anyone now using G8 GT hose kit--please read

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

anyone now using G8 GT hose kit--please read

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm looking for any PPV owners who have upgraded to the braided stainless hoses for G8 GT, whether on the stock brakes or as part of a Brembo conversion/upgrade.

I'm interested in getting my hands on the original front caliper hose brackets, if you still have them. Whether you prefer to sell or donate "for the cause" is up to you. We can buy new hoses for $15 - $20 each which include brackets, so I'm not interested in making it about money, or making money (myself) in the process.

If you donate brackets and want a pair back at some point in the future (due to the fitting configuration mismatch, the G8 GT hoses need to be removed if they're being used now, in all honesty), I will make sure you get a pair.

My only objective here is to create a pool of hose brackets ready to use with the Techna-Fit CHEV-4500 hose kit.

Please let me know--PM or e-mail--if you have a pair and would be willing to give them up.

Thanks!
pcs9449

Re: anyone now using G8 GT hose kit--please read

Post by pcs9449 »

Just ordered a set of Russell's for my 2012 9C1 Bill, am I supposed to reuse the brackets, or will the Russell set just install like a G8 GT? I haven't messed with the brakes on a 9C1 yet, just pad and rotor replacement is all.

If I can just swap the entire set, you can have my old set.

Sean
2012 WSP Alto Gray 9C1 - Stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Sean, I probably bear some responsibility here....several threads have talked about the G8 hose kit, and I even bought into the "they work fine" situation for awhile.

Here's the background: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I strongly encourage you to NOT use the G8 hose kit, as the pressure-joint fitting design is not correct. Sorry to learn that you've already ordered a kit, and hopefully you can return it without consequence. I'm in the same boat, with a kit I hope to sell to a G8 owner.

The Russell G8 kit does come with brackets. The CORRECT hose kit now available from Techna-Fit does not come with brackets, and I'm offering to help anyone who may need a part of brackets on an exchange basis--the available brackets (from the stock hoses or aftermarket replacements) need to be modified by enlarging the hole for the fitting.

For stock hoses, this means destroying the hose and cutting away the fitting itself, or with the aftermarket hoses (from Centric) the hose & fitting comes out simply by removing a retaining clip, leaving the bracket free to modify.
pcs9449

Post by pcs9449 »

Thanks for the info Bill, I requested to cancel the order, if not, I'll just install it on another G8 sometime, it is the same kit that I installed on the wife's G8 GT when I installed Brembos on all fours.

If I order Centric replacement hoses, just for the brackets, those can be modified to work with the Techna-Fit hoses, is what I am reading? Would this be for the fronts only, or fronts and rears?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Sean, you are correct--I have provided the Centric PN's in at least one other thread, but you may find a different source. All are made in China except OE, but the price difference is significant between GM & aftermarket. I typically use Rock Auto for price comparison and sourcing, when I have lead time.

listed for 11 PPV only (cheaper)

listed for 12-17 PPV & 14-17 SS

Visually, there is minimal difference in these parts--the 11 PPV hoses are ~1/2" longer, overall, but that's not enough to matter, and the OE brakes are identical on 11-17 PPV.

Brackets are a front-only situation--rear hoses mount to the body brackets, which are welded to the car, and require no modification. Stock rear hoses mount by removable clips, just as the Techna-Fit hoses do. There is a fitting indexing flat for OE rear hoses, but it plays no part in the situation with the aftermarket kit.

If you expect to have additional G8 customers for brake work, let me send you my Russell G8 kit, and we can settle in the future, once you've installed it.

I would like to have your take-off front brackets (cut off the hoses) once you get your PPV done, if you don't end up using them, but if Russell or Goodridge never respond to this application, you may want to hang on to them for other PPV or SS jobs that may come your way. If you do another G8, I would even like to have those (OE) front brackets, or any you may have laying around now--I suspect they will work, too, but I've never confirmed.

Considering the Russell G8 kit has already been installed on PPV & SS (albeit with a fitting mismatch), it's likely the G8 brackets are good for PPV & SS, too. It just depends what you see come in the door, or what the future for SS & PPV may be for brake upgrades you might end up doing.

All I'm doing is trying to facilitate a quick & easy solution, while making sure the wrong hoses don't end up on these cars. I tried for over 18 months to get Goodridge to support the application, and for a good bit of that time even I was not aware of the fitting problem (with the G8 kits). It took me less than a week with Techna-Fit to get a test set, and 2 weeks total to confirm what TF is now offering works, and they've now made it an item in their catalog.
pcs9449

Post by pcs9449 »

Amazon couldn't cancel the order before they shipped out, so I will have an extra set of G8 Russell hoses. We probably will have more customers, but not a ton.

Will the Russell's you have fit the PPV? I can send you the kit I get.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I have my own kit to get rid of--I'm almost to the point of being able to post "for sale" items on a G8 Forum, so maybe I can find you a buyer.
pcs9449

Post by pcs9449 »

That would be great, thanks Bill!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Difference in G8 & PPV/SS brake hose fitting design - photos

Inverted flare (used on PPV & SS sedan)
fitting1.JPG