Anyone running BMR control arms?

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
eagle-co94

Anyone running BMR control arms?

Post by eagle-co94 »

I'm curious what everyone's take is on them and if they're a good upgrade.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Anyone running BMR control arms?

Post by Navy Lifer »

What problem(s) do our cars have that these are supposed to "fix"? At what point do they become necessary or beneficial? The only thing I can think of is that the BMR and other aftermarket arms have a beefier sway bar mount--G8's with a rear bar upgrade were known for having a tendency to separate the sway bar link or to tear out the bracket on the control arm itself--if you look at Caprice, SS sedan, and Camaro over the years since then, you'll see there have been several re-design efforts and changes in bar sizing--2011-2013 PPV rear is 16mm, but 2014 SS jumps all the way to 28mm, and a totally different link setup was employed on the LCA's, and 2015 SS changed again.

I don't mean this as a challenge to you, personally--nor am I saying that BMR and the many other suppliers of similar parts are selling snake oil, but I'm not sure it's a given that some of this stuff is necessary for a daily-driver. More HP, bigger tires, and an emphasis/focus on specific use (ie. drag racing, most commonly), can change that to some extent, but once the money is spent and parts installed, it's pretty hard for the average guy to be objective about the decision, since few want to admit that the money spent wasn't justified.

For example--I'm personally working on a rear lower control arm mod so I'll be able to run the 2015 SS sedan "wide stance" rear sway bar setup. I'm starting with the service package Camaro rear lower control arms (in Chevy Performance Parts catalog), which are designed to work with the wider rear sway bar--the stock PPV lower control arms, as well as G8 and 2014 SS, do not have the provision to do this, and I chose the Camaro arms over the stock 2015 SS arms just as a matter of the big difference in cost--it still remains to be seen if I can make them work.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I don't know of any specific issues myself but once I get the LSA into the car and V2 19's with 285 rubber on the car I'll be looking at more mods like swapping out my exhaust, a pulley and possibly a cam. I will definitely be taking the car to the drag strip occasionally and may try my hand at autocross. I figured if they will help out in the future I might pick up a set that I've been offered for close to half price.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Don't the BMR parts have higher-durometer bushings? I think one of the things they help do is reduce wheel hop, which you can start to experience with high-HP and sticky tires. Don't know for sure. They look to be very beefy parts, so when I was looking at them, there doesn't seem to be any weight savings with using them. I would LOVE to know the weight difference, though.

There is also an 'adjustable' option, which could allow you to get a higher range of adjustability, should you need to get the rear wheels back vertical after lowering, or get more negative camber for better cornering.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

That and i believe they have are knotched a little to provide extra room for for wheels. ( i know when i was tackling my set up I looked at theirs a couple times)
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Well it turns out the seller on the Facebook page keeps changing his price so I'm passing on them. It looks like he's at $350 shipped. They're the previous generation which don't look as sturdy as the current model and his looked like they might be a little tweaked. I figured for almost half price it might be a good opportunity to go for them but I'll just wait until further down the road. I have no need for them right now at all.
BMR Sales

Post by BMR Sales »

I'm here guys, but I need to do some research into this platform to what fits a Caprice from our G-8, SS & Camaro line-up

T.C.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

welcome to the community!
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

little update on this thread. I wasnt the O.P but running a set of B.M.R rear control arms! very happy with them. car feels greats. I see some more of their parts in m future
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

When you did the spring install did you change out the front strut mount bushings or any other parts? I see on G8 forums they are always complaining the OEM parts don't last and lots of people switch them out for new or poly versions when doing the spring swaps? How hard is this to do for a guy at home using floor jacks etc? I realize I will need alignment after.