Steering rack recall

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
ls6-m22

Steering rack recall

Post by ls6-m22 »

I just bought a 2014 PPV and noticed there was an open recall on my car. Now the car runs perfect and tracks perfect so I figured I'd bring it in to have the recall done. Well low and behold I'm not getting away with this recall without paying something out of pocket. The service writer says I need an alignment and eccentric kit and that the new rack only effects toe in. He said they set toe in with the recall but says my camber was off and wants to charge me $160 for an alignment and eccentric kit. Does this sound right?
s/c'd cav

Re: Steering rack recall

Post by s/c'd cav »

NO !!! for the alignment

now if it needs extra parts , then the labor and part are a different story
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That dealership is trolling for $$, IMHO. Sounds like the kind of place you'd take it to for an alignment after replacing the ball joints, and they'd call telling you you need to replace the ball joints!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Tell them you will be finding another dealership. Under no circumstance take your car to that dealership. They are trying to get paid by GM and then paid by you also.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Have them set the toe and make sure the steering wheel is also lined up correctly, there are many cases where that isn't done. They have GM paying for that part, then beat feet. If you have no weird tire wear or other handling issues I would just leave it alone until you decide you are doing some new springs/ struts or other parts that effect any of the adjustments, you should not need an eccentric kit until its lowered. Tell them exactly that, "I'm going to lower it myself, I'll be bringing it back in a month" Should get them motivated to treat you right.