installing 2014 or 2015-2017 SS rear sway bar on the PPV

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
s/c'd cav

Re: installing 2015-2017 SS rear sway bar on the PPV

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I could not figure out how those brackets went in without a lot of work, and probably some grinding on the brackets. So I installed the swaybar and links without them. We've had no issues with the kit, though, and have actually autocrossed the car a couple of times. Sure, it's with the street tires, but the track has a pretty aggressive surface, so we did get some decent action out of the suspension. No issues. Well, maybe one issue; the links are pretty cheap. When we went in to install the coil-overs, I had to undo the sway bar links so we could drop the LCA low enough to get the shock in place. One of the rubber boots on each link was coming apart (not the same boot, either). Since we don't live in a place where they use salt much, and if they're using salt, I'm staying home(!), I figured I'd worry about that when we install the ZL1 LCAs.
have you not look at their instruction page for them ? they are pretty easy , just need to drill 2 holes

their plate goes under the stock plate to reinforce the stock bracket
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Gene are you using the BMR 22mm bar with their version of the links on a stock PPV arm or something else?

I have the 1LE arms on the car now and they already have a heavier mounting piece for the inner sway bar link setup if you look at both side by side you can see the difference of how those tabs are shaped and attached to the main arm body. I'm thinking that the cheap/easy solution may be to use the 14SS bar with the stock ppv links on the 1LE arms and just see what happens?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Here's a couple of photos of the stock PPV 16mm rear stabilizer bar & links and the 15-17 SS rear stabilizer bar (~25mm) & link. I just wanted to show how they're different, and the difference in bar diameter.

Though I don't have a picture, the thing to understand is that the 2014 SS rear bar was shaped like the PPV bar, but it's 28mm diameter. The 2015-2017 bar may be smaller, diameter but it's effectiveness is no less than the 28mm bar, without the link problems.

The challenge for the moment is the GM parts system having any inventory of the 15-17 SS bars--front or rear--but they're coming, based on what my local parts department found through contact with GM Service Parts.

I anticipate installing the new rear bar next week--more photos to follow.
PPV bar1.JPG
PPV bar1.JPG (49.15 KiB) Viewed 11999 times
PPV bar 2.JPG
PPV bar 2.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 11999 times
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

UPDATE - new rear sway bar installed!!!

Post by Navy Lifer »

A little commentary, and then a bunch of pictures.

I had been waiting for the right opportunity to have the brackets welded on--being sure I had the right shop do it was first on my list. Atlanta is a big place, but I was looking for a shop that does fabrication work on cars, has lifts, etc. I had gotten to know Sam Mahdavi of Mahdavi Motorsports in Lilburn GA--he also does radio & TV work with Sam Memmolo...the "Sam's Garage" guys. Sam was completely amenable and knew he and his guys could handle this job without breaking a sweat.

http://mahdavimotorsports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also need to thank Mike Avery, the machinist/fabricator who created the brackets, and Dan "Super Tech" Malkowski at Bill Holt Chevrolet in Canton GA for his invaluable assistance and patience for several rounds on a lift, test fitting the brackets and allowing me time and access to take photos earlier in this process.

As far as the results, the car now is much more responsive, with much better turn-in--steering wheel inputs and transitions are much more balanced/neutral compared to the stock front/rear bar.

In this case, I have yet to change the front bar (from 24mm to 26mm), as I wanted to experience the changes one at a time. I may or may not change the front bar in the future.

Some have expressed interest in having the brackets like I used for this installation--I am having the fab shop make 6 sets of the brackets, which can be used on both PPV & G8. I'll post something to let everyone know when these brackets are available.

Any questions generated from this post/pictures, don't hesitate to ask!

Now to the pictures--I'll be adding remarks to each photo.
First photo in series--car on lift, stock rear bar already removed.  For access to the stock bar mounts, the exhaust system needed to be dropped (not removed) at the rear, and the muffler heat shields were unbolted to make it easier to get a grinder into the areas to prep for welding.
First photo in series--car on lift, stock rear bar already removed. For access to the stock bar mounts, the exhaust system needed to be dropped (not removed) at the rear, and the muffler heat shields were unbolted to make it easier to get a grinder into the areas to prep for welding.
bar install1.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Photo shows original bar bushing/clamp pad on crossmember/cradle prepared for welding, using a disc grinder, to remove paint.  Perhaps not completely necessary, but not a concern here in GA--it could be something to give more thought to in other parts of the country.
Photo shows original bar bushing/clamp pad on crossmember/cradle prepared for welding, using a disc grinder, to remove paint. Perhaps not completely necessary, but not a concern here in GA--it could be something to give more thought to in other parts of the country.
bar install2.JPG (44.53 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Left side bracket in mock-up to determine correct position vertically.  Note that the top hole in the bracket is slotted, and it was moved up about 3/8" from the original holes, which were made based on the clamps used with the new bar.  The upper bolt is the original bolt that holds the stock PPV bushing clamp/bracket in place.  The lower bolt is larger, as specified for the 2-bolt clamp setup found on the SS sedan.
Left side bracket in mock-up to determine correct position vertically. Note that the top hole in the bracket is slotted, and it was moved up about 3/8" from the original holes, which were made based on the clamps used with the new bar. The upper bolt is the original bolt that holds the stock PPV bushing clamp/bracket in place. The lower bolt is larger, as specified for the 2-bolt clamp setup found on the SS sedan.
bar install4.JPG (41.88 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Welding was along each side and through 2 holes drilled in the bracket.
Welding was along each side and through 2 holes drilled in the bracket.
bar install6.JPG (40.9 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Another view showing welding - this is left side bracket.
Another view showing welding - this is left side bracket.
bar install9.JPG (39 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Final prep before paint included grinding the rosette (plug) welds flat--this is where the new sway bar bushing will rest, so it's important for the surface to be flat.
Final prep before paint included grinding the rosette (plug) welds flat--this is where the new sway bar bushing will rest, so it's important for the surface to be flat.
bar install11.JPG (37.32 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Paint after welding--this is right (passenger) side bracket.
Paint after welding--this is right (passenger) side bracket.
bar install12.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Bar and clamp installed--right side shown.
Bar and clamp installed--right side shown.
bar install15.JPG (44.5 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Sway bar end link (GM part) is a simple 3-piece design.  Link connects to lower control arm just inside of the rear wheel--requires the 1LE Camaro or 15-17 SS control arms.
Sway bar end link (GM part) is a simple 3-piece design. Link connects to lower control arm just inside of the rear wheel--requires the 1LE Camaro or 15-17 SS control arms.
bar install16.JPG (43.44 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Not shown clearly, but the end link (left side) has been installed in this picture.  Routing of the bar behind the shock/spring assembly is clear.
Not shown clearly, but the end link (left side) has been installed in this picture. Routing of the bar behind the shock/spring assembly is clear.
bar install17.JPG (47.84 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Slightly better view--right side--socket & wrench is still in place at top of link.
Slightly better view--right side--socket & wrench is still in place at top of link.
bar install18.JPG (46.8 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
View across car showing offset in center of the SS bar to clear the spare tire well.
View across car showing offset in center of the SS bar to clear the spare tire well.
bar install19.JPG (45.88 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Exhaust system back in place--showing adequate clearance between bushing clamp and exhaust system flange.
Exhaust system back in place--showing adequate clearance between bushing clamp and exhaust system flange.
bar install21.JPG (48.98 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
Close-up side view of clearance between sway bar bushing clamp and exhaust flanges. Remember, exhaust system grows as it heats up, and clearance will increase.
Close-up side view of clearance between sway bar bushing clamp and exhaust flanges. Remember, exhaust system grows as it heats up, and clearance will increase.
bar install23.JPG (37.44 KiB) Viewed 11974 times
close-up view of new bar end link, shows proximity to caliper
close-up view of new bar end link, shows proximity to caliper
bar link1.JPG (52.08 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
picture of the bar, link and control arm, showing relationship.  Both pictures are with suspension fully extended (tire time!), so the normal bar position will be level rather than at the angle shown.
picture of the bar, link and control arm, showing relationship. Both pictures are with suspension fully extended (tire time!), so the normal bar position will be level rather than at the angle shown.
bar link2.JPG (56.72 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Wow Bill again looking great, I am not 100% sure but you did the rear brembo brake upgrade already correct? There isn't a great pic of the outside of the bar where it attaches to the arm to see how the clearance is, Is there a way you can say definitely that the stock rear caliper won't work with the 15 bar?

I still am confused about the different end links required for the use of a 2014SS bar which seems like they are the same style as the OE PPV? I also found that Moog makes this version?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 73&jsn=433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by xcidmigs on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Yes, I need to get a good photo of that and I will soon.

Yes, the Brembo's are already on the car.

Somewhat buried in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2236#p18389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Parts list posted on G8 Board - link is good to view, membership not required

http://www.g8board.com/forums/3536881-post5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

seems like we can't buy the 15 parts though?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:seems like we can't buy the 15 parts though?
At present, this is correct.

I don't know why, unless it's just part of a transition of support for the SS (and PPV) by GMNA--one of the risks of owning what is now an "orphan" import vehicle.

Parts that were sourced from Australia may end up being "unavailable" via GM-H (Holden) due to the cessation of manufacturing, so it requires new contract & new sourcing agreements--whether with original suppliers, or possibly by finding new suppliers, since Holden's operations/capabilities may no longer support many of the parts that originated via the GM-H "sphere" (if you look at wiring harnesses, for example, many parts come from Malaysia). I can tell you that the sway bars, bushings and saddle clamps are/were made in S. Korea, probably from an outside supplier.

The last contact between my local dealer parts department and GM Service Parts indicated that the bar "kit" under the new PN 92457770 should be shipping soon. I am bird-dogging this and will let everyone know when the kit is available.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:Wow Bill again looking great, I am not 100% sure but you did the rear brembo brake upgrade already correct? There isn't a great pic of the outside of the bar where it attaches to the arm to see how the clearance is, Is there a way you can say definitely that the stock rear caliper won't work with the 15 bar?

I still am confused about the different end links required for the use of a 2014SS bar which seems like they are the same style as the OE PPV? I also found that Moog makes this version?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 73&jsn=433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hadn't noticed your added comments--I'll fill in the blanks.

As I think had already been clarified, my PPV already has the rear Brembo's, so I cannot say definitively that the 15-17 bar won't work with PPV OE rear brakes--it's mentioned in several discussions (which it would take a bit of digging to find), and it's backed by a discussion I had with someone I believe knows the facts of the case. The single-piston floating caliper is bulkier on it's inboard side of the rotor--and, as the pads wear, the caliper housing will be moving further inboard.

I (still) haven't gotten the picture of the new bar link in it's installed position.

This picture (post link below) shows the new & old bars & links--the Moog part you posted is the production PPV/G8 configuration. The new bar uses a completely different design--several pictures of it in this thread, but try this first:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =20#p18938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the 2014 SS, the lower control arm, sway bar, and sway bar link are unique, and different from the Moog part you posted. Rock Auto does not list either the 2014 or 2015-2017 rear bar links, which means they're GM-only parts.