Cadillac J55 front brake conversion (upgrade?)

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Cadillac J55 front brake conversion (upgrade?)

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've mentioned this before, but realized now that it's buried in other threads, so I thought I'd bring it out into the open in it's own thread. No idea if there is appeal to anyone to do this (over a Brembo conversion)....the rotors remain the same (stock PPV), but that's not bad, compared to a G8, or knowing that the new Camaro (6th gen) and base C7 Corvette are also running 345mm front rotors (not the same PN's as PPV or CTS).

Anyway, a couple of links from Zeckhausen Racing (brake supplier) "inspired" me to go ahead and make this a separate thread--you can see what the caliper looks like, and that it's a twin-piston floating design.

https://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/in ... _4478_4480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/po ... ?pID=16737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a re-post of the meat of the J55 info I had previously posted--I'll just wait & see if anyone wants to discuss it further. I will say the pad choices for this caliper are somewhat limited, and the OE pads are notoriously dirty.

Rotor Info
Navy Lifer wrote:Here's an interesting bit of information....the OE PPV front rotor and CTS J55 (V6 HD) front rotor are the same part, even though they have different part numbers. The PPV rotor package is labeled "Made in Australia" and the CTS rotor package is labeled "Made in Mexico". From comparing the actual parts, they are exactly the same part in every way, and both appear to me to be sourced from NA - Mexico. in spite of the PPV rotor package labeling--maybe that refers to the box or label!!!

Part Numbers:
Cadillac CTS J55
ACDelco 177-1065
GM 25946317

Chevrolet Caprice PPV
ACDelco 177-1122
GM 92260109

Pricing (GM Parts Direct & Rock Auto comparisons) - need to check with Dal, too.
Cadillac CTS J55
GMPD $86.95 each - delivered (outside NC)
R.A. $65.17 (before shipping or discount)

Chevrolet Caprice PPV
GMPD $94.79 each - delivered (outside NC)
R.A. $93.79 each (before shipping or discount)

All this is for reference, as there are plenty of other suppliers of replacement rotors listed at Rock Auto, for less money.
Calipers
Navy Lifer wrote:While I imagine I'll end up with a Brembo caliper system using CTS-V (2004-2007) calipers and rotors eventually, assuming they will clear 18" wheels, the other thing I have been looking at is running the CTS J55 HD brake twin-piston calipers on front--as mentioned earlier, the PPV and CTS J55 brakes share the same 345mm rotor. At this point I have not done a build-up & fit check, but I do have parts to do so--what I don't know is whether the CTS J55 caliper will fit & clear the stock steel wheel. When I finally do get that done, I'll provide another update.
Navy Lifer wrote:OE PPV rotor diameters are 345mm front and 324mm rear. There IS a possible front caliper swap that can be done using the J55 (heavy duty) twin-piston floating caliper found on 2nd generation CTS (not CTS-V), using the same 345mm front rotor. I acquired most of the parts for this, but do not intend to install them on my PPV, since I'm going straight to the Brembo configuration. To be clear, the Brembo calipers are NOT compatible with the stock-size (345mm) front rotors.

I've not mentioned this before now, I don't think, but I can dig around and find the stuff, put up some pictures and PN's, if interested.
I do recall someone asking about the parts I have, what they cost, etc--I still need to work on that--remind me again if you want the info.
xcidmigs

Re: Cadillac J55 front brake conversion (upgrade?)

Post by xcidmigs »

So just to make sure I understand the J55 caliper and bracket will just bolt up to the caprice front knuckle without any adapter etc? And then use the stock PPV rotor? The calipers look very similar to stock c5 or LS1 F body units to me? 2x42mm pistons etc...

Im seeing the reman calipers on R.A. with the brackets are $41 plus the refundable core cost...
Looks exactly the same brand even?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 36&jpid=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is that what you have? The cost is very low considering you can reuse the PPV rotors and just need a set of pads then.

what about these...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 37&jpid=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm interested to try it but I'm not sure you will see much difference since the rotor size is the same, it may just come down to which pad you are using on either version. The stock 2011 PPV pad is going to be hard to beat. although the size of the J55 pad is more square so you might be getting an advantage there. The caliper piston area is actually slightly smaller on the J55 caliper when you do the math on the PPV single 60mm vs the dual 42mm Caddy ones. I think if you needed new brakes but didn't want to pony up to the brembos its a good option just not sure you will see much improvement over new PPV parts.