Clunk in Front Suspension 2013 9C1

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
ejf2461

Clunk in Front Suspension 2013 9C1

Post by ejf2461 »

Well Guys, My OCD is @ Full Throttle. When I go over Indianapolis Pothole and Less than perfect roads I hear a small clunk in the front suspension. I have rear this is common on this forum and also the G8 board. The suspension is also pulling a bit to the right which is also common on these cars: GM make a an Camber Adjuster Kit PN#92218339 and its cheap. I guess it give your .5 degree of camber to equal the steering knuckle out. Problem is it say on most website its for 2011-2012 Caprice's and mine is a 2013. Anyone installed this kit?

The clunk is suppose to be the strut mount bushing which the factory one fails easy. A have read that BMR makes a poly one that makes your front end harsh and Monroe & Whiteline make kits that also include a new bearing. I am having the dealer road force balance 2 new Eagle Rsa tires, Install the camber adjuster kit if it will fit, New Sway Bar Bushings & Links, New Front Struts, New Upper & Lower Control Arms & Steering Knuckles & New Strut Mount Bushings & Bearings. Then get a 4 wheel alignment and pray the clunk is gone. Any body rebuilt there front suspension before?
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
CrashTestDummy

Re: Clunk in Front Suspension 2013 9C1

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nope, but will soon. I have a set of BC coil overs and sway bars to install. I may do the brake upgrade, too while I have the car off the wheels.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

why would the camber kit have anything to do with the clunk noise? At the miles your at its most likely the factory bearing which is under the top mount on the front strut. The factory type bushings/bearings are available aftermarket for almost the same price as the camber kit, and you are using all other stock parts so why would you need that? Its very easy to change just that part out, Seeing how you are now selling why not just put another factory one in there? The front aftermarket poly mounts have good reviews otherwise I'm not seeing anyone say its a comfort downgrade after install but they aren't free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD0BRa-NXHE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

The camber kit just makes it possible to get a perfect alignment. The dealer says the design without it will always pull to the right. Today the dealer states sway bar links and strut mount bushing & bearings will fix the clunk.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Just happened to come across this tonight thought you might find it interesting for your rebuild. seems like there are some updated parts.

http://i.imgur.com/hYWAhS3.png?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Interesting that the new left and right strut part numbers are for 2012 and up Caprices. Adds some relevance to comments about the original front struts being to harsh. I believe that Navy Lifer first posted on this. And when I swapped to the Sedan SS springs I swapped to the 2012 and up struts. I did notice a little difference. But, I don't think that we swapped to the newer style top bushing assembly.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Yeah I'm torn now, I have the new OEM SS springs and 12+ GM struts to install next month on my 2011 and the front mounts look physically ok from what i see online they tend to show cracks, but can also explode internally. My hotrod self says to buy the Whiteline Poly mounts which would actually be cheaper than 2 new GM rubber ones but there's also the aftermarket ones some of which are much cheaper and I see Moog makes them which I've never had issues with. I love this cars "limo ride" and part of the reason I went with these springs is that it will be that much smoother afterward so maybe the combo with the Poly is a bad idea?
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

my front strut mounts were fine (i thought they had failed, as I also had a noise) so I replaced them with BMR poly mounts, BMR bearings and eibach springs and the ride feels about the same. I didnt notice any difference with the ride and neither did the girlfriend who spends a lot of the time in the car. I don't let her drive as I hate her car.

I will say the noise is still there, so I am still chasing...
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
M22muncie

Post by M22muncie »

Mine has a clunk over bumps too.. Driving me crazy. The dealer I bought it from told me the rack and pinion was making the noise...?