alignment on lowered cars

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
20139c1

alignment on lowered cars

Post by 20139c1 »

Besides new springs is there any thing else needed when lowering one of these new Caprices? Any type of alignment kit?
Raunchtastic

Re: alignment on lowered cars

Post by Raunchtastic »

With the limited wheel-time that I have had on my car since lowering it, I don't think it needs any additional equipment. It probably could benefit from an alignment,but mime was slightly off before, so yourileage may vary
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
kevink

Post by kevink »

Raunchtastic wrote:With the limited wheel-time that I have had on my car since lowering it, I don't think it needs any additional equipment. It probably could benefit from an alignment,but mime was slightly off before, so yourileage may vary
Really? My car got much more unresponsive and sloppy after lowering which is due to being misaligned. Actually, the responsiveness of the steering is what most impressed me about the car before I lowered it. My car only has 5K on it, so if your car has a lot more miles on it than that you may not know how good it can be. Lowering a car an inch or two is a big deal and always requires an alignment.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

My car was just over 110k on factory shocks. They were a bit soft, so I will have to replace them sooner than later. I noticed a huge jump in steering feel and responsiveness by putting on decent tires, as it came with worn out snow tires. I would think even just having new shocks would surprise me.

Back on topic: don't get me wrong, it would certainly benefit from an alignment. I just mean to say that it is not in drivable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, I'm wondering myself. I have a friend who competitively autocrosses a 5th Gen Camaro 1LE, and I'm waiting to catch him at our next event to ask him if he did any special alignment on his car. I'm thinking the Caprice could be pretty much the same.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
20139c1

Post by 20139c1 »

I just put H&R springs in my 2013 (pictures soon) and there was no problem with getting it back to factory specs. It was definitly out of spec when it went in for the alignment but there is enough adjustment to set it right. The springs set the car down 2". Both Eibach and BMR sell a camed bolt for the rear arm if you are going lower but not needed with the 2" drop.
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

I used to autocross my 2000 TA. I always ran with about 1.5 degrees of negative camber, 0 toe and all of the positive caster that I could get. Keep in mind that stock alignment keeps your tire almost completely flat while going straight. When you hit the corners hard and your suspension flexes you start riding closer to the outer edge of your tires. You want to be flat on the corners for the best traction. Not sure about the Caprice yet. I plan on auto crossing it next yr. I am still trying to decide what tires I am going to run and I need to take it up to a friend of mine so we can figure out the numbers for the front suspension. I also need to find out from SCCA as to what class I will be able to run the PPV in. Sadly I think it will be placed in the specialty class like the SS Camaros were. :( Big Ass Tuna boat in a specialty class is going to hurt for getting any trophies.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It's currently classed in F Street (V8 not otherwise classed). You'll have to write a letter/email to the Solo board requesting classing if you want to compete in national events. In F Street, though, you'd be a back-marker, but it would be fun to see how many fellow-competitors days' you could ruin. :lol:

I'd think this thing could be a decent fit in G Street, because of stock weight and the limited wheel choices, but a letter would have to go in before any consideration happened. We've run our car, in totally-off the street form, but run in C Prepared, in order to keep our Year-end points count going. It's a hoot to drive, and would be a LOT of fun with some sticky tires. Not sure I'll get tires on it, but will definitely be trying it again after the coil-overs/bars are installed.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?