2007 CTS-V Front Brembos on the PPV

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
indianajoe

Re: 2007 CTS-V Front Brembos on the PPV

Post by indianajoe »

Navy Lifer wrote:
Which hose kit did you use?
Russel/Edelbrock 6922210 for G8, fit perfect, no complaints at all
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

indianajoe wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:
Bill can you summarize the issue with the brake line connection at the hard line that was found with the SS. Bubble fitting Vs. Flare and what do our PPV's have? Are 11-13 different from 14+?

Have any pic of the fitting on your 11?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Steve and all,

First, I have NOT verified any of the specifics "alleged" by the SS owners who have been doing brake upgrades.

REMARKS DELETED BY AUTHOR SINCE ORIGINALLY POSTED, DETERMINATION WAS THAT G8 USED ISO BUBBLE FLARE PRESSURE JOINTS, AND ALL HOLDEN EXPORT PRODUCTION TO US SINCE USED INVERTED FLARE PRESSURE JOINTS.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

Sorry, but I'm not 100% following you here. Are you talking about those with Caprices upgrading to SS brakes, or some other combination? I thought it was fairly well established now that the G8 brake hoses will work on the 2013 and earlier Caprice when installing the CTS-V brakes? Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, it can be a bit confusing, since we're talking about multiple variants of the same/similar platform.

You are correct that it is "settled" as far as the pre-2014 vehicles--the G8 kits work for the PPV 2011-2013 PPV. I'm not saying the kit is exactly what the manufacturers would have produced, considering that Goodridge lists a different/specific PN for their PPV kit--if one can actually be found and purchased.

I also do not presume that the hose kit suppliers would configure a kit for a non-standard (ie. not as configured for production) setup such as doing the Brembo upgrade to a PPV, but we've learned that there is some "flexibility" in the existing kits, which is good, even though their product lists identify only the vehicle they originally designed the kit for. The hose manufacturers are not going to produce kits for any possible combination that could be employed--we're just lucky that the G8 GT kits happen to work, but the kit won't go into catalogs with a broadened application listing unless or until it's validated on other vehicles, and I don't know if either source would even be interested in doing that.

If I still lived in SoCal, I'd do this myself, but if someone in the Los Angeles area happens to put a Russell 692210 kit on their PPV, with either stock or Brembo calipers, and then approaches Russell (via Edelbrock in Torrance CA), to show them that it DOES work, we're not certain, at this point & based on the initial response I got when I asked, whether they would willingly take any action to add PPV or SS to the listing/coverage, even if it means they would sell more of the 692210 kits. The same would go for Goodridge for some of the Midwest/Indiana/Indianapolis guys. Some of you LA guys weigh-in here, please!

An example of what I'm trying to show is the hose kits for 91-96 Caprice and 94-96 Impala SS--don't have the PN's right off the top of my head, but when you look them up, you won't find "common application" info--the Caprice kit fit the other disc/drum sedans and wagons, and the Impala kit also fits the 9C1 Caprice variant. My point is that these suppliers could be missing sales because they don't know their products actually have more possible fitments than listed in their catalogs.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, that happens all the time. Our 98 Dakota R/T didn't show any AM brake lines, but I did discover that the Dakota R/T and Durango R/T of similar vintage took the same factory brake lines, so I ordered a set for the Durango R/T from Goodridge. They fit like a charm.

FYI, Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies is a Goodridge Dealer, as well as 'Goodridge Technical Center', for whatever that means. I ordered the kit through them, and I think they had to go to Goodridge in Europe to get them. It took a while, but I got them. If you have a P/N, you may call them:

Phone:
Order Toll Free: 1-800-688-6946 (US & Canada)
Local/International Order Line: 1-262-317-1234
Technical Questions: 1-262-317-1200
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

There are several more options to explore on hoses--I'll hold fire on that until a basic discovery process is complete. By that I mean I'm having a hard time with the idea that GM/Holden changed the compression joint specs completely between the VE/WM to VF/WN transition for MY14.

Some further investigation is now underway on this subject--I'm going to compare a 2015-2017 SS rear caliper hose with the same hose used on the PPV. Bottom line will be to hopefully confirm or refute the fitting type conundrum. What is clear is that the PPV uses the same hose (the one I've selected to compare) for all years, which suggests the WM/WN did not change to a different pressure joint spec, even if the SS, new in 2014, did.

One thing I did discover is that for PPV (which I need to confirm is the case for ALL years), all of the brake hard lines are pre-formed and assigned PN's....whether they're still available or not, it's one of those "what spares should I keep" questions, as it's highly unlikely that the companies that do this here (Classic Tube, Inline Tube) will ever produce these lines except as one-off custom--they won't be in their catalog(s). The other interesting twist on this is that the SS has NO pre-formed hard lines--the fittings are identified, and the line (tubing) is bend-to-suit...perhaps as a matter of end of production and limiting inventory requirements, Holden chose not to create more parts to deal with after ceasing production ops.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

indianajoe wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:
Note that there is an extra '2' in the P/N noted above. The actual P/N for this hose set is 692210.

I needed ONE AN cap for another project on the race car, and I had a $50 discount voucher with Summit if I order more than $250 in parts, soooooooo, I went ahead and ordered the hose kit and front rotors for the brake project. Still not ready to execute yet, but the parts pile is getting bigger. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

SLOW DOWN COWBOY

I've finally JUST gathered enough information to go "live" on the hose issue.

I'll be doing a separate post with appropriate title, but the Russell 692210 kit is a No-Go....I have proof that ALL Caprice PPV's are built with inverted-flare brake hose-to-hard line joints, and NOT ISO bubble-flare configuration as found in the Russell G8 kit. I have not, at this point, determined whether the G8 used ISO bubble-flare joints, but at this point I don't really care.

Bottom line--all PPV owners who have done an installation of aftermarket braided stainless/teflon hoses--G8 from Russell, at least, and probably the Goodridge equivalent--now have a mix of inverted flare and ISO bubble joints.....NOT GOOD.

I will be posting pictures and GM PN info as proof. Watch for the post soon.

Follow further discussion here: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 427#p16964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apache63

Post by Apache63 »

I upgraded my brakes on my 2011 Caprice and if you use the Russell Steel Flex Hose kit you'll change the hard lines from flare to bubble connection.
Attachments
IMG_6713.JPG
IMG_6713.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 12412 times