone!!
Fudgehog

Re: Soften Up the Ride

Post by Fudgehog »

Others will know more than I do, however the general consensus is that the rubber bushings tend to harden over time on top of the struts and people often go for urethane bushings from Whiteline or others. If I'm correct, all of the strut and spring systems for the G8 fit the PPV, but since our cars naturally sit high expect some lowering unless you use stock springs. SS springs also work, I remember seeing a thread of a user using the SS springs and it lowering the front around an inch and the rear and inch and a half. Good luck.

Koni is higher end price-wise for struts.
Pedders makes springs - super low and slightly lowered.

You can also check out G8only.com they have a pretty good selection but don't give part numbers or much detail.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The '12 front struts were more compliant than the '11 struts. I swapped my 11 9C3 to the '12 struts and SS springs here.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

I’m about to finally lower my 2011 9C3 and have been debating on what to do. I planned to get some Eibach aftermarket springs rather than stock. The two choices I thought I had was 2009 G8 or 2017 SS springs. If stock GM SS springs lower the car 1 to 1.5 inches and the Eibach lowers an SS by as much, does that mean my 9C3 could see a 2 to 3 inch drop with the Eibach SS springs? Will they even work with the existing struts?

I want to get the car down, but only want to swap springs. Any data/advice?
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

In my application and diligent measurements, the SS springs only dropped the car 3/4" at all four corners.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

My Diligent measuring shows the Eibachs for the G8 lower each corner of the PPV 1.25 inches.

For a softer ride I went with the FE2 G8 struts. THese things are super giving. YOu extend the piston and it will fall back in to the strut just from gravity. The 11 strut I had to use all my force to compress it. I fear though too giving as I think I have heard me hitting my bump stops a few times.

THe G8 FE3 strut line is their sport version and some guys are upgrading to PPV's for even more sportier ride. So even the FE3 from the G8 should be an improvement.

Basically anything you change on the the 11's will improve things. They are diving boards from the factory.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Okay, this is very helpful info. I really don’t mind the ride too much. I compare it to my old T/A which I had set up pretty stiff for SCAA adventures. I just want the drop and want to maintain safe function without swapping struts if I don’t have to. Is it safe to say the only difference between Eibach’s two choices is resulting ride height?

Maurice,. Are those the stock SS springs that dropped you 3/4”? If yes then I still think the Eibach SS springs would yield the most drop. The Eibach website states their springs drop the stock SS 1.2” & 1.3”, front and rear. That’s about 2” total with my math if you’re using GM’s springs. Getting only 3/4” closer to the ground with Eibach’s SS springs would disappoint me and will go with the G8 Eibach springs.

The G8 and SS springs are two different part numbers (and prices) and I wrote Eibach (twice now) asking how each would work on my car and have not received a response. I should have known to ask here first. Whatever I do, I’ll take dillegent measurements and report back with results, providing you guys tell me the procedure.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I also got about 3/4" max drop using the SS OEM spring on my 2011, I don't think you will get much more than the advertised drop on the Eibachs but would seem like the best thing for you considering what you request. The PPV struts are also key to the ride softness maybe more so than the springs on bad pavement. I suggest changing those out whatever spring you use.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Dave,

I also urge you to reconsider the decision to keep your 2011 front struts. I'm curious how much you drive your PPV, and what mileage is on it.

The original 2011 struts were so harsh that they were removed from the parts catalog--the only service replacement from GM for 2011-2013 PPv is the revised version, which works very well. The GM struts & shocks are made in Australia by Monroe.

Rock Auto - 98.89 each before 5% discount
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 73&jsn=421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 73&jsn=422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM Parts Direct - 92263478/92263479 $89.60 each
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... eWVyXzE%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... eWVyXzE%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also listed at Rock Auto, Monroe offers their "Severe Service" version of these parts at a lower price--may or may not be the "exact" same valving as the GM parts, but they are also running a rebate currently, which is worth $80 for 2 struts & 2 shocks. Rebate ends in 2 days, FWIW.

No matter how many miles on your PPV, the amount of work to change springs, and to not be prepared to change struts and strut mounts is potentially an exercise in futility--the cost to R&R the springs is the same as it will be to swap in new struts that are known to have improved valving compared to what was installed on 2011's, and having a set of top mounts on hand, at least, is highly recommended, since the mounts are known to collapse easily, and the lower bearing (like a Torrington thrust bearing) is pretty fragile.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

This is a good deal, however are stock.

https://paceperformance.com/i-23851084- ... ckage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF