Brakes - Keeping it simple

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
yargnits

Brakes - Keeping it simple

Post by yargnits »

In my quest to reduce brake dust I put some carbon fiber ceramic pads on the front. I thought it'd be nice to throw on some rotors too. This is the Power Stop kit available from Rock Auto.
Attachments
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (71.44 KiB) Viewed 14407 times
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Brakes - Keeping it simple

Post by smwalker »

post some part numbers and or manufactures as those are definitely in my future. Never seen brake dust stick to the side of a vehicle before!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

smwalker wrote:post some part numbers and or manufactures as those are definitely in my future. Never seen brake dust stick to the side of a vehicle before!
Give me a week or so to see how fast the dust builds up. The break-in did dust them up a tad but I think day to day driving will be okay.

A link to the kit is:http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 73&jsn=299

About $210 shipped to my door. It's listed as PowerStop kit K5948 which includes: AR82125XL left rotor, AR82125XR right rotor and Z231404 Z23 pads.

Note: Absolutely necessary to break in the pads/rotors properly regardless of what new parts you use.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

I would also like to know if it stops as hard as oem. I plan on auto crossing mine and aside from dusting i love how hard or quick the Caprice stops
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I highly doubt they will stop as good, I literally scared myself a few times on hard stops and after i switched to standard ceramic pads they definitely don't bite as hard. I just did a panic stop last night for a deer and I was doubting if i was gonna make it, don't get me wrong it was probably something like 15 feet more while going 60-0 than if i had stock pads still. Perhaps using brand new rotors would increase the new ones ability also but i was being a cheap ass and trying to cut the dust which is has significantly so I'm ok with the compromises, i mean the car still stops great its just not that eyeballs falling out like stock was...
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

My first thought when heading out to break the pads in was that they didn't stop as well as the OEM "cop" pads. While that disappoints me a bit, the fact that the rear wheels get dirty before the fronts make me feel pretty good about the swap. So IMO, if you're auto-crossing, keep the original pads but get the rotors for the better cooling / fade resistance. Just get some black alum wheels too.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

However, also remember that you will be doing rotors as well as pads if you use the stock police Federal-Mogul pads each & every time you do brakes. Those pads are very abrasive and even moderate d/d braking will eat rotors. All well & good as long as you budget for complete changeout every time you do brakes. But you will see very short stopping distances without a doubt, along with the commensurate cloud of brake dust! :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

What they look like with my wheels on. Cool for the people that notice, however I hope they don't look to close... The rear rotors are stock.
Attachments
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG (79.33 KiB) Viewed 14320 times
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT